Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Parkinson...Was he shafted by Charlton?

Am I in a minority of 1 in thinking PP got a raw deal at The Valley?

I thought that with the resources he had at his disposal at the time, he was doing a good job.

Granted, the football being served up wasn't a lot of fun to watch, but I believe we'd be playing Championship football already if he'd kept his position.

Hope the fella turns it around at Bradford, I thought he was a decent, genuine bloke who deserved more loyalty from our Board.

Comments

• Options
    I think he was a nice bloke, he had potential to be a great manager he just wasn't the right man for the job here. He didn't really have the umph that Powell has. Right decision to get rid but he deserves our respect and good luck to him in the future.
  • Options
    Yes, he's a good bloke.
    Yes, he was doing a good job.
    No, I don't think we would be up by now if he'd have stayed.
    We weren't fun to watch.
    I think the board have, so far, been fully vindicated by their decision.
    The Valley needed a real spring clean, but I wish Phil all the best.
  • Options
    To be fair, at the time, I thought it was a harsh decision. Looking at things now, it was the right decision. Had things carried on going tits up - then we'd all be asking questions. I hope he can pull it off at Bradford as he's a good bloke. Just didn't happen for him here.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Good guy, did well in 09/10 with limited resources. Used the loan market and free signings market fairly well and in most other seasons, our points total would have got us up.

But: shouldn't have got the job in the first place, football was not particularly good to watch, tactically questionable and there is no way we'd be in the Championship now if he'd stayed.

Wish him well at Bradford, it is a tough gig up there but he seems to have stabilised them and they look like they'll avoid the drop.
  • Options
    So glad we sacked him.

SCP
  • Options
    Why do we have to do this again now

We have to move on and accept he divided opinion

It will turn in to a bitches fest I would put my house on it
  • Options
    Parky had more than a fair crack at the whip with 100 matches at the helm. One could anecdotally trawl through the peaks and troughs of his rein but the failure to win two home games against lowly opposition Jan 2011 done for him.
    I attended the xmas aways at Colchester 3-3 and Brighton 1-1.

Both draws against 10 man opposition. Indeed if the legendary Radostin Kishishev could finish we would have lost at the death at the Withdean! Parky's best chance clearly the inaugural league one campaign when the lack of a decent striker did for him. Blimey how empty did one feel leaving the Valley after losing to Swindon in that play-off semi-final
  • Options
    I'm not sure what 'good bloke' has to do with it. Some of the oldies on here will recognise he was the Manager of a team that produced probably the worst football ever seen at the Valley......totally useless.
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Shafted - no
    Good manager - yes
    Bad Timing/Bad luck- yes
    Parkinson respect - absolutely
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shafted - no
    Good manager - yes
    Bad Timing/Bad luck- yes
    Agree with that.
  • Options
    Agree that this comes up an alarming amount of times.

Can kind of see why though. Very polarising subject, plenty to both sides and full of What If... scenarios.

My take is that Parkinson was the managerial equivalent of a life support machine. Without him, who knows what would have happened. He stopped the rot from a series of awful managers, restored somewhat of a discipline and harmony to the changing rooms and in fairness was painfully unlucky never to see that scenario of winning promotion from League One like he was close to doing in 09/10 and probably would have had a fair shout at, at least via the play-offs, in 10/11 no matter what is said of that squad. They were top six for a good while.

On the other hand... not a single Addicks fan, whether cynic or sympathiser, with the benefit of hindsight would want him here now over Chris Powell. His sacking and Slater's contradictory reasoning may have been harsh, but it had to be done and is often the case with new chairmen. They don't want any authority on board with seniority of tenure over them. And what the current squad has done and could possibly do in the future to me outweighs anything Parkinson could have done, perhaps even if he was blessed with funds.

My stance is a genuine thank-you for all he did, a derisory snort towards those who scoff at what he did, and a general feeling of relief that those What If's regarding had he stayed are just that.

He is currently shoring up the problems at Bradford as he did with us, and I hope he gets them up to League One (though I'd be shocked if he could manage anything more).
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    No he wasn't shafted
    Good manager? - he was OK imho
    Bad Timing/Bad luck? - no not really. All managers jobs are in danger when new owners take over and the team was on a downward path when he was sacked
    Parkinson respect - yes
    Was it time for the club to move on - yes - Parky, for all his good points, was associated with decline - sad to say that he was.
    Have we done this to death on here? - yes absolutely
  • Options
    If anyone could have done as bad as he did in that pathetic attempt at staying up in The Championship then I'd be very surprised
    He had a poorer points per game return than pardew in that season and he had already been working with the players as pardews assistant so had the advantage of knowing them
    Before he became manager while assistant to pardew he was very close to joining huddersfield as manager but we bumped his salary up to keeep him to stay
    He then gets the caretaker managers job and his return as that was beyond pathetic before being given the job full time .....
    Therefore thru his own failures to keep us up he then had a right good go at promotion and just missed out and failed to make full use of one of our hottest youngsters in recent times
    And then with a reduced budget he patched a team together that he got to a more than decent standing in the league and I think deserved a crack to the end of the season BUT the board gambled on SCP and the rest they say is history
    Shafted by Charlton - no way, he would have been handsomely paid and very much involved in one of the worse periods in our history so I'm not gonna wish ill on the man and good luck to him but I just can't believe that relegation season , so farking abysmal
  • Options
    To quote another poster on here: "Depressing."
  • Options
    I thought he was doing a good job and would have seen us higher last season. I also don't think he could have made the miraculous transformation to the squad that Powell has achieved though. It really is remarkable and easy for us to forget what an amazing achievement it is. It breaks some of the rules of football that people assume are set in stone about making too many changes. But also bringing in the qulaity he has for the outlay we have made is incredible IMO.

