Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newsnight

edited August 2011 in Root
God there is some bollocks being spouted on there about the riots

Comments

• Options
    You should try question time!!

I think it trumps it in those stakes!
  • Options
    C4 showing that 'coppers' programme. Are they intentionally trying to spark up the tension between some of the public and the police by showing it this week?
  • Options
    They've been re-showing Coppers for the past few weeks
  • Options
    WTF was that creature wearing on the Question Time panel - looked like a cross between a pantomime dame and a Tequila Sunrise with extra fruit on top! And it spoke bollocks!
  • Options
    WTF was that creature wearing on the Question Time panel - looked like a cross between a pantomime dame and a Tequila Sunrise with extra fruit on top! And it spoke bollocks!
    You've got to wonder how she gets to the point where she goes out dressed like that TO APPEAR ON TV - I assume this "condition" came on gradually, maybe starting with just a slightly silly hat. What does she think it says about her?
  • Options
    Who was the pantomime dame? I'm not an avid Question time watcher. I prefer Radio 4
  • Options
    Had to switch it off after about a minute of watching Prescott's jowly face jiggling away.  Trying to blame bankers for hoodys burning furniture shops is abstract, at best.  A man that owns two cars that cost about 6 times the average salary, and plainly spends most of his day eating bemoaning the culture of greed, should be the poster child for IRONY.
  • Options
    The creature was Camila Batmanghelidjh who is an Iranian born youth charity worker with a very garish dress sense for effect.
  • Options
    I honestly thought that Alan Carr had let himself go.
  • Options
    Alan Carr - yeah I knew that she reminded me of someone!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought Dame Edna had made a reappearence! What a nutcase.
  • Options
    Had to switch it off after about a minute of watching Prescott's jowly face jiggling away.  Trying to blame bankers for hoodys burning furniture shops is abstract, at best.  A man that owns two cars that cost about 6 times the average salary, and plainly spends most of his day eating bemoaning the culture of greed, should be the poster child for IRONY.

Don't forget that Prescott suffers from 'bulimia' so we're not allowed to mention the pies!
  • Options

Yes, I forgot about that tragedy, despite his supermodel-svelt figure.  Most insensitive of me.

I hope he manages to keep some solids down, soon.

• Options

I've seen her on a few things. I couldn't tell you anything she's ever said as sit there stunned and slacked jawed at what's she wearing.

I'm all for individuality but her appearance is never going to help her get taken seriously is it, espcially when you have the words "Bat" and "man" in your second name on top...

More worrying is that our government couldn't find a single cabinet minister prepared to appear and respond on behalf of our supposed leaders...

• Options
    Anyone see David Starkey last night, blimey!
  • Options
    Was he on newsnight?

• Options
    A lot of rage about Starkey today. Not sure what my opinion is.

Trying to address the problem at hand is difficult not to appear racist, and Starkey isn't exactly one who grew up with political correctness around. But being young, some of the things he was saying do seem to be true. This is quite good to sum the situation up: http://100gf.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/david-starkey-comments-cause-outrage-on-twitter-but-was-he-right/
  • Options
    Nick CourtnadgeRioters: avoid prosecution for future vandalism and theft charges by becoming an mp first.
  • Options
    http://news.sky.com/home/video/16050090

sky interview re Woolwich, taken from 853.com website.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://news.sky.com/home/video/16050090

sky interview re Woolwich, taken from 853.com website.

