Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Forget Poyet - get behind Cousins

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2014

I think Poyet made Cousins job alot easier, I like him Cousins but there is a reason Diego is off elsewhere and Jordan isn't, Premier League teams can facilitate Diego and work him into a team, Jordan not so.. I know which of the two I'd prefer to keep, but let's hope Jordan outperforms himself this season, as his willingness and fitness in any and every position is second to none

Because Poyet's contract was up and not Cousins'? Cousins chose to renew in October 2013, shows some loyalty.

Had it been the other way around Cousins would probably be picked up by a Prem team as well.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-are-watching-jordan-cousins-but-hes-only-focused-on-charlton-survival-9216342.html
  • Options

I think Poyet made Cousins job alot easier, I like him Cousins but there is a reason Diego is off elsewhere and Jordan isn't, Premier League teams can facilitate Diego and work him into a team, Jordan not so.. I know which of the two I'd prefer to keep, but let's hope Jordan outperforms himself this season, as his willingness and fitness in any and every position is second to none

Poyet made the whole midfield's job easier due to his quality on the ball and always available to receive it, but I thought Cousins looked at his best earlier in the season playing that holding role himself and to me played a big part in Stephens finally clicking for an extended period. Given that the best most hoped for from Poyet was another season and a transfer fee out of him i'd lean Cousins as the one i'd have been more gutted to lose.
  • Options

I disagree, I thought Jordan Cousins played better for his first twenty games before Poyet came into the team. Sometimes Cousins was pushed wide right to accommodate Poyet and Jackson in the middle and this did not suit him. When Cousins is centre midfield he is as effective as Poyet but in a different way.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Yes, even though I voted for Poyet as POTY & thought he was outstanding. Now he has left, I too feel obliged to agree with many others on this thread & now declare, that I had a mental aberration and Cousins is a far better player and Poyet leaving is no great shakes.

NB Can't understand for the life of me why the Poyet thread has 166,000 views.
  • Options

Poyet made the whole midfield's job easier due to his quality on the ball and always available to receive it, but I thought Cousins looked at his best earlier in the season playing that holding role himself and to me played a big part in Stephens finally clicking for an extended period. Given that the best most hoped for from Poyet was another season and a transfer fee out of him i'd lean Cousins as the one i'd have been more gutted to lose.
    Absolutely spot on regarding Cousins and Stephens.
  • Options
    When I started this thread, I did not expect so many positive responses. I do not think I have read a thread on CL before where nearly everybody agrees
  • Options
    I dont think he has been overlooked at all, in fact I think we are very much appreciated. Didn't he win young player if the year? That's a great achievement!
  • Options
    FORGET POYET, He has shown club no respect or gratitude. Support Cousins and lets hope he proves to have a great career.
  • Options
    I have all ways like cousins over poyet(I think he was over rated and to many Charlton fans licked his ares) and now poyet has gone cousins can play back in the middle which is his best position. Plus he can pop up with the odd goal every now and then and set up goals around.
  • Options

Yes, even thoughts I voted for Poyet as POTY & thought he was outstanding. Now he has left, I too feel obliged to agree with many others on this thread & now declare, that I had a mental aberration and Cousins is a far better player and Poyet leaving is no great shakes.

Because most football fans are idiots, and can barely get past multiple momentary embollic reactions.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who's Poyet? Cousins is the man.
  • Options
    Big fan of JC (and this is coming from someone who didn't think he'd make the jump to 1st team). Great work-rate and always gives everything when he steps onto the pitch. Makes mistakes now and then, but he's still learning his trade. Might not reach the same heights as Poyet (but who knows?) but reckon he's got the makings of a premiership player if he carries on progressing as he is............
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

Yes, even thoughts I voted for Poyet as POTY & thought he was outstanding. Now he has left, I too feel obliged to agree with many others on this thread & now declare, that I had a mental aberration and Cousins is a far better player and Poyet leaving is no great shakes.

Because most football fans are idiots, and can barely get past multiple momentary embollic reactions.

perhaps, people from big clubs (with whom poyet has been linked), checking what us fans think about this supposedly "hot prospect".
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Diego is out of contract, Jordan isn't.

Just noticed someone else made the same comment
  • Options
    Jordan is the better athlete and Poyet has the better technique.
    The modern game is more suited to physicality which is the reason I am sure JC will also go far.

