Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich v Charlton | Tues 30 Dec | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Ipswich Town v Charlton Athletic
7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Chris Kavanagh (Lancashire)

INTRODUCTION

With the result confirmed against Boxing Day opposition; Cardiff City, it meant that the Addicks have faced all twenty three teams in this seasons Championship, sitting in 11th place with 31-points is certainly an improvement on last season (and that position could improve on Saturday should Charlton win by at least two goals)... With all teams faced though its time to do it all again, we must forget the faults of the players from past matches, we're now in a twenty-three match play-off against all other teams from our Division and it begins this Tuesday against Ipswich Town...

THE OPPOSITION
It has only been a month since the Addicks last faced Ipswich at the Valley... On that occasion the Sky cameras came to town in what was probably one of the best performances from the home team this season with Charlton wasting plenty of chances to keep all three points in South East London... Sadly Ipswich would take those three points back to Suffolk with a last minute winner from Striker: Noel Hunt.

Since that result there has only ever been one direction from Mick McCarthy's side and that is up... Just the one draw (0-0 at Bolton Wanderers) has seen Ipswich fail to take maximum points and they currently occupy 2nd spot in the league and will go to just one point behind leaders Bournemouth with a win on Tuesday night... In fact you have to go back to the middle of October to see when Ipswich last lost (on the road at Cardiff City) whilst you have to go back to August to find when Ipswich last lost at Portman Road, the Addicks will certainly need to be on top of their game to get a win this midweek.

KEY PLAYER
Even though they didnt feature at the Valley this season there are plenty of ex-Addicks who could come up against their old side this Tuesday in Midfielders: Cameron Stewart and Darren Ambrose whilst the link from Charlton is academy graduate: Morgan Fox... Of course the main player to have appeared for both sides is probably striker: Darren Bent.

My player to watch though is currently top of the Championship scoring charts: Daryl Murphy who has 16-goals to his name this term... Starting his career at Luton Town, Daryl would come to fame signing for Sunderland in 2005 having a 5-year spell at the club, initially signing for the Tractor Boys on loan, Murphy has gone on to have four spells in Suffolk with a stint at Celtic in between... With three goals in his last two matches, our defenders will once again need to be at the top of their game to keep the Irish striker from adding to his tally.

LINE-UP
With Charlton fighting back from a goal down against Cardiff on Boxing Day, Peeters could be loath to make changes, the one forced change will be Callum Harriott who serves a ban following his red card on Friday... Neil Etheridge should remain in goal whilst it remains to be seen if Chris Solly continues or if he is rested.

Etheridge
Solly - Ben-Haim - Bikey - Gomez
Gudmundsson - Buyens - Jackson - Cousins
Vetokele - Tucudean

PREDICTION
Teams have to lose at some stage and I see revenge for the late goal last time out.

Ipswich Town 0-1 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• I'll take that. 1-0 to us COYR
  • I'd take a 0-0.
  • Fantastic result by Ipswich at Brentford, comfortable home victory of 2-0.
  • 3-0 to Ipswich a point will be a miracle
  • Watch us go 1-0 up, end up drawing and Bob gets crucified on here.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • "whilst the link from Charlton is academy graduate: Morgan Fox... Of course the main player to have appeared for both sides is probably striker: Darren Bent." Not sure Matty Holland would agree with that!
  • The hermanator?!
  • Money on a 1-0 away win
  • Sponsored links:

• COYA!
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.

i have a feeling this may be the week you are right happyvalley, i agree they need to lose sometime
  • in reality i will take a 1-1 draw with Vetokele to break his drought. perhaps we could sneak out with all three points if we play the way we did in the second half on boxing day (lets start with 10 men). if we do that, we'll have a decent chance of getting a good result
  • 0-1 to BP's whatever colour army
  • Sticking my neck out here.

1-1.
  • First time up there for me since that epic Cup tie when we took 5,000. When was that? Les Berry's finest hour, and we had a young Paul Walsh up front.
    They had a good win at Brentford, but they were not better than us at the Valley. If Igor is champing at the bit to make amends and JBG carries on where he left off, we can surprise them.
  • After Friday I decided to check this ref out, his last game was Boxing day Donny v Coventry

5 Yellows and 2 Reds he gave
  • We are going to do to them what they did to us at the Valley. Keep it tight and hit them with a sucker punch late on. 0-1. No repeat of the attacking bravado seen in the second half against Cardiff, but 3 welcome points. Very confident.
  • The date is Tues 30th Dec, ForeverAddickted.
    1-1 banker
  • We need to make sure we take a selection of studs and footwear for each player. Weather could be significant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't see anything other than a defeat. Unless Ipswich have an off days will say 2-0 to the Tractor boys
  • Barring the injured Henderson and Wiggins, Isn't that the team that started the first few games of the season? Probably the team I'd put out.
  • Glad Pope won't be playing as he is a massive Ipswich fan... At least then he'd have an excuse ;)
  • 1-2 Charlton
  • Quite fancy going to this one, but trying to get the motivation up to drive on my own from south Lincolnshire
  • I can't see us winning this one, 2-0 to the carrot crunchers.
  • On paper this looks tough 2-0 or 3-0 to home side not unreasonable.

Got a feeling we may get something from this, not quite confident enough to predict a win, but 2-2 maybe??

Sod it, 1-0 Charlton, re run of the last trip to the eastern waste lands.
  • I'll be over the moon with a 0-0. Can't see it though, 2-0 to Ipswich.
  • edited December 2014

On paper this looks tough 2-0 or 3-0 to home side not unreasonable.

Got a feeling we may get something from this, not quite confident enough to predict a win, but 2-2 maybe??

Sod it, 1-0 Charlton, re run of the last trip to the eastern waste lands.

Oi, less of the Eastern wastelands, please - nice part of the world round here - we even get fresh air from the seaside!

Nervous about the game but delighted with the 10 minute drive to Portman Road from ours.

My prediction is 1-1 but I would not be surprised if we sneaked a win.
    Happy either way as ITFC playing with confidence.