Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    I know it is still early days, with the vaccines hopefully not a million miles away, what do people think is the chance of fans being at the tournament and dare I say it stadiums at full capacity? I have tickets for a fair few games so trying to stay optimistic as still 6/7 months to go in which a lot can change...
    Which matches you got tickets for? I got the three below.

Last 16 in Dublin
    Quarter Final in Rome
    Final at Wembley
  • Options
    I know it is still early days, with the vaccines hopefully not a million miles away, what do people think is the chance of fans being at the tournament and dare I say it stadiums at full capacity? I have tickets for a fair few games so trying to stay optimistic as still 6/7 months to go in which a lot can change...
    With fans I can’t really see how the competition could go ahead in its current format. By June some countries will have vaccines, some won’t. Even those with vaccines will not have vaccinated all (or even a large %) of their population.

It couldn’t have been a worse time since WW2 to put on an international tournament where millions of fans will cross cross the continent to watch matches in different countries that are each at very different stages of dealing with the pandemic. Actually, it could be a deadly idea. 

I would guess that if there are to be fans allowed it will be moved to a single country or it will go ahead as scheduled but behind closed doors (or only with local fans allowed if that’s permitted by local law). 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Not sure at all. 100% more positive than I was at the start of the month though.

Still hard to vision how we go from 2K against Franchise in December to 90k in Wembley against June. I’ve got tickets for all England matches, group stage to finals. Obviously hoping it will be a normal tournament.

Uefa will need to return hundreds of millions in ticket money which might be the tiping factor in getting fans in. Money talks. 

Hoping everything is close to going back to normal as that match against Scotland would usually see huge takings for all pubs across the UK. 

• Options
    I’ve got QF in Rome. Honestly don’t see it happening how we all want it to though 
  • Options
    Surely will be in one country where it’s easier to control, keep each group within a certain area of that country until the last 16. God knows what they’ll do with fans tho.
  • Options
    Surely will be in one country where it’s easier to control, keep each group within a certain area of that country until the last 16. God knows what they’ll do with fans tho.
    It would make sense for it to be held within the British Isles. We have enough of the vaccine on order to immunise the nation by the summer (I could be making this part up) transport is in place, stadiums are in place. 15 of the 51 matches are already being played within the British Isles, finally UEFA would maximise ticket sales (opposed to say Russia).
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    It would make sense for it to be held within the British Isles. We have enough of the vaccine on order to immunise the nation by the summer (I could be making this part up) transport is in place, stadiums are in place. 15 of the 51 matches are already being played within the British Isles, finally UEFA would maximise ticket sales (opposed to say Russia).
    Three of the competing countries are British too! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    PopIcon said:
    Three of the competing countries are British too! 
    We still get to go to Dublin on a piss up.....I mean watch football.
  • Options
    I’ve got tickets for England V Croatia, England v Scotland and both semi finals... unfortunately I’ve got a feeling it will be a reduced capacity and we’ll be back in a ballot...
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Got tickets for every England game except the final + first group game 

My bet would be on all games being in the UK
    50% crowds 
    Having to provide a negative covid test for admission 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    J BLOCK said:
    Got tickets for every England game except the final + first group game 

My bet would be on all games being in the UK
    50% crowds 
    Having to provide a negative covid test for admission 
    Imagine everything would have been done in advance before tickets are issued to our phones. Will be a administrative nightmare as if you’ve ever been to a tournament, it’s a nightmare to get in the ground. Almost got crushed in Lens when we played Wales.

All tickets are meant to be E-tickets but you can guarantee there will be hundreds of fake tickets being flogged on Wembley Way for England v Scotland. 

• Options
    Got tickets for all Eng games. Genuinely don’t know if there will be fans in or not. It will certainly be a damp squib without.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Which matches you got tickets for? I got the three below.

Last 16 in Dublin
    Quarter Final in Rome
    Final at Wembley
    Nice mate. I have tickets for quite a few, all England games all the way to the final (should we get there!) But have tickets for Dublin and Rome too so will be going to those two cities for the games regardless. If we win our group I will be in the England end but if we don't, have tickets via the UEFA ballot in the neutral bit (which I suspect will be mostly England anyway!). Think if we come 2nd our games were due to be in Copenhagen and St Petersburg which I just wouldnt be doing at such short notice lol.

Also got tickets for some random games in Bucharest, Bilbao and Amsterdam. So it was set to be quite the summer last year. Looks like I have tickets for two of North Macedonia's three qualifying games, may have to adopt them as my second team...

Trying to stay positive about it but in reality the idea of it being played across Europe still just doesn't seem viable at the minute. A hell of a lot can change in 6 months is all I keep telling myself! 

I heard rumbles from a few twitter Journos they may look to ask Germany to host and have this continent wide tournament in 2024, the year which Germany were due to host. 

• Options
    Money talks surely.

No way they'll want to refund hundreds of millions in ticket/hospitality money to fans so will be doing whatever they can i'm sure to get fans in stadiums.
  • Options
    I spoke to Miguel Delaney on twitter and he said that they spoke with someone last month and they said UEFA are now confident of it being played out in the same format and aiming for 50-70% capacity for most stadiums.

