Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

why do we always seem to concede the greater possession

To the other team ? Or do we ?

Comments

• Options
    More importantly, why does it matter?

When we beat Arsenal at Highbury 4 - 2 they had 66% of the possession and we had 66% (recurring) of the goals.
  • Options

To the other team ? Or do we ?

You cant score if you don't have possession, assuming we only play with one ball.....and not good for my heart palpitations !
  • Options
    Possession isn't everything.

It's what you do with the ball when you've got it.

Looking at the stats as they show the goals on SSN today a lot of the teams that got a result had less possession than the teams that were expected to win.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    It will hopefully improve in time. Let's not forget we've 3 teams that were in the play-offs last season, all known for playing decent passing football.

We dominated possession against 10 man Colchester with a weakened team. I'd expect possession to be closer against the weaker teams in this league. Bulot and a new striker may make a difference as well.

What is exciting is we do create chances when we have the ball. Derby, Wigan and Brighton saw plenty of the ball but often couldn't find a way through.
  • Options
    63% possession against Huddersfield, didn't do much with it though...
  • Options

More importantly, why does it matter?

When we beat Arsenal at Highbury 4 - 2 they had 66% of the possession and we had 66% (recurring) of the goals.

I would imagine the minimum of possession should be 45% because like yesterday you spend so much time chasing and blocking that you concede late on by mental tiredness which was showned by brighton having 3 players unmarked in the box despite numerous cafc guys a few yards away, for the last goal.

Henry, your statement is true up to a point but you rely so much on the other teams strikers missing their chances.
    Two clear cut ones in the first half yesterday, that we can only beat the odds so many times.

I feel big bob is aware of this, and the passing and movement against Derby (the magic twenty mins in the first half)
    is the work in progress

• Options
    Noticed yesterday that Chelsea had 30odd per cent possession yet scored 6 goals !
    It is a concern, because you must use more energy chasing the ball rather than when you have it- and potentially shows that your midfield maybe isnt as good on the ball as the other team.
  • Options

Possession isn't everything.

It's what you do with the ball when you've got it.

Looking at the stats as they show the goals on SSN today a lot of the teams that got a result had less possession than the teams that were expected to win.

My words exactly from yesterday, SA.

• Options
    It's an evolving group of players and style to suit. I would feel much more comfortable if the possession stats were a little closer. To suggest it's not important might well be true for an individual game or two but overall it is teams that can retain the ball that dictate play and invariably are the better teams in the division.

The group of players being assembled looks to a man to be comfortable on the ball so I would expect that once the team and coach are more comfortable with each other and a "Peeters style" develops properly that we will see those stats changing in our favour.

• Options
    A lot of possession comes from teams who play from the back, along the back line, up to midfield and round and round, plenty of possession, but it can take a dozen passes before it gets to the opposition half. I am not advacating long balls up to the forwards, just saying a lot of possession does not mean you are the best team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Better teams do see more of the ball. They can still be beaten of course but you can't score a goal if you don't have the ball.
  • Options
    Interesting points being made: for and against possession.

Only saw highlights last night but Chelsea attacked with pace and made killer passes when they had the ball.

Could it be about the quality of possession ?
  • Options
    I don't know if anyone produces 'territory' data, like they have in rugby, but it felt like the ball was in our half for about 80 minutes yesterday. As I commented to the bloke next to me during the second half yesterday, 'I think there's a football match taking place over there'.
  • Options
    The first 20 minutes against Derby in the league the possession was 99.9% in our favour so we can do it when we want to.

(not sure if that's the official Opta stat)
  • Options
    Better passing teams will score on possession but not necessarily goals. Charlton passed as well as Brighton but for shorter periods but thought we looked much more dangerous when we put an attack together. We committed unforced errors where Brighton didn't so they had more of the ball so deserve to be called a better passing team but they didn't easily break us down. We didn't resort to hoofing which in the past would have resulted in a low possession count, we just need to avoid the errors in transition from defence to attack. Not digging them out, but if Cousins, Gudmanssun and Tucadean/Church made more effective contributions linking defence and attack, we would have had more possession.

if we start having 60% possession, for us, I'm sure it would mean many more goals but can't see that happening until we have players, familiar with one another, playing in their natural positions in midfield. Whether I am right, confident Bob knows what needs to be done.
  • Options
    When we play weaker teams (eventually) we might have more possession as they sit back and make us try to create. This is where we have struggled these last couple of years whereas the top teams are always looking for three points off of us, home and away. We have the pace and goals to compete with the top end and I hope this continues in the next two home games. As @scoham states we've played top teams so far and Bulot and a new striker may make a difference as well.

We've earned our place in the top six and it's up to us to stay there - matches vs Rotherham and Boro will really determine where we are by end September. Perhaps possession stats will improve gradually as the team gels but the real important stat is attempts on goal... for pure entertainment it's great when it's c.15 or one attempt every six minutes!
  • Options
    I did not go, but a Brighton fan on here said we played with 10 men behind the ball all game. Please someone deny that story, presume just annoyed that they did not win, as they were supposed to
  • Options
    Man City had 72% possession yesterday and yet lost 1-0 to Stoke.

Surely that incredibly high percentage for a losing side proves possession does not matter.
  • Options

Man City had 72% possession yesterday and yet lost 1-0 to Stoke.

Surely that incredibly high percentage for a losing side proves possession does not matter.

But Man City will dominate possession against the vast majority of teams they play this season and will win most of them.

• Options
    ross1 said:

I did not go, but a Brighton fan on here said we played with 10 men behind the ball all game. Please someone deny that story, presume just annoyed that they did not win, as they were supposed to

We definitely sat back and let them come at us for much of the game, but when we had the ball and spells of possession our attacking intent was clear - and our passing at times excellent. No doubt though that part of Peeter's plan was to frustrate them so the Brighton fans are half right I suppose.

We time wasted to the extreme in the second half when in the lead which probably didn't help their appreciation of our tactics!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Players like to be in control in terms of possession as it makes them feel more on top and conserves energy. Fans like fast paced counter attacking football. It is good to have possession but if you make 5 passes in defence and a few in midfield, only to be quickly broken down, what is the advantage
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Two years ago at Brighton we really did set our stall out for a 0-0. Yesterday was nothing like that.
  • Options
    Ask Jose Mourinho what he thinks about possession.
    I was told it was 33% for Chelsea yesterday and they won 6-3.
    I'd love to know the possession stat was for Mourinho's 10 man Inter when they beat Barca in the Champions League, wouldn't be surprised if it was as low as 15%.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Putting ten men behind the ball suggests we didn't try to seriously attack. We tried to pass our way out of defence 90% of the time but most times just broke down in midfield. Can understand the perception but its frustration they struggled to find a way through our defence.