Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The People's Cup | Charlton vs. Den Bosch | PSF | Match Preview/Views/Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Good game but going to be hung over for work in thr morning...
  • Options
    i will leave my match post tomorrow coz im nackered ;-)
  • Options
    Good game. Tried the Oak after the match for a change. Got beaten at pool by a Chelsea girl. 
    Sorry to anyone sat in or near C block in the East. I just love a good shout. 
    Lovely goal by BWP, reminding us why we were so excited to sign him. Can't wait for Millwall and the start of the season. 
    COYR.
  • Options
    As somebody has mentioned with only friendlies up to now it's difficult to tell but does anybody look like being the "hard man" in the centre of midfield ?
  • Options
    My only real concern now is up front. Hayes did ok but isn't going to be prolific, Benno likewise. We need another 20 goal a season man and soon. Compliment that with Schlupp and we will be okay.

BWP is too good for League One but thank god we have got him. As with Benty I'm always confident when he's presented with a chance. If we were to sell him we'd be in trouble. And despite what some would say he works hard for the team too.

Pluses were Green, Hollands, Stephens, Taylor, Morrison and Bover. Hayes showed some nice touches and generally did ok. Solly, Jackson both solid. Wiggins was a slight disappointment but was up against a decent player and maybe it was an off game.

Finally, I seriously hope Rasiak isn't the answer to the striker question.
  • Options
    My only real concern now is up front. Hayes did ok but isn't going to be prolific, Benno likewise. We need another 20 goal a season man and soon. Compliment that with Schlupp and we will be okay.

BWP is too good for League One but thank god we have got him. As with Benty I'm always confident when he's presented with a chance. If we were to sell him we'd be in trouble. And despite what some would say he works hard for the team too.

Pluses were Green, Hollands, Stephens, Taylor, Morrison and Bover. Hayes showed some nice touches and generally did ok. Solly, Jackson both solid. Wiggins was a slight disappointment but was up against a decent player and maybe it was an off game.

Finally, I seriously hope Rasiak isn't the answer to the striker question.

Bloody Hell Large! I would seriously doubt we have the cash to bring in another 20-goal striker, even the likes of Le Fondre would be out of our price range and he is in League Two.

The likelihood is that BWP will be the main goals man and we have to hope that other strikers chip in and that we get good goals from midfield.

• Options
    how quick was pritchard near the end when solly misjudged the ball and it bounced over him pritchard skinned the attacker and solly
  • Options
    The only negatives I can see going forward is right back positon and we really need a left footed centre half.

Green looks a great signing, 2 midfielders are steady eddies, as looked the centre halves.

I'd play Francis over Solly.....

PS: Was that BDL doing the worst Steve McLaren impression?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Do any teams have TWO twenty goal a season strikers? Most teams don't have one. As long as everyone in the team chips in with a few goals, we'll be fine. You would hope Jacko/Green would be able to get into double figures again, and Stephens/Hollands about 5 each. That's already 10 more than our midfield scored last season, and not a massively unrealistic expectation.
  • Options

decent game, that team will only improve, think some are being a bit harsh on Wiggins - though he actually defended (which is what he's primarily there to do) pretty well, give him time.

Stephens was a class above anything else on that pitch, we now have a solid spine with the 2 CH, 2 CM and BWP....Green will also supply bundles.

All in all I'm happy and optimistic..

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love these match threads but this one was poorer for not having a half time discussion on what everyone had for dinner... Hopefully it's just a pre-season thing and we'll all be rareing to go when the season kicks off proper
  • Options

another thing , the 'macron' sign on the back of damian matthews top was half fallen off and one of the others had completely peeled off , hardly gonna encourage people to buy stuff is it

...... says the bloke who just bought 3 new white away kits for his boys

• Options
    Love the look the Stephens, proper proper footballer, great user of the football, clever brain, and keeps the team ticking. Hollands is better then Semedo, end of that debate. 

First time I've seen Danny Green, and you can see why he had teams after him, probably lacks a yard of pace, but his ability to get the ball and just whip in quality is great, hopefully BWP, Benno and Hayes will learn to gamble on Green dropping the ball between the 6yard box and the penalty spot and attacking it. 

• Options
    How much did those 3 white away kits cost?
  • Options
    How much did those 3 white away kits cost?

£32 each for a kit comprising of shirt, shorts and socks (which are thankfully not the polyester shit they used to be)

for 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 year olds

• Options
    Good all round performance.  Can't go overboard as was just a PSF but there were a lot of decent individual performances.  Yes, Wiggins was caught out early on but improved.  Rest of the back five all solid.

Stong midfield, Green was very lively and Hayes, quietly efficient all night,  got on the end of a couple of his crosses.  One hit the bar and the other flashed across the face of the goal.  Liked Stephens movement and Hollands covering and tidying up.  Jackson set up the goal and moved the ball well.

If anyone was below par it was BWP but he did what good goal scorers do and he also worked hard all night.