Hat taken off to the three lads here

• Options
    build more prisons and lock them up to provide more deterrants and to smash the gang culture  - ditch the softly rehabilitation route which doesn't appear to work.  Start building factories and getting the less bright in society making things even if it costs money. There's nowhere for them to work now - years ago, the less intelligent would still have a useful role in society by filling the factories or working in the docks or whatever - we don't have those 'fodder' jobs anymore so that, allied to the handouts and the lack of proper custodial deterrants has lead to all this - add that to the ghetto mentality and the lack of reason to respect society due to the lack of morality amongst those at the 'top end' and we've got a sub class of scumbags. They take a low paid factory job or nothing - they step out of line, they get banged up for a long time. They can even be put to work helping to build the prisons they could end up in.Might start motivating them to work harder at school as well. That's my solution. There are no simple answers but hopefully these riots will bring things to a head and start giving the police and the justice system the power to sort things out. No point putting them in the army for 2 years if they've still got nothing to do when they get out.
  • Options
    build more prisons and lock them up to provide more deterrants and to smash the gang culture  - ditch the softly rehabilitation route which doesn't appear to work.  Start building factories and getting the less bright in society making things even if it costs money. There's nowhere for them to work now - years ago, the less intelligent would still have a useful role in society by filling the factories or working in the docks or whatever - we don't have those 'fodder' jobs anymore so that, allied to the handouts and the lack of proper custodial deterrants has lead to all this - add that to the ghetto mentality and the lack of reason to respect society due to the lack of morality amongst those at the 'top end' and we've got a sub class of scumbags. They take a low paid factory job or nothing - they step out of line, they get banged up for a long time. They can even be put to work helping to build the prisons they could end up in.Might start motivating them to work harder at school as well. That's my solution. There are no simple answers but hopefully these riots will bring things to a head and start giving the police and the justice system the power to sort things out. No point putting them in the army for 2 years if they've still got nothing to do when they get out.

Too true...

And those two idiots miliband and livingstone really grind my gears. Blaming the riots on the gap between rich and poor. Well firstly it's got nothing to do with that as there were all segments of society getting involved in the opportunist criminality but secondly the idiots still had the nerve to say this after their party was the one to increase the gap between the rich and the poor.

Also every person that spoke on Question Time were just trying to promote themselves and their jobs i.e social workers just to bump their pay packets up and a quick top up of their ego's...

Rant over

• Options

Too true...

And those two idiots miliband and livingstone really grind my gears. Blaming the riots on the gap between rich and poor. Well firstly it's got nothing to do with that as there were all segments of society getting involved in the opportunist criminality but secondly the idiots still had the nerve to say this after their party was the one to increase the gap between the rich and the poor.

Also every person that spoke on Question Time were just trying to promote themselves and their jobs i.e social workers just to bump their pay packets up and a quick top up of their ego's...

Rant over

Nobody gets in social work for money nor especially ego - I can personally assure you. Children's social workers have a pretty horrendous job. Suggesting that they're raising issues on Question Time to bump their pay packets is borderline ridiculous.

I'd listen to them as to why this has happened, as they're the ones dealing with these people every single day. Me and you just pass them in the street and then want to sit here and lecture social workers? And come up with our own ideas - like penal colonies or bangin' 'em all up - that we've put 5 minutes thought into or read somewhere else?

I'm aware that this has affected near enough everyone and of course everyone is going to have an opinion on it, but attacking social workers is low.
  • Options
    Well said Chunes!

Personally i think locking them up could have the reverse of smashing up gang cultures.
  • Options

Put em against a wall and shoot them!

I reckon that will put a stop to it and also get rid of them and their genes!!

• Options
    Have you ever worked in a factory?
    I know what you are saying but you do need some very fine brains to make factories work and produce goods.
    Also what "things" could we produce that needs a low skilled workforce and still compete with say China?

• Options

While not condoning wholesale criminality in riots. the reward for failure culture of bankers, NOTW bosses, Shoesmith, MP's expenses has not been addressed by either party. FFS the police are claiming success over their reaction to the riots. Fosters the feeling if they get something for nothing, why can't I?
  • Options

Too true...

Rant over

don't agree with that - the tories will always look after the rich, however its dressed up - don't want to have a debate about it but personally i trace it all back to Thatcher.
  • Options
    Have you ever worked in a factory? I know what you are saying but you do need some very fine brains to make factories work and produce goods. Also what "things" could we produce that needs a low skilled workforce and still compete with say China?
    no i haven't and yes i realise that. Doesn't matter what they make, it's just about giving them a role and if the government has to subsidise it then so be it. I'm not being patronising but there are vast sections of our country (and i include myself and mny family) who years ago would have been working in these types of industries - they don't exist now and so we have nothing for the 'less motivated' or possibly less able to do. In prisons, they create workshops to try and do this. Why not try and do it before it gets to that stage - prevention is better than cure.