Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ashley Maynard-Brewer - Interview discussing earlier injury woes (p14)

18910111214»

Comments

• Crusty54 said:
    Never knew what the hype was about having never seen him do anything, but, posters who watch the yoot said he looked good plus training ground itk's always claimed he was very highly thought of. 

Doesn't mean he still is of course, (if he was) will be a good loan to see just where he stands, but I'm with Callum in that I don't think we'll see him back here and starting, mainly, as I doubt a loan at the Gill's in league 2 will suddenly turn him into a ball playing goalkeeper for the Garner style....
    Yeah I watched the youth up until covid anyway and AMB never had the wow factor. I remember a few years back before he broke through @seth plum" saying that Phillips was our best keeper and I agreed with him at the time.

FWIW the only keeper on our books coming through who excites me is Kone. I haven't seen any errors from him in respect of shot saving at least.
    Kone does have a habit of straying out of the penalty area.

Goalies are coached to be Sweeper keepers now.  David James was ahead of his time.
    I still think the jeopardy factor is too high at times when keepers go walk about; Just ask David Marshall. 

• The Gills have just signed Newcastle's reserve keeper on loan as well, so he might not be first choice there.
  • The Gills have just signed Newcastle's reserve keeper on loan as well, so he might not be first choice there.
    I would hope we got assurances he would play but maybe thats why we made sure of the recall will be pointless him sitting on the bench

tbf we prob told chels and tottenham we would play castillo and john so …
    I would hope we got assurances he would play but maybe thats why we made sure of the recall will be pointless him sitting on the bench

Newcastle might have done the same 🤔
    It's probably whoever gets the free loan or massively reduced wages that have to play (imo)

It's probably whoever gets the free loan or massively reduced wages that have to play (imo)
    The lad from Newcastle is on a permanent deal having been released after expiry of contract. He is also 23, hasn't played much professional footballl and he's had a few loans so I'm still hopeful AMB will have the gloves. Then it's up to him to keep them.
  • I'd be surprised if we havent inserted a similar clause to the one we tied Ross County to - If Ashley plays, then its to his advantage, if he doesnt play then its to our advantage and Gillingham have to compensate us in that scenario
  • Kips said:
    The Gills have just signed Newcastle's reserve keeper on loan as well, so he might not be first choice there.

The lad from Newcastle is on a permanent deal having been released after expiry of contract. He is also 23, hasn't played much professional footballl and he's had a few loans so I'm still hopeful AMB will have the gloves. Then it's up to him to keep them.
    Ah didn't realise it was permanent, you're probably right then.
  • AMB came off after 20 minutes today for Gillingham. Another shoulder injury. Hoping it’s not another dislocation.

Got to worry for his career with all these injuries at such a young age.
  • He really is quite injury prone the poor lad. 
  • edited July 2022
    Harris post match saying it’s likely a dislocated shoulder.
  • Sponsored links:

• It looks like the club made the right decision sending him out on loan and keeping McG. We need 2 fully fit goalkeepers competing for the Jersey.

That's 3 injuries in 2 loans that will keep him out for a number of games. 
  • That is desperately disappointing for the lad.
    Hope he gets a swift recovery, but there is going to be the ongoing worry this will blight his career.
  • Worrying if he has a physical weakness there, as keepers will always be landing heavily on their shoulders 
  • Our players get injured even when they're not playing for us.

Cursed.
  • So damn unlucky.
    Best wishes Ashley.
    Harness must be kept in house.
  • Rules him out of making a last ditch attempt at being in the Australia team for the World Cup too
  • Sponsored links:

• Ill today, but gets a lot of injuries for a Goalkeeper...
  • I wondered if a bid had come in for him? 🙄