Hard to know how good Den Bosch were but I suspect that they play more passing football than a lot of the teams we'll face.

Evina, Alonso, Schlupp?, A N Other still to come in contention as well.

Cautiously optimistic
  • Options
    Good game. Tried the Oak after the match for a change. Got beaten at pool by a Chelsea girl. 

Lovely goal by BWP, reminding us why we were so excited to sign him. Can't wait for Millwall and the start of the season. 

COYR.
    Are you the bald fella at the front of the C block with the little set of hooligan kids singing STAND UP IF YOU LOVE CHARLTON and then going "why is nobody standing up? "
  • Options
    Pleased with the performance last night.   Good to see them passing the ball around.  Thought 4 and 8 looked particularly good (don't know their names).  The centre backs looked very solid, though to be honest, I'm not sure how much of a test Den Bosch were.  If I had one criticism its that I thought there were a couple of chances to soot that we didn't take. 
  • Options
    edited July 2011
     PS: Was that BDL doing the worst Steve McLaren impression?
    At the end of the game? I thought that was the DB chairman!

• Options
    saying about our not having two 20 goal a season, if hayes gets 10+ ( which i think he will as will benno) bwp will get 20+

our first choice midfield last season got

stephens 9
    hollands 7
    Green 12
    Jackson 13

41 goals from first choice midfield? not including waggy's goals either

we'll have enough fire power this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    not is BWP gets injured next Satutday and is out for 6 months..............watching Benno & Hayes up front together fills me with dread.
  • Options
    I think Hayes will be a good signing for us, done well when he's played in this league before and he has BWP who knows where the net is as well. Hopefully if we have someone who takes a good corner and free kick (which we haven't had for years) hopefully we'll get a few from them with Morrison and Taylor.

• Options
    i think benno will get more than 10.
  • Options
    Does this mean we have qualified for Europe?
  • Options

Agree Benno could be a new man. Many moons ago in the time before premier, I put a £1 in a plastic bucket got a certificate, and Charlton got Ronnie Moore from Rotherman. £7,500 I think we paid. For a while Ronnie was a bit poo ! Then we discovered Ronnie needed his friend, so we went to Rotherman and Tony Towner who was crossing the ball to nobody for them, joined us as well. Suddenly Ronnie was a revelation and the goals came. Benno amd Green will history repeat itself !

• Options
    I think you're right for once. If he didn't get that unlucky red against Colchester and the one after that he would certainly have added to it. In fact his second against Colchester should never have been disallowed!
  • Options

Agree Benno could be a new man. Many moons ago in the time before premier, I put a £1 in a plastic bucket got a certificate, and Charlton got Ronnie Moore from Rotherman. £7,500 I think we paid. For a while Ronnie was a bit poo ! Then we discovered Ronnie needed his friend, so we went to Rotherman and Tony Towner who was crossing the ball to nobody for them, joined us as well. Suddenly Ronnie was a revelation and the goals came. Benno amd Green will history repeat itself !

I never got my certificate :-(

Benno is a decent hard working player who had the courage to step out of a comfort zone. I liked that he worked hard and bust  agut, even if the results weren't always evident. In a stronger team that acknowledges and plays to his strengths he'll score goals and if he doesn't then he'll create a little chaos in the penalty box. I mostly want to see him coming off the bench with 20/30 minutes to go and running at defenders and making  anuisance of himself. With a goal scoring midfield and BWP/Hayes alongside him he'll score a few and contribute directly or indirectly a few more.

• Options

Ralph , I was a big Ronnie Moore fan but my memory tells me that he was a better centre back than centre forward for the Addicks and that Towner never really hit the heights for us . I agree that they were brilliant against us for Rotherham in one of Ken Craggs's last games .

My favourite memory of him was the two Spurs Cup games where he captained the side well and led by example.

Getting back to Benno and Green I am pleased that they are together , it adds to our options .

• Options

COYR.
    Are you the bald fella at the front of the C block with the little set of hooligan kids singing STAND UP IF YOU LOVE CHARLTON and then going "why is nobody standing up? "
    Haha! No, but that guy was amazing. I was right at the back. 
    Great view form up there! It was nice not to have to crane my neck to see the whole pitch. 
  • Options
    hayes will set chances up for the players around him! he might not be a goal machine but is clever with the ball! stephens was always looking for the ball last night and looked to play ball to feet! sometimes he could have played the ball to green more but played it simple! greens played some brilliant balls into the box which will be put into the net in time! hollands looked class also and was very good ,morrison and taylor are looking like a good partnership at the back and morrison talks and talks which is very good to hear! i like both of them, jackson will be his nomual self! wiggins! ok he looked edgey but when he was skinned by den boschs lively winger he got back at him to block most of his crosses! when bover came on he looked lively and was fouled left right and centre bit light weight you say! but he could win us free kick after free kick i was very impressed!!! pritchard to looked better than i thought he would and tracked back well, really looking forward to new season now!