I don't think we would have finished higher than the play offs with Parky last season and doubt we would have won them. I think part of the problem for Parky was the fans. We were totally hacked off with our lot and it meant if things went against us we turned very quickly - I think the board realised that to ease the pressure on players etc... they needed to bring in the right manager who had no negative baggage and could push us on quickly - of course they were hoping it would happen last season.

A positive for Powell would have been the knowledge that he was so loved by fans that he would have less pressure and be given more time and patience and that may have played a part in his selection. It was needed as last season was a major disapointment but we know we really have something special on our hands now which despite our love for the bloke, we couldn't then.

I didn't want Parky to be appointed initially but realised over time in our relegation season that he was addressing some of the issues despite not getting the rquired results. The squad was painfully unbalanced and I think it was an impossible task. I think he did a decent job with the resources he had - we must remember we were up in the automatic places for a spell in the last game of the 2009/10 season so Parky nearly done it and we were in the play off places when he left. He wasn't the best manager in the world but I think we were in good hands. Would I swap him for Powell -that is a stupid question -of course not. But I hold no ill towards Parky and appreciate his efforts for us.

• Options
    Nice man, but that doesn;t win you football matches. For me, his record shows 2 main faults...........in our Championship relegation season he took over & couldn't buy a win - played too negative at times (Large will continually tell you that we were 1-1 at Swansea with 10 mins to go and decided to settle for a point instead of going for 3)........and then at the start of last season he made Benson his main target, chased him for weeks & finally paid over £200k for a player with limited ability in this league (and certain;y not good enough for Championship football) - that says it all
  • Options

nth london addick January 26 Quote

This... The Parkinson debate has been done to death. The King is dead, Long live the King
  • Options
    edited January 2012

nth london addick January 26 Quote

This... The Parkinson debate has been done to death. The King is dead, Long live the King
    Agree
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Who?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Parkinson should not have been appointed when he was - we needed an outside appointment to have a chance of staying up, an inside appointment was never likely to change much that season and the bad run under Pardew continued - we'd gone 8 or 9 games without a win and went about the same again before results & performances picked up, we stopped losing most games but we lacked the conviction to convert enough draws into wins -

I think it was fine for the new owners to want a new regime but it was very disappointing that they (disingenuously) claimed they were backing him but then sacked him after a bad performance saying it was imperative we fight for the play-offs - true we were having good and indifferent spells but definitely odds on to make the playoffs

With CP in charge, and a resource rich environment, things couldn't have gone better this season.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Troll alert! He's going to be well pleased when he see's the amount of effort you lot have put in.
  • Options
    if he were still here now I doubt I'd still be going.
  • Options
    Troll alert! He's going to well pleased when see's the amount of effort you lot have put in.
    Oh yeh - he's the "Mark Kinsella - any good?" thread author.
  • Options
    Sorry Phil no need to start another thread mate, yes perhaps you were ruthlessly dealt with in the end, but you should of been gone when Pards went. Thanks for taking the time to post and Good luck at Bradford.
  • Options
    But also bringing in the qulaity he has for the outlay we have made is incredible IMO.

I thought all the fee's paid have been undisclosed?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Troll alert! He's going to well pleased when see's the amount of effort you lot have put in.
    Oh yeh - he's the "Mark Kinsella - any good?" thread author.
    And 'How do you rate Johnnie Jackson' ...........No brainer!
    And 'Whatever Happened to...........' Unless you've been living in a cave you should know or aren't proper Charlton failing which try using Wiki!

Sink

• Options
    Shafted - no
    Good manager - yes
    Bad Timing/Bad luck- yes
    agree mainly with this! i was one of the people lucky enough to go to the training ground days at sparrows lane before the leeds game at the valley

he was a great man, actually spoke very intelligently but you could sense something wasnt right, as if his hands were tied, it was clear he couldnt get in the people he wanted - jason puncheon was practically round the corner from the training ground to sign a contract when parky was told he had to tell them the deal was off coz we were getting that big dubai takeover and they wanted better clientele, same for another big striker, of good pedigree. - it was clear he didnt get his own control over signings and then as the takeover didnt work out he had to work with loans and frees and some like paul benson, the extent to which parky was 100% behind any signing is doubtful given how he was on that day.
    He answered any of our questions and was very polite, and from the training and video run through which we were allowed to sit it on, he was a very good and thorough coach so can not be knocked on that front
    in my opinion was a good coach in the wrong place and the wrong time, he couldnt truly put any mark on charlton, as much as many people think he was poor, it was purely timing...
    though worked out for the best now SCP is here.
    will always wish parky the best though!
  • Options
    Should have gone with Alan Pardew. When he stayed it was more of the same!
    One good signing - Johnny Jackson. All the rest poor or bad loan signings.
    At one time we were playing with the max amount of loan players.
    Terrible for team spirit. Getting Chris best thing to happen!