Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath vs. Bolton W | 30th March 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

After a short break for International fixtures, the Championship returns to normal duty this weekend meaning there will probably be a lot of unexpected results this weekend. Hopefully one of these ‘unexpected results’ can see Charlton win a home game, something the Addicks haven’t done since January.

However, in order for the Reds to do that, they must beat in-form Bolton who have won five out of their last six matches and will be fighting for that final play-off spot come the end of the season.

To add to the nerves of Saturday, we will have to put up with Trevor Kettle as our referee, the same ref who failed the give even a yellow card when Grant Basey broke his leg following a challenge from Dominic Blizzard many years ago against Bristol Rovers and also harshly sent off both Danny Hollands and Scott Wagstaff last season against Oldham.

The Opposition

Despite a poor start to the season which eventually saw the sacking of manager Owen Coyle, Bolton have had a great run of form since 2013 mainly thanks to our old Palace foe Dougie Freedman. Infact due to Bolton’s recent good form, they are now in 8th place and only five points away from the Play-Off spots.

However, despite winning five out of their last six matches, Bolton lost their last match away at relegation-threatened Ipswich, a match which Dougie Freedman described as ‘disappointing’.

Bolton’s squad is also much better than their league position actually shows mainly due to the side only getting relegated from the Premier League last season and not losing too many players. The likes of Chris Eagles, David N’Gog, Chung-Yong Lee all have Premier League quality, something that the Addicks will need to be aware of come Saturday. It may also be worth noting especially for those gamblers out there that on-loan centre back Craig Dawson has scored four goals in eight games since his arrival from West Brom.

The Line -Up

After the embarrassing defeat to Milwall in our last fixture, I expect Chris Powell to make a lot of changes come Saturday. Firstly, it is likely that Powell will recall Ben Hamer back in goal after he was dropped for the last four fixtures.

The back-four may stay the same, although Leon Cort will be pushing for a starting spot ahead of Matt Taylor if the Guyana International is fit enough.

In midfield is probably where the changes will happen. Firstly, the right-hand side of midfield will be up for grabs and one of Scott Wagstaff, Lawrie Wilson or Danny Green will likely get the starting spot.

Alternatively, Bradley Pritchard may occupy the right-hand-side with one of Dale Stephens or even Mark Gower going in the middle. Callum Harriott should continue on the left and it is likely that Johnnie Jackson will continue to lead the side in the middle of midfield. Also, despite Danny Haynes’ poor performance against Millwall, he is likely to continue upfront alongside Yann Kermorgant.

The Prediction

A very optimistic 2-1 victory.-Just seems like one of those games we might actually win.

Comments

• Comfortable home win 4-0.

• In an act of acute desperation, the entire Grumpy family is moving seats en mass from the NWQ D block to the tranquility of the East stand to change our luck at home.

If we win I will have to buy a tartan blanket and thermos flask but it will be worth it.

3-2 home win.

Massive demand for season tickets, singing in the Floyd Road, Easter eggs all round and Spring arrives at last.
  • This is going to be a very hard game so I think 5 in midfield to start. Harriot on the left and Waggy back on the right.

Jackson, Gower, Stephens the other three.

• Gower and Kerker transform the midfield and we win 2 - 0
  • we're at home, on a Saturday and ko is 3pm.

we have not got an earthly of winning.

0-5.
  • 1-0 home win. Morrison with the goal.
  • panel result away win..
  • Standard 0-2 defeat
  • Hopefully Gower will solve the Central Midfield problem of the past couple of months and add some continuity.
    1-1 draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2013
    The presence of Trevor Kettle pretty well guarantees that Charlton will be off the boil.

1-3.

I'll take a point now if offered.
  • It's a shame they lost their last game, away to Ipswich. I think they'll be up for this to avoid 2 losses on the spin. Heart says a win for us, head says a Bolton win I'm afraid. Now to be proven wrong as, usually the optimist, this is the first defeat I've predicted this season.
  • 2-1 nervy victory

we can but dream
  • Not a hope. 0-2 or 3.
  • Need the fans to get behind the team from the start and make it a loud valley. If it is i think we could win this one.
    But if its not, i can see us getting a hiding.
  • Don't get predictions saying that we might win. Have they seen us at home this season? 2-0 defeat and only a couple of points from relegation zone on Saturday night
  • 1-1 a very unusual positive prediction from me
  • Need to beat either Brighton or Bolton otherwise it'll be a nervy game vs Wolves next week
  • We are playing Leeds next week

Missing the game on Saturday going for a 2-2 draw
  • lost all interest after that effort against millwall and expecting more rubbish on saturday - plenty of effort, lose 2-1 then back for some sun bathing in the garden.
  • Sponsored links:

• 4-2 six penalties and 4 red cards with both managers sent to the stands.
  • 2-1 last minute goal breaks our bad home run
  • 2-1 to the Addicks.............match thread will be back from 2 pm.
  • Poor Refereeing equals 0-8 loss.
  • 1 up at half time. Forward taken off as we go 5 4 1. Surviving onslaught with 5 minutes to go loss of concentration they equalise. We panic 1 3 two further subs in injury time fail to turn the game
  • Would so, so love Charlton to win this but I can't see it happening. The good news is I'm probably the world's unluckiest betting man (don't win too often) so I'm gonna stick a lump on Bolton to win.
  • Home loss
  • edited March 2013
    My memory tells me that Bolton is one of the clubs we rarely do well against. Notlob are bang in form, we are not. I can only see an away win and Bolton playing Forest in the Wembley p/o final .... oooooh and BRING BACK HAMER

CAFC 1 v Bolton Wanderers 3