Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Press Day Today (24th Aug, page 31)

Comments

• Options
    gawd he can talk can't he. Why don't he just shut up and get on with it. He knew what he was walking into so don't start whinging about it now mate. And nothing will change despite your 'chats'. And I'm sure you will soon have your last 'chat' anyway.
  • Options
    Beware the President Robbo , every season follows the same pattern. The first manager of the season gets the axe Oct / Nov and the replacement gets the chop Feb / March
  • Options
    The way he choked when the interviewer invited him to acknowledge we have a very strong squad says it all for me. His boss has obviously told him the same thing and KR isn't happy.

If his comments on strengthening the squad are going against the party line, his days are numbered. But dismissal will be dressed up as failing to get us into the playoffs. A compliant manager is more important than continuity, or even results, in the parallel universe of our demented owner and his puppet.

Whatever you might think of him as a manager, KR is a salesman and getting players to sign up in the lower leagues is as much a selling job as anything. For that reason alone, pretending we could assume a logical approach from the club, I would, stick with him just so we start next season with some squad continuity.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    He wants a squad of 22 equal quality players all competing for their positions, wants to bring in 8 or so while some will be asked to leave. Doesn't seem to add up to me
  • Options

Haven't seen the video but what you say is true, he says a lot of things that make sense.

Trouble is what he says doesn't matter.

Just win games.

You can't win games with the players we have they have all been here too long and are bogged down in the whole scenario. He needs the summer, he needs desperately to ship out Bauer tex cellabos sarr watt ajose crofts couple that with the loan shite of Rudd, Byrne mavidi botaka and then he go again.

I didn't see us challenging for promotion under Russell and I don't see it now but I'm prepared to give him the summer to pick his own players and go again
    Yes, but he won't be given the money will he? And I reckon half the January intake wasn't his choice either.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    razil said:

He wants a squad of 22 equal quality players all competing for their positions, wants to bring in 8 or so while some will be asked to leave. Doesn't seem to add up to me

The likelihood of Roland agreeing to that is so remote as to be non existent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry's stat speaks volumes, not just for KR's explanation, but also for the instability that wrecks any chance of planning ahead. And who exactly is he going to "upset"? (apart from supporters). We all know very well who needs to be exposed but in the same interview Robinson speaks again about how much support he's getting from him.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

The way he choked when the interviewer invited him to acknowledge we have a very strong squad says it all for me. His boss has obviously told him the same thing and KR isn't happy.

If his comments on strengthening the squad are going against the party line, his days are numbered. But dismissal will be dressed up as failing to get us into the playoffs. A compliant manager is more important than continuity, or even results, in the parallel universe of our demented owner and his puppet.

Whatever you might think of him as a manager, KR is a salesman and getting players to sign up in the lower leagues is as much a selling job as anything. For that reason alone, pretending we could assume a logical approach from the club, I would, stick with him just so we start next season with some squad continuity.

Sensible and makes sense.

I say bring in O'Loughlin, it seems inevitable, and let chaos resume.
  • Options
    Actually, he is absolutely right. We do need a cultural change at the club. It is what CARD and most of us think too.

The only difference is that he (may) think there is a different way to acheive it. That fact that he is on the right lines should be applauded not ridiculed. Supporting Robbo is in my view essential. We should be singing his name and give him as much support as we can to bring in the changes he wants to make. Surely it is what we want as well? We certainly should not be doing anything to make it easy for Roland to sack him for God's sake! We could do with some dissenting voices within the club. Maybe he will get through to Rolly as he seems to like enthusiasm.

I really don't get those who hate listening to him - but listen live to every post? You love him really or you wouldn't bother. Or maybe you're getting to enjoy being negative?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Actually, he is absolutely right. We do need a cultural change at the club. It is what CARD and most of us think too.

The only difference is that he (may) think there is a different way to acheive it. That fact that he is on the right lines should be applauded not ridiculed. Supporting Robbo is in my view essential. We should be singing his name and give him as much support as we can to bring in the changes he wants to make. Surely it is what we want as well? We certainly should not be doing anything to make it easy for Roland to sack him for God's sake! We could do with some dissenting voices within the club. Maybe he will get through to Rolly as he seems to like enthusiasm.

I really don't get those who hate listening to him - but listen live to every post? You love him really or you wouldn't bother. Or maybe you're getting to enjoy being negative?

Any manager signing up with the Belgians know the score. He has zero credibility, particularly after sucking up to them when he signed.
  • Options
    Not many of our 18 wouldn't be feted by any club in L1. KR has no more clue about who is his best side than most of us.
  • Options

Not many of our 18 wouldn't be feted by any club in L1. KR has no more clue about who is his best side than most of us and a lot less than Thomas Driesen.

