Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

will ben hamer cut it in the championship?

edited February 2012 in General Charlton
will we need a new keeper for next season or do we keep faith with ben?

Comments

• Options
    Faith! Played well against Dons. Obviously has things to work on but he could become a very good keeper. His distribution is excellent
  • Options
    In Sir Chris i trust. He feels Ben has so more work to do but will turn out to be a fine GK. I dont think he is as bad as some make out and quite rate him.
  • Options
    He has very many years ahead of him and will iron out his 'flaps'!
  • Options
    He's not the finished article, but deserves his chance, and there's no reason why he shouldn't improve. If we have money to spend, I'd say there are other areas of the team that would be priorities
  • Options
    All he needs is a new pair of shoes!
  • Options
    Can see Sully leaving next year and CP bringing in a older experinced numebr 2 to push and help Ben.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    He's a young keeper, remember most keepers peak at about 30.
  • Options
    Faith! Played well against Dons. Obviously has things to work on but he could become a very good keeper. His distribution is excellent
    I see lots of people saying that Hamer's distribution is excellent but I can't agree. His preferred option seems to be to kick it to SCP in the dugout! Now I can understand that he pretty much has to go right as Danny Green is usually available whereas JJ often drifts infield leaving no outlet on the left but the amount of times the ball simply goes straight out of play is frustrating.

• Options
    Yes
  • Options
    He always does better when he things to do like on Tuesday.

Most games he has nothing to do due to the defence being so good. I think he could cut in the Championship, just needs to be more consistent on catching his crosses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He'll be tested a lot more of course but I don't really doubt his shot stopping, just worry for us when we come up against teams who put the ball in the box and stand on the keeper.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    In Sir Chris i trust. He feels Ben has so more work to do but will turn out to be a fine GK. I dont think he is as bad as some make out and quite rate him.
    Sorry replied to wrong post...Doh!

• Options
    Can see Sully leaving next year and CP bringing in a older experinced numebr 2 to push and help Ben.
    Strange post.......why do you think he would leave us at a time when we are on the up?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    His shot stopping is generally good although he did let one go through his hands v Bury.

Too often the ball doesn't stick in his hands with ground shots.

He comes for and doesn't get near or then drops crosses more times than is healthy and sometimes doesn't seem to time his jump correctly. He's had the good fortune to have a very solid defence in front of him so rarely has that much to do.

His kicking is good and he tries to, and often does, find a runner.

He is a very good time waster/slower down of the game when needed.

He's quite young but his record of clean sheets with us and others is impressive so not just down to how good we are.

Next season in the Championship will be a test for a lot of our players who have never played at the level before so we shall have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Good summary Henry although I'm not banking on us being in the CCC next season until it's on the OS. Just based on what I've seen there's a number of questions over his decision making and handling, but Powell and the defenders must be confident in him so you have to feel that they see enough potential in him.
  • Options
    Can we just wait till we get there first before we start the whole "Stick or Twist" thing with each player. Hopefully we'll have a couple of months in the summer to mull these things over.
  • Options
    I think so but I think we need better in reserve than Sullivan.
  • Options
    3 saves I saw on the BBC highlights against MK Fraud wouldn't look out of place in the Premiership, lots of potential in my eyes, so my answer yes - and he will get a lot more practice in the CCC!
  • Options
    Strange post.......why do you think he would leave us at a time when we are on the up?

I think CP will bring in another GK pushing Sully down to 3rd choice. I am sure he woudl prefer to then try and be a number 1 somewhere else!
  • Options
    I cant believe what I'm reading here. 21 goals conceded in 29 games and you're trying to find fault with the boy. And don't say it's the defence protecting him either.

Just be happy we've got an excellent keeper who can only get better

Bloody whingers for whingers sake
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely it is a question to be asked nearer the time? For my money I say yes he will if given faith/patience, which CP is obviously prepated to do. That said I find myself the sole Hamer fan surrounded by at least half a dozen non-fans (of Hamer, not the team) when at the Valley. I don't know if this is the usual balance or disproportionate, though of course I hope for the latter!
  • Options
    I cant believe what I'm reading here. 21 goals conceded in 29 games and you're trying to find fault with the boy. And don't say it's the defence protecting him either.

I'm with the cabbie on this. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    he will only get better, I like him and hope he gets a very long run in our side.
  • Options
    keep him ...he will get even better
  • Options
    In fact the more I think about it and looking at the only other thread started by Kane this thread has a whiff of troll about it. Hmm....hopefully not another one but maybe one to keep an eye on.

• Options
    I think he's an excellent keeper and will serve us well in the Championship, he had a shaky few weeks collecting crosses but during this time he seemed to develop a punch to combat this and did improve his catching. Good shot stopping ability, commands area and arranges defense, great distribution - what more do you want from a league football keeper?

He's also young, determined and hungrey and a bit of a character

• Options
    He'll be OK .. but a lot will depend on how the entire defence copes in a higher division. Confidence is a major factor in how a performance turns out
  • Options
    This is the most successful Charlton team (at this stage of the season) since i started supporting the Addicks in the 70's. I am sure that some players will have off days, but the stats don't lie. No debate to be had.

SINK
  • Options
    I think we will need a new goalie just feel Hamer flaps at to many crosses.
  • Options

I'm with the cabbie on this. Unbelievable.
    I am with the cabbie and the defender of Rorke's Drift as well