I think he is a great midfider and will play the central role excellently alongside Buyens. Quite excited about it.

JC has captain potential too - he's always talking and organising. maybe not yet but if he learned a bit from Poyet about the holdig role and learns a bit about captaincy off Johnnie Jackson then he could be a massive part of our immediate future
  • Options
    Sorry but poyet is a lot better than cousins. I do rate cousins but poyet is a much better all round (except for goals). Although in my opinion poyet coming on the scene may have stemmed cousins development as poyet was in the limelight more. Without poyet cousins could develop more.
  • Options
    Madz said:

Sorry but poyet is a lot better than cousins. I do rate cousins but poyet is a much better all round (except for goals). Although in my opinion poyet coming on the scene may have stemmed cousins development as poyet was in the limelight more. Without poyet cousins could develop more.

I agree. Some people will think poyet is a greedy git but that shouldn't cloud their judgement of a terrific talent. Some of his performances last season were superb.

Cousins is also a talent but he's got a lot more elements of his game that need improving. He had some real shockers last season and although I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of playing out of position I still expect him to be able pass 5 yards and get more involved.

However, in relation to the thread title, Jordan is contracted to Charlton so he gets my 100% support and hopefully playing next to Buyens and staying central will bring him on even further.
  • Options
    Madz said:

I disagree. Poyet impressed cos of his on the ball skills but people seem to have forgotten the goals that were scored against us when he lost the ball dribbling or misplaced a pass? In the Premiership, the pace is quicker and he'd be sorely found out. Cousins on the other hand is a "pass and run" player that's more solid and gets the game going rather than slow it down as Poyet would. That's the Premiership quality in Cousins that may not be the case with Poyet... I admit I was dazzled by Poyet's skills but, hey, this is England and not Uruguay, huh?(!)
  • Options
    Good luck to Jordan, I've always rated him. Hope he has a great season. Nice lad too.
  • Options
    I'm not basing my decision on Poyet's actions. I said all last season that Cousins is the better player. For all this talk of "there's a reason Poyet has left and Cousins hasn't" let's remember that Poyet hasn't got a club and hasn't played a single minute in the Premier League yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poyet has more class on the ball currently, but Cousins is more dynamic and energetic - he'll move with the ball instead of passing it immediately. That said, by the seasons end I expect Cousins will be all around the better player simply for having played competitive football with and against decent players instead of rotting in the reserves.
  • Options
    The thing to remember with Cousins as well is that he's only been converted into a midfielder relatively recently. With the right coaching, he'll get better and better.
  • Options
    Not sure that's the case, I saw him play right back, centre back and central midfield for the England youth sides. Perhaps a box to box role is newer for him but we may go back to playing him as a holding midfielder this season.
  • Options
    I do agree cousins is quality and let's all get behind him! But he is a slightly different player from Poyet and bit would have loved to have seen them both play in the middle of a five man midfield.. Poyet holding cousins going box to box and an adjarevic type player in front and to real wingers either side! That is the dream!
  • Options
    Worth a bump if for no other reason to see how quickly a player can go from being so good to being so bad. In some people's minds' that is.

Cousins still a good young player learning the game IMHO and one of our best this season and last.

But how we miss a sitting player who retains the ball so protecting the back four whilst buying us time to move up the pitch as well as passing the ball to the more creative players in the final third.

Yes, I'd have Poyet back like a shot.
  • Options

Worth a bump if for no other reason to see how quickly a player can go from being so good to being so bad. In some people's minds' that is.

Cousins still a good young player learning the game IMHO and one of our best this season and last.

But how we miss a sitting player who retains the ball so protecting the back four whilst buying us time to move up the pitch as well as passing the ball to the more creative players in the final third.

Yes, I'd have Poyet back like a shot.

I agree
  • Options

Cousins and Buyens could be an amazing pairing.

This
    Add Wilson Jackson and Harriott And that 5 man midfield doesn't look too shabby.

Lol
  • Options
    I personally like Cousins at left midfield, but only when Wiggins is speeding round the outside of him.
  • Options
    If I'm being honest I've never seen what the fuss about him is. If we could get a decent fee and be able to spend it I'd have no problems seeing him leave.