Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memories of Alan Simonsen (NOT a RIP)

Comments

• itsmyball said:
    I was with Niky johns last year and mentioned alan simenson. He said he was always two passes ahead of the other players .
    Apart from Hales who did keep up...They took Ipswich apart in the first 20 mins of a cup game 2-0 up, but our midfield allowed Eric Gates to get a grip of the game and I think we lost 2-3 in the end.
    Ipswich were one of the best teams in the country at the time.
  • PopIcon said:
    How much did we sell him for?
    I've heard that we actually didn't even finish buying him (so he left for nothing). 
  • edited November 2020
    itsmyball said:
    I was with Niky johns last year and mentioned alan simenson. He said he was always two passes ahead of the other players .
    Apart from Hales who did keep up...They took Ipswich apart in the first 20 mins of a cup game 2-0 up, but our midfield allowed Eric Gates to get a grip of the game and I think we lost 2-3 in the end.
    It was just an end to end game. Alan Brazil was clean through for Ipswich in the very early minutes but Nicky Johns stuck a leg out to take the ball and stop Brazil rounding him. In the 2nd half, we had a few decent flurries but generally Ipswich were the stronger team. 

Overall I don't think there was a big problem with the other players being on the same wavelength as Simonsen, after all, we scored quite a few goals with him in the team. The main problem was that we just didn't have especially good team-players and despite the best efforts of a fine keeper, we always looked like we would concede. We had some good individual players but collectively it was often very messy. 

In subsequent seasons, Lennie Lawrence gradually made us a lot tighter at the back and we began to wear teams down, rather than play such an expansive style and we would see quite a steady 2-0 type wins. 
  • Simonsen said:
    PopIcon said:
    How much did we sell him for?
    I've heard that we actually didn't even finish buying him (so he left for nothing). 
    The payment was in instalments and we could not afford the next one so his transfer was annulled...........shame, the best footballer I have seen in person
  • stonemuse said:
    Solidgone said:
    Great player but too good. No other player knew how to play with him. It was almost like “here’s the ball now go and score, while we watch”. Went to the England v Denmark match and cheered when he scored the winner. 
    He passed the ball to where he expected our players to be ... all too often they couldn’t keep up. 

Great memories and so proud he played for us. 
    As I heard someone say on the East Terrace - it's like putting a race horse in with donkeys!
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    One for ooh ah….. there you go Lennie moaning about our away following back in 1983!
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    One for ooh ah….. there you go Lennie moaning about our away following back in 1983!
    Perfect , even when we try to get a personality , former European footballer of the year and our beige support carries on the same , twas ever thus 
  • When I went to the 92 Euros in Sweden I had to stay in Copenhagen for the group games in Malmö and get the ferry across. Got stopped when I left to go to Stockholm for the last game and had my bag searched. The customs guy pulled out my Charlton shirt and in a voice that sounded like the Swedish chef from the muppets said “ALLAN SIMONSEN” laughed and let me go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Still can't believe we had the pleasure of seeing such a class act in our shirt on our turf. As an Impressionable 12/13 year old this man has really stuck with me. Would surely grace today's much hyped Premier League and so proud to say he played for us, however all too briefly.

Would love to meet him.
  • I always thought it was a shame that he wasn't with us a couple of years later when Lennie took us up to the old First Division.

That team could have been awesome if it had a bit of stardust that Simonsen would have provided similar in the way Di Canio did in 03/04. 
  • When I went to the 92 Euros in Sweden I had to stay in Copenhagen for the group games in Malmö and get the ferry across. Got stopped when I left to go to Stockholm for the last game and had my bag searched. The customs guy pulled out my Charlton shirt and in a voice that sounded like the Swedish chef from the muppets said “ALLAN SIMONSEN” laughed and let me go.
    Did he also find your leather gear, handcuffs and gross box of condoms, which in those days were on your ‘essential’ travel items list?
  • There was nothing of him,but he rode tackles like they did not exist.Pleasure to have seen him in a Charlton shirt.Best memory,being the best player on the pitch against an Ipswich side that were really a joy to watch.
  • The French sports paper l’Equipe had a little feature on Allan Simonsen in yesterday’s edition!

• The French sports paper l’Equipe had a little feature on Allan Simonsen in yesterday’s edition!

I’m surprised they didn’t bother to check the spelling of his first name.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Brilliant.

This clip includes what would have been the best goal I've ever seen live.....if only Killers' header had gone in. 

Iirc it was Simonsen's debut in a reserve match at the Valley. Didnt think it had been captured on film. 
  • Danepak said:
    The French sports paper l’Equipe had a little feature on Allan Simonsen in yesterday’s edition!

I’m surprised they didn’t bother to check the spelling of his first name.

Wrong thread?
  • Good crowd that day. I was on the East terrace
  • Sponsored links:

• I love the tape hiss, takes me right back!
  • Good crowd that day. I was on the East terrace
    Kevin Beattie playing for Middlesbrough that day
  • Awful rendition of Red Red Robin. In fact, watching the first few minutes of that video makes you realise what a very, very good 'match day experience' going to games at the Valley is these days. 
  • we were on holiday in the south of france when he signed and my dad decided we would cut the holiday short by a day to be there for his debut - my mum wasn't entirely impressed   
  • Jeez, though this was an RIP thread when it popped up!!  Phew. 
  • That Middlesbrough game was my Valley debut! I shall watch that with interest! 
  • Think I've seen myself in the first shot of the away end. I didn't know where to go so ended up sitting in the nearest block to the entry, at the back. 

Pretty sure the crowd was 10,807. I seem to remember they played Star Wars music at the start and Zambezi by The Piranhas at the end. Wonder if my memory has played tricks (wouldn't be the first time!) 
  • Fuck me...they did play Star Wars! And WTF was that version of Red Red Robin?!!! 
  • More news clips on Museum's Youtube site under 1982/83 playlist about Allan's time at Charlton.