Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's another attendance thread!

Comments

• Options

Would like to know where all the bods who turned up for the fireworks and red arrows v hartlepool have gone.

11,000 just vanished into thin air

Friends of fans that just came for the occasion, people like myself that can only get to 'x' amount of games each season, bank holiday weekend, shocking weather.. pretty sure that would add up to a big %

• Options

Oakster said:

Was a bit suprised at how few Hull brought down - ooaah explanation please. Better or worse than us, given their home attendances and London fan base.

I'm away at the moment so can't look at my charts and analyse the numbers :-)

How many did they bring ?

Although this thread is about home numbers .....
    don't think its been anounced yet. I'd take a stab at 450 but it usually ends up being far more.
  • Options
    I think people always assumed because we are in the championship suddenly we were going to get 25k attendences. Unless the club does football for a fiver or some other deal I doubt attendences will be much more
  • Options

Although this thread is about home numbers .....

Lol, when has the main subject of the thread being unrelated ever stopped you finding an angle to talk about away numbers? ;-)

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Mrbacon said:

I thought that to .
    But are we still in recession ?
    And the price to live is rising !
    Ohh yeah and the ticket prices.

The why do clubs in erm, "less fortunate" areas of the country (northern shit holes with no money) have their fans turn out in numbers. And as for people not going because it's wet outside, what a load of bollocks. I don't like the place half empty and for a saturday our turnout was poor today. And I'm certainly not rolling in the money either.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    People in less fortunate northern areas may have smaller mortgages and expenses than us down south. The cost of entry to football is also considerably less. Many people including myself (currently unemployed) cannot really afford or justify the expense each week of footy. Im sorry if it upsets you that there are less people attending, believe me it upsets me as a former season ticket holder for the past 15 years a darned sight more that I CANT attend, and to be frank I resent your attitude. To attend today I worked seat cleaning at the valley so I could get a comp ticket. I cant afford a ticket for the next game, so sorry to upset you, but there will be one less at the next game.
  • Options
    We had the fourth best attendance in the division (out of 11). It was a bit disappointing, but no need to beat ourselves up too much. I guess the people that turned up today are more or less the people who turned up last year - I mean, are Hull really that much more of an attraction than some of the teams we played last year to the casual fan?

I was trying to look up the home attendances for the first couple of home games last season to see how they compare but don't seem to be able to find it on the club website. Anyone know?

• Options
    16k v Bournemouth, 15.5k v Scunthorpe
  • Options
    Definitely agree with the " holiday/Bank Hol weekend" reasons for the 16,000+ turnout.

Palace & Millwall would have been pleased with it IMHO.
  • Options

Definitely agree with the " holiday/Bank Hol weekend" reasons for the 16,000+ turnout.

Palace & Millwall would have been pleased with it IMHO.

I would also say that Hull along with Barnsley and Peterborough have to be the least attractive opposition in this league.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakster said:

16k v Bournemouth, 15.5k v Scunthorpe

Cheers. And whilst you've got the proggy out, didn't the next few games attract a few more?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Good crowd for sheff wed, 24750 against millwall which would have been just about as meaningless for them as they could get.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    We were a bit puzzled by the walk-up today. The advance sales were decent and better than Leicester, but the number sold in the run-up to kick-off was well down. In fact, there was no queue at 2.55pm, which is unusual. The weather may have been a factor in this. But in recent years August gates have held up by comparison with later ones, so the holiday argument doesn't entirely stand up.

A couple of points though - we had about 3,000 more paying season ticket holders last time we were in the Championship (5,000 more in 2007/08). We also issued 1,000-plus schools comps for the first two games last season, but none this year. In fact, there were a very large number of comps for Scunthorpe a year ago, but far fewer than normal for Leicester and Hull. So you can't just compare the gate figure. The receipts for Hull will be well up on Scunthorpe.

And actually 16,000 is a good crowd for Charlton v Hull.
  • Options
    I have a season ticket but wasn't there so take 1 off your total.
    Sorry but 20/20 Day comes over any football match.
    The season starts too early.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Halix said:

People in less fortunate northern areas may have smaller mortgages and expenses than us down south.

Exactly. Even twenty years ago when I was a home and away supporter, we often used to stay with mates in Manchester when we played "oop north" who laughed at the North/South devide, we were supposed to be rich, but they earned about two grand a year less than us, and had three bedroom houses that cost about the same as a studio around our way.

