Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BWP's contract

edited September 2011 in General Charlton
Is there any news on him signing a new one?

A vital player this year but also think he'll score goals at Championship level.

Comments

• Options
    Is there any news on him signing a new one?

A vital player this year but also think he'll score goals at Championship level.
    If i was him I would hold back on signing any thing until he knows where we are going, he is the most sought after commodity in football - a goal scorer - unless he can be offered the impossible then he'll hold on tillhe can test the water in the spring
  • Options
    BWP's contract status got mentioned at the Bromley meeting with Slater and Kavanagh.

There is some sort of option in his current deal, and they were 99.5% sure he'd be here next season.

It's in Henry's recap here..

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/43090/bromley-beckons-for-slater-and-co./p1
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if he exited before next season. I heard him say in the car park afterwards that he didn't think he had a good game yesterday- maybe being modest. In my view, Hayes was not really helping him and he must wish for better strike partners sometimes. I also don't think he likes the 'better than Shaun' thing. Some fans even singing it to/at him in the car park yesterday and when the announcer used it in reference to his goal, i thought he just kept his head down when he could have saluted the crowd.  No science there, just an opinion..
  • Options
    I don't think we wishes for a better strike partner than Hayes. Granted he's inconsistent but Hayes is always looking for him and Bradley's always looking for Hayes. I think we've got the beginnings of a proper partnership there.
  • Options
    I think that's just the way he looks. His just very casual. He will sign a new contract I'm sure. For once his at a club that's going in the right direction.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I hope it's true what Slater said! He's clearly got the ability to play in the Championship or maybe even higher...
  • Options
    Hayes and him are mustard...

BWP set him up and Hayes finished with a very classy finish...

they have connected loads of times already this season..

At this moment Powell is looking like a fricking magician...

BWP has even made me like Ian Wright after that think with his teacher posted elsewhere... and they look the same... lol
  • Options
    Must wish for a better strike partner than Hayes?

He does all his running, all his physical work and looks to give him the ball so often it is often to his own detriment. couldnt think of a better partner myself.
  • Options

He does all his running, all his physical work and looks to give him the ball so often it is often to his own detriment. couldnt think of a better partner myself.
    What he said.  At this level I doubt he'll find much better.  There might be better strikers but not better partners.

But it's an interesting point.  We have some good, young players not just BWP.  Other teams will have seen the results and performances and be making note.

However I think the new board has the financial strength and the long term plan to resist bids from any club outside the Premier League.  I hope so anyway.
  • Options
    I think BWP loves playing with Hayes. When Hayes scored on sat Bradley went running to him and seemed pleased for him. Also they appeat to get on quite well from Twitter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I appear to be in the minority, but even after just a short cameo I have a feeling that Yann might turn out to be the better partner. Some of Hayes's touches are a bit wobbly, I know he works hard but we will have to wait and see.
  • Options
    No, you're not in a minority. I was impressed with what I saw from Kermit for 10 mins. It's just a matter of whether or not he's a better option than Hayes. Far too early to say, and I'm very happy with Hayes performances. He's had the odd quiet game (as they all have except Solly so far).

I like having these options........................
  • Options
    does BWP's contract have an option for another year?  So if he meets an appearance target (maybe 30 starts?) it will automatically roll over.
  • Options

Overheard him in the car park talking about how much he missed the ever graceful Frank Nouble and he's wondrous flick on's!
  • Options

I was at the Bronley meeting and Michael Slater was in no doubt that BWP wsould be here next season. He wouldn't expand on the terms of BWP contract (naturally) but mentioned there was a clause in it & he was 99.5% certain that it would be triggered............

• Options
    Must wish for a better strike partner than Hayes? He does all his running, all his physical work and looks to give him the ball so often it is often to his own detriment. couldnt think of a better partner myself.
    Overheard him in the car park talking about how much he missed the ever graceful Frank Nouble and he's wondrous flick on's!
    You may jest but they like Nouble at Gillingham...
  • Options
    Division 4 is his level
  • Options
    Division 4 is his level
    that's being generous
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if he exited before next season. I heard him say in the car park afterwards that he didn't think he had a good game yesterday- maybe being modest. In my view, Hayes was not really helping him and he must wish for better strike partners sometimes. I also don't think he likes the 'better than Shaun' thing. Some fans even singing it to/at him in the car park yesterday and when the announcer used it in reference to his goal, i thought he just kept his head down when he could have saluted the crowd.  No science there, just an opinion..
    Yeah, I thought that was a bit cringeworthy as well - if I'd been him, I'd have kept my head down too.  I think the announcer should stick to the facts, to be honest.
  • Options
    Hayes is very effective for the team with some flaws that are easy to latch on to. I'm happy with the partnership but more importantly Chrissy is too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rich Cawley:

#cafc set to open contract talks with Bradley Wright-Phillips t.co/2sikWp5q
    web • 27/09/2011 11:39
  • Options

CHARLTON are planning contract talks with top scorer Bradley
    Wright-Phillips to reward him for his contribution since joining the
    Addicks in January.

The Lewisham-raised striker, 26, has netted 14 times in 29 starts for
    the Valley side and also chipped in with a number of assists.

Charlton already have an option to extend Wright-Phillips' deal by 12
    months
    - it was written into his move from Plymouth - and a source
    confirmed that negotiations will soon get under way.

From SLP

• Options
    good news, I was generally worried about this
  • Options
    Big, big relief.
  • Options
    Big, big relief.

Will be when he signs it....
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought that was a bit cringeworthy as well - if I'd been him, I'd have kept my head down too.  I think the announcer should stick to the facts, to be honest.
    He's regularly seen singing along to it! He deffo was against Bournemouth. He loves it
  • Options

BWP looked like he was labouring a little bit to me in trhe first half as though his Knee (or ankle or whatever, i can't remember) wasn't quite 100% or maybe it was his boots coz he did change them. BWP is a far better player than i ever thought he was before he signed and is a real goalscorer. I think it's vital he stays and i think the partnership with Hayes is very good other than when the game opens up in the second half. A powerful runner a la Heskey or similar would suit BWP more then as he often has to do Hayes running for him. Hayes is good with his back to goal and is happy when the game is congested. Give him space to run into and he's not so comfortable.    

• Options
    edited September 2011

BWP tries things- flicks, touches etc... The very nature of these mean that sometimes they don't come off and he will give away possession. Some fans who don't know much better might think this is a little too cheaply but what they forget is that when the flicks and touches do come off, as many of them do, they create something which wouldn't otherwise be created. Having this sort of flair in League One is a real bonus to us - you wouldn't want BWP in defence or midfiled but as a striker he is head and shoulders above anything else this division has to offer. He is a fantastic striker who plays on the edge - a bit like his dad although we have to conced that the level is a bit lower. I will agree though that he is a much better striker than I thoght he was when we signed him./ A genuinely exciting player.

• Options
    I brought my mate (who's a spurs fan) to the match on saturday. He commented that He looked a bit off the pace of the game and said we took the wrong forward off.

When he scored our third, I smugly said to him  "that's what he's there for".