Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

It's another attendance thread!

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
Yeah, let's talk about a sore subject here and on quite a few football forums, the issue of filling your ground. I know it's two games in, I am by no means having a go but 16,000 for a saturday afternoon in the championship? Really? Last time we were in the championship we hardly ever got under 20,000. I thought the lure of being in the second tier would bring people back, but for the opening two matches I guess not, 16k was roughly our league 1 average. Just asking on opinions about why our ground was half empty today, and if people think it's gonna be a common sight this season.

Comments

• Well I know longer have a season ticket. I've had one for the last 5 odd years on the trot but I cannot afford one. Just going to make the odd game.
  • Don't forget, bank holiday weekend. People away on holiday. Thunder and lightning. Wet and cold. I reckon the next home game will see a few more people turn up.
  • I thought that to .
    But are we still in recession ?
    And the price to live is rising !
    Ohh yeah and the ticket prices.
  • We were getting more last year, disappointing
  • I thought that to .

The why do clubs in erm, "less fortunate" areas of the country (northern shit holes with no money) have their fans turn out in numbers. And as for people not going because it's wet outside, what a load of bollocks. I don't like the place half empty and for a saturday our turnout was poor today. And I'm certainly not rolling in the money either.
  • We just don't have that many regular fans to be honest.
  • Would like to know where all the bods who turned up for the fireworks and red arrows v hartlepool have gone.

11,000 just vanished into thin air
  • Mrbacon said:

I thought that to .

The why do clubs in erm, "less fortunate" areas of the country (northern shit holes with no money) have their fans turn out in numbers. And as for people not going because it's wet outside, what a load of bollocks. I don't like the place half empty and for a saturday our turnout was poor today. And I'm certainly not rolling in the money either.
    Oh what like middlesborough ?
    We're still only in the championship
  • WSS said:

We just don't have that many regular fans to be honest.

Seems about the nub of it really.
  • They should rename the football for a fiver to
    Fakers in for a fiver , I understand some of us aren't so well off, me included, but I still come to watch charlton, no matter the price, same others aren't so loyal and are just in it for a bargain
  • Sponsored links:

• I assumed that the low crowd was because a lot of people are on holiday. I only got back from France yesterday myself, having delayed my summer holiday so as not to miss the Olympics. It meant that I missed the Leicester game, however. I'm sure the crowd will be up for the next home game - even if it weren't against Palace.
  • Mrbacon said:

Yeah, let's talk about a sore subject here and on quite a few football forums, the issue of filling your ground. I know it's two games in, I am by no means having a go but 16,000 for a saturday afternoon in the championship? Really? Last time we were in the championship we hardly ever got under 20,000. I thought the lure of being in the second tier would bring people back, but for the opening two matches I guess not, 16k was roughly our league 1 average. Just asking on opinions about why our ground was half empty today, and if people think it's gonna be a common sight this season.

You mean 20k with those who hung around for a short while after we were relegated from the Prem the f@&~ed off again when we got worse? They're currently sat at home every game watching big games on sky. It'll take the Prem again for them to return on a regular basis. 16-18k is a decent turn out for a small club like us.

• be interesting to see how many come out for Palace as we had 26,000 last time we played them didn't we.

We will average about 16500 this season, Hull didn't bring that many, maybe 500?
  • WSS is correct, unfortunately.
    If people choose to spend their money in other ways that is their right. I choose to spend mine on a season ticket but from the empty seats around me it is clear that a number of season ticket holders haven't renewed. (No doubt a surge up the table will change things............)
  • edited August 2012
    Lure of the second tier? I dont know many people who give a flying .... about the championship. Fans are easily lost but isnt the same getting them back. Premiership football is what is needed.

Its nice to see the Valley full and all that, but its decent to know even when we are in league 1 we have at least 15k odd proper behind us
  • WSSWSS
    edited August 2012
    Nothing wrong with coming when it's cheap or a good deal. It's how the club was built since we got back to The Valley.

No need to slag those who come now and again, it's a choice they have. Same as those of us who go week in, week out.

We're just not a big club, 16k is ok considering the location us.
  • but I'm sure I saw we have about 1500 more season tickets than we ended last season on? It's the walkup which has gone down.
  • But the new season tickets are mainly from those who came 20+ times last year
  • Mike said:

but I'm sure I saw we have about 1500 more season tickets than we ended last season on? It's the walkup which has gone down.

Or do you think it may just be possible that a number of those 1500 walk ups have bought season tickets? (That and the fact the first games of the seasons are always lower crowds.)
  • August is notoriously bad for attendances, people are on holiday.
  • Sponsored links:

• This may sound weird but the atmosphere as been alot better so far this season in my opinion with less people. I don't know if thats because we've got more 'proper fans' who come more often and know the songs but I prefer it.
  • All those slagging brummies crowd off gone a bit quiet

The interest isn't there, with the championship, unfortunately and I never thought it would be , once people have found other things to do it'll take the lure of the prem to get most back

If we hadn't hadn't had the miracle season last year and not made it back up I think we'd have been dwindling round the 10k level
  • edited August 2012
    WSS said:

Ah crap, this is the same guff the palace have been churning out for years, we're starting to sound like em. Since when were we a "small club" I certainly don't consider us one, and that's not just delusional fan syndrome kicking in. We were rock bottom of the championship a few years back, still 20,000+ were going through them turnstiles. We knew we were rubbish and likely to get beat, our non-winning streak went on for 20+ games if I remember correctly. That sounds like loyal support in numbers, and it was. How's it disappeared so fast?
  • yeah I guess so. I'm sure the club have been expecting bigger walkups though, Airman was on here saying how he expected the crowd to be higher than Tuesday.
  • Those 20k crowds you are talking of were in reality a lot less season ticket holders in many of them boosting the numbers now after 3 seasons of 3rd tier a lot who have left have got other things to do
  • Because we got even worse? For three years. People got out of the habit.
  • Was a bit suprised at how few Hull brought down - ooaah explanation please. Better or worse than us, given their home attendances and London fan base.
  • Mrbacon said:

WSS said:

Ah crap, this is the same guff the palace have been churning out for years, we're starting to sound like em. Since when were we a "small club" I certainly don't consider us one, and that's not just delusional fan syndrome kicking in. We were rock bottom of the championship a few years back, still 20,000+ were going through them turnstiles. We knew we were rubbish and likely to get beat, our non-winning streak went on for 20+ games if I remember correctly. That sounds like loyal support in numbers, and it was. How's it disappeared so fast?
    If they were 'Loyal support' they would have been there before we reached the Prem; They weren't. I'm assuming you're a younger supporter who only remembers the recent good times. You may not consider us a small club but in the grand scheme of things we are, and I personally think we do bloddy well considering.
  • I would rather have 10 k loyal sing your heart out fans than 20 k part time supporters
  • Oakster said:

Was a bit suprised at how few Hull brought down - ooaah explanation please. Better or worse than us, given their home attendances and London fan base.

I'm away at the moment so can't look at my charts and analyse the numbers :-)

How many did they bring ?

Although this thread is about home numbers .....