The "northern shit holes" are almost all one club towns or cities, different dynamic...
  • Options
    If 15,000+ is a concern - then maybe the club should target the 100,000 red card holders (excluding season ticket holders) that we have to see why they are not attending the home games.
  • Options
    Ah, we do like to slag ourselves off given half a chance don't? Let's not focus on the good start let's have a pop at the attendance even if it's A) not that bad actually, B) not helped by the low turnout from the oppo and C) entirely in line with what other clubs are going through.

Did those of you moaning see the ranks of empty seats at Southampton yesterday for their first game back in Prem??? How do you explain that then?
  • Options
    Stop moaning and enjoy it
    I couldn't attend due to financial reasons having had a ST for last 5 years (but haven't this year)
    and Hull was hardly top of my list of must go games
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I agree, not a crisis, but a concern surely, after all the first Saturday home game, after an excellent midweek performance, and a good point against the brum.
    Weather, A2, bank holiday etc all reasons why not to come, but we are beginning to sound like the goverment blaming the non recovery due to the bad weather, royal wedding, and people not finding loose change behind the settee.
    You can find a hundred reasons not to go, but the main one seems to be price. £25 for a walk in for the shall we say casual fan.
    Why not price the Millwall and Palace games to £30, and lower yesterdays games to £15. Or a three ticket home game red card holder/lapsed season ticket holder for £40 including palace. I think we have to get people back into the 'habit' as others have mentioned on here.
  • Options

Ah, we do like to slag ourselves off given half a chance don't? Let's not focus on the good start let's have a pop at the attendance even if it's A) not that bad actually, B) not helped by the low turnout from the oppo and C) entirely in line with what other clubs are going through.

Did those of you moaning see the ranks of empty seats at Southampton yesterday for their first game back in Prem??? How do you explain that then?

Spot on ! I really don't see it as an issue as long as i can go watch Charlton then i'm happy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ken, with respect, how is 15,500 for the 2nd home game against less than glamorous oppo during the summer hols a concern?
  • Options
    I was a bit taken aback as well. I had expected a bigger crowd but have also noted that more people are commenting on the cost of football in general. It has always been assumed that football games will defy economic rules and that the punter will continue to stump up regardless of how they are treated and what they have to pay. Perhaps that is finally changing? It's worrying though as, if previous comments re our finances are true, then the club will be relying on gate money to pay overdue bills. Together with the fall in Championship monies, falls in gate money is not good news.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Nothing to worry about, we'll average around 17/18 this season which is good.
  • Options

Nothing to worry about, we'll average around 17/18 this season which is good.

exactly ! Im sure someone said last season that we had less than 100k official fans. IMO 15% of those to turn up each week is great

• Options
    Just posted this on the post match views thread.

I missed the game as I got caught in the traffic on the M11, the same traffic the Hartlepool team was caught in which got their match vs Orient called off. Got there about 13:15 and was only about 30 mins away but didn't move for about 4 hours, I think it was around 17:30 by the time we were able to turn round and go all the way back to Norfolk. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
  • Options

Didn't they have 27k in, hardly a bad crowd for Wigan at home
  • Options
    How many does Middlesbro ground hold, that looked really empty
  • Options
    Worry about nothing as usual. As mentioned before in this thread, look at attendances across the division yesterday and maybe we can see a trend outside of our own little secluded world of all things CAFC. Football is an expensive day out, is not as popular as we all imagine it to be and on a bank holiday weekend at the end of a summer of constant sporting event, there are just too many other things to do in THE largest and most varied cosmopolitan area in Europe. If we maintain performance and kick on we will average 18.5K this season. Not bad for a second division club.
  • Options

How many does Middlesbro ground hold, that looked really empty

Having been there I can tell you it's in the middle of nowhere, so I'm not surprised it's not bursting at the seams.
  • Options
    Mike said:

Didn't they have 27k in, hardly a bad crowd for Wigan at home
    ...but not full though was it? Far from it from what I could see on the tele and not the only match with swathes of empty seats.

We were playing Hull btw not Spurs or Chelsea. No disrespect but post Olympics, at the end of the school holidays on a Bank Holiday weekend I'm not in anyway surprised if lots of peoples expendible income for August is maxed out or they found something else more attractive to do as a family.

I'd be interested to know if those worried/moaning about the turn out only have to pay for one full price ticket or for a couple of kids as well. I suspect the former...