• Options
    harlton Athletic FC‏Verified account @CAFCofficial 19m19 minutes ago
    More
    That concludes Karl's pre-match press conference. We'll have full video and written reaction on http://www.cafc.co.uk later today. #cafc
    0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
    Reply Retweet
    Charlton Athletic FC‏Verified account @CAFCofficial 20m20 minutes ago
    More
    KR | "It will be a very emotional evening." #cafc
    0 replies 1 retweet 7 likes
    Reply Retweet 1
    Like 7
    Charlton Athletic FC‏Verified account @CAFCofficial 23m23 minutes ago
    More
    KR | "We'll be proud to wear Keith's warrant number on our shirts that night but obviously we'd prefer it if he was there watching us. #cafc
    1 reply 7 retweets 10 likes
    Reply 1 Retweet 7
    Like 10
    Charlton Athletic FC‏Verified account @CAFCofficial 25m25 minutes ago
    More
    KR | [on the players donating their appearance fees on Tuesday] "Johnnie Jackson spoke with the players and it's a very nice gesture. #cafc
    1 reply 5 retweets 14 likes
    Reply 1 Retweet 5
    Like 14
    Charlton Athletic FC‏Verified account @CAFCofficial 31m31 minutes ago
    More
    KR | "Two of Josh Magennis, Jason Pearce and Chris Solly could be in the squad on Saturday. I won't say who is starting, though! #cafc
    0 replies 0 retweets 4 likes
    Reply Retweet
    Like 4
    Charlton Athletic FC‏Verified account @CAFCofficial 32m32 minutes ago
    More
    KR | "I want us to be two weeks ahead of every other club and I want us to be ready to go once pre-season starts. #cafc
    Reply Retweet
    Like 4
    Charlton Athletic FC‏Verified account @CAFCofficial 33m33 minutes ago
    More
    KR | "The players will come in at four points during the off season to prove they are keep themselves fit. #cafc
    Reply Retweet
    Like 4
    Charlton Athletic FC‏Verified account @CAFCofficial 34m34 minutes ago
    More
    KR | "There is a big summer ahead for us but we have games to focus on first. The players need to prove they want to be here. #cafc
    0 replies 0 retweets 5 likes
    Reply Retweet
    Like 5
    Charlton Athletic FC‏Verified account @CAFCofficial 39m39 minutes ago
    More
    PRESS DAY | The Manager has arrived for his pre-match presser. #cafc
  • Options
    Note it was Johnnie Jackson leading with the Appearance Fee donation!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The YouTube video is 28mins long this week. Much longer than usual.

If you can suffer through Karl's usual drivel he does speak very well and in detail on the club's tribute for PC Keith Palmer.
  • Options

If you can suffer through Karl's usual drivel he does speak very well and in detail on the club's tribute for PC Keith Palmer.

I agree he speaks very well regarding PC Keith Palmer.

For those who doubt his sincerity he would have to be an amazing actor to fake it, he means what he says when he says it, and I don't see it all as drivel. I reckon you could take a lot of parts of what he says, or areas he speaks about, and agree with nearly all of it.
    The key is shaping a team that wins matches of course. As an individual Karl is quite an intriguing person and has a number of facets, it has to be accepted that he says a lot of stuff as part of his character.
    He must win matches above everything else.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I agree he speaks very well regarding PC Keith Palmer.

For those who doubt his sincerity he would have to be an amazing actor to fake it, he means what he says when he says it, and I don't see it all as drivel. I reckon you could take a lot of parts of what he says, or areas he speaks about, and agree with nearly all of it.
    The key is shaping a team that wins matches of course. As an individual Karl is quite an intriguing person and has a number of facets, it has to be accepted that he says a lot of stuff as part of his character.
    He must win matches above everything else.
    Sorry I wasn't referring to that part of the interview as drivel. As I said when he spoke about Keith Palmer I'm sure he was sincere. It's the usual stuff he spouts about football that I was calling drivel.
  • Options
    I thought Karl spoke well today, not only regarding Tuesday's match but also about what's in place for pre season and the planning that has been done already.
    It goes without saying that we hope new owners will be in place by then and it could all change again, but should a takeover not materialize then we at least seem to preparing for next season like a professional club should.
  • Options

I thought Karl spoke well today, not only regarding Tuesday's match but also about what's in place for pre season and the planning that has been done already.
    It goes without saying that we hope new owners will be in place by then and it could all change again, but should a takeover not materialize then we at least seem to preparing for next season like a professional club should.

But we said that this season. That turned out well...
  • Options

Did we?

This time last season it was common knowledge Riga would be gone, I doubt that much of the pre season would have been planned bar the week at Liege and usual friendlies, so to have everything booked and in place now as Karl eluded to is far more organised than it ever has been under this regime.

It was also widely agreed that Slade was appointed late, pre season was the same as usual, signings were late due to the late appointment of Slade, and except for some new table cloth's at the training ground, an English manager and a few English players not much had changed.
  • Options

Did we?

This time last season it was common knowledge Riga would be gone, I doubt that much of the pre season would have been planned bar the week at Liege and usual friendlies, so to have everything booked and in place now as Karl eluded to is far more organised than it ever has been under this regime.

It was also widely agreed that Slade was appointed late, pre season was the same as usual, signings were late due to the late appointment of Slade, and except for some new table cloth's at the training ground, an English manager and a few English players not much had changed.
    It certainly seems that Slade inherited a mess, with no planned fitness regimes for the players etc
  • Options

Will all be undone by having no goalkeepers a week away from kick off. Wait, that was this season!