Time will tell but that is a bit of hope for those with tickets. No idea how they would decide who misses out mind you. 
  • Options
    I spoke to Miguel Delaney on twitter and he said that they spoke with someone last month and they said UEFA are now confident of it being played out in the same format and aiming for 50-70% capacity for most stadiums.

Time will tell but that is a bit of hope for those with tickets. No idea how they would decide who misses out mind you. 
    I think its unlikely that all the tickets have been sold.
  • Options
    Only had a glance at the email re tickets, will read properly later.

quick read is seems we’ve got until January the 26th to get a refund.
    After that if they change the venue (decisions possibly in March) you can’t get a refund. Is that right? Sounds backwards to me.
  • Options

After that if they change the venue (decisions possibly in March) you can’t get a refund. Is that right? Sounds backwards to me.
    I think they are preparing the ground to move the tournament to a single country. The continental plan (with fans in attendance) is almost unthinkable at the moment, in fact having fans at all even if the tournament is hosted in a single country seems very unlikely.
  • Options
    anyone that has tickets im wondering what to do with mine?

currently have 

all 3 england group games
    had round of 16 ( but just cancelled them )
    semi final - dependant on england getting there
    final - dependant on england getting there 

really stuck on what to do did get this snippet from email which sounds like a cop out from uefa

14.1. The UEFA Parties, the relevant Host Association and/or the Stadium Owner reserve the right to make alterations to the time, date and location of UEFA EURO 2020 and/or the Match(es) due to unforeseen extraordinary circumstances: force majeure, safety and/or security reasons or other decisions (including in the context of COVID-19) made by any competent authority which have a major impact on the Match being played at the Stadium.  
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I think they are preparing the ground to move the tournament to a single country. The continental plan (with fans in attendance) is almost unthinkable at the moment, in fact having fans at all even if the tournament is hosted in a single country seems very unlikely.
    Yeah I agree. It’s obvious if they go ahead with the tournament it can only be in 1 country. Can’t have players flying all over the place.

My confusion was more that they seem to be making the decision in March but you have to decide if you want a refund in January. If you keep your tickets and the tournament is then moved you can’t get your money back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021

Very backward. I only just noticed the email buried within Gmail... I'm assuming uefa hope most people miss it so that they can keep the money. 

Unfortunately I'll be getting a refund on all my tickets because I'm not prepared to take all the risk that uefa could decide to move it to Qatar or the government don't allow fans in.

Realistically I doubt fans will be allowed in anyway, certainly not in Wembley, so best to take the money back now.
  • Options
    One England group game. SF and final. Might put back the group game. Keep hold of the other two worst case scenario it’s moved to another country and would say it’s easy to sell. It would just be trying to sell tickets abroad....don’t know if it’s worth the risk. Best thing I’ve seen describing this situation is like the final stage of golden balls. Split or steal. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I think the whole tournament will be given to the UK. The EU’s vaccination program is a slow burner, we will be the only viable alternative.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    I think they’re whole tournament will be given to the UK. The EU’s vaccination program is a slow burner, we will be the only viable alternative.
    This is what I’m holding onto. Semis and final at Wembley. If there’s no fans or partial fans I get my money back. 

It’s up to the hosting stadium if it should be moved to another ground, time or date. Unless covid is even worse than it is now I highly doubt Wembley would allow their games played anywhere else. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    I think they’re whole tournament will be given to the UK. The EU’s vaccination program is a slow burner, we will be the only viable alternative.
    Russia looks the obvious choice to me or somewhere outside of Europe like China. Countries than can control the population and easily vaccinate where they need to.

I'm not sure any country in Western or Central Europe would really want to host it with full stadiums this year.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Russia looks the obvious choice to me or somewhere outside of Europe like China. Countries than can control the population and easily vaccinate where they need to.

I'm not sure any country in Western or Central Europe would really want to host it with full stadiums this year.
    No chance they will hold it in China, more chance of hosting it on the moon.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

There is zero chance it will be held in China. UK is the obvious choice with the final and semi's at Wembley, i'm confident we will have the lowest covid rates in europe by the summer too. It would be silly for it not to be here, but you never know with the governing bodies...
  • Options
    I suspect they want a fair few ticketholders to willingly take a refund to inform their decision in March regarding what to do. 

I reckon they’re assuming that 20-30% will take the refund even for the biggest games, with more for less glamorous games. With warmer weather, infection rates should go down, and the lobbying to allow all ticket holders to sit ‘socially distant’ with a seat between them wearing masks will begin.
  • Options
    Uk will surely be the only option for them.

For all our faults, we'll be well into the vaccination programme and any other other top country with the infrastructure to host it (France, Germany, Italy etc) are all struggling with high cases too. By the summer i'm sure we'll be best placed to host it.

Genuinely don't see how it can go ahead with the original multi nation plan. It'll need to be one country, with teams in locked down 'bubbles' and only travelling by coach to games local to their team base. You simply can't have teams flying here, there and everywhere.
  • Options
    The UK should be significantly into the vaccination programme by June, but isn’t the decision being made in March? Would the UK government agree to hosting an international football tournament with tens of thousands of fans from across the continent in two months time when it won’t even allow domestic games with a single fan today? That would be quite the turn around!