Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pierre Bolangi - OS piece on July 2023 Legacy Match (p4)

Comments

• T_C_E said:
    My vote for Mr & Mrs @Fanny Fanackapan as project management team is in the post and I’ll see if I can get passed security to help out. 
    Aw, thanks, T.C.E.... I think !

Have only just seen this thread and a bit upset that we didn't know anything about this event.

Perhaps someone might point me in the direction of the information, unless it was by invitation only.
    Was just by chance that I spotted comments from Peter Varney and Tracey Leaburn, along with a photo from the latter on Twitter 
    OK, thanks, FA

Don't "do" Twitter so missed it.
  • I am more than happy to help as well.
    Me too. I've also offered Fanny 1/2 of my roses that I'm growing if it's wanted needed. 
  • It is such a tragic event. A young lad with his dreams ahead of him. Maybe when our troubles are sorted, something could be done in a way of memorial at the Valley. 
  • clive said:
    We are extremely fortunate to still have some staff at our club that we can trust to do everything they can under very challenging circumstances to ensure its real heartbeat continues undiminished.
  • I have a bit more time on my hands now I have semi retired so when we rid ourselves of these scummy people that think they own the club I would be more than willing to help out and get the garden back into the shape it deserves, that is of course if you are looking for helpers. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Seeing this over two sports pages in the i just brought back the shocking circumstances and disbelief that young footballers in combat gear could be put in that terrible situation.
    I hope the idiot that caused Pierre's death see's his face every time he shuts his eyes.

The sheer negligence is off the scale.
    A young life wasted.

• edited September 2020
    How low our club  has sunk, when this is allowed to happen. 

George has since trained as a counsellor and now works with Premier League clubs, footballers and trains club staff. In August, he arranged a 20th anniversary tribute event at Charlton to remember Bolangi, bringing together family, friends and former team-mates via social media, WhatsApp, letters, calls and word-of-mouth. Powell was there.  George is disappointed that were it not for him Charlton apparently would have let the occasion pass.  

• Horrible to read that and hear the young players who were friends of Pierres got so little support afterwards 
  • Horrible to read that and hear the young players who were friends of Pierres got so little support afterwards 
    This. It must have been traumatic for them in the extreme.
  • redman said:
    CACT are to update the Pierre memorial during July, which I presume is also triggered by our new ownership. They have asked for the Walking Football group to help for which we have several willing volunteers. 
    May I ask where you have seen this, please, @redman.

Thanks.
  • redman said:
    CACT are to update the Pierre memorial during July, which I presume is also triggered by our new ownership. They have asked for the Walking Football group to help for which we have several willing volunteers. 

Thanks.
    Happy to attend (if I can get through security) 😉
  • redman said:

Thanks.
    I was told at my walking football session this morning by the CACT guy who runs our sessions. He was asking for volunteers. I am sure if you or anyone else was involved in the original memorial wanted to be involved it could be arranged. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    redman said:
    redman said:

Thanks.
    I was told at my walking football session this morning by the CACT guy who runs our sessions. He was asking for volunteers. I am sure if you or anyone else was involved in the original memorial wanted to be involved it could be arranged. 
    OK, thanks for that.

I am interested in what is to be updated . As far as I'm aware, the Garden area is no longer in situ and we have never been informed as to the viability of the plants & shrubs that were dug up & apparently transported to Hadlow for safe keeping. 

I was informed by one of its members that the newly formed Commemorative Group had this item in hand but that's as much as I know. 

I have asked our dear friend at CACT if she is able to throw any light on this.
  • Jean can I ask who your 'dear friend at CACT' is? My contact id Matt Phillips. I am sure they are all on the same page but never hurts to check. 
  • redman said:
    Jean can I ask who your 'dear friend at CACT' is? My contact id Matt Phillips. I am sure they are all on the same page but never hurts to check. 
    It's the CACT Chair.
  • Doesn’t show the club in a good light TBH
  • redman said:
    It was triggered by Kevin George last year, before Thomas had bought us.

https://www.kevingeorge.online/emotional-literacy-mental-health-blog/pierre-bolangi-charlton-athletic-fc

I made contact with him shortly after that article, then Wayne Mumford and then via Matt Baker we've pushed to get something reinstated all be it likely in a temporary siting to start with until it's hopefully final position is ready at some point. (I think the club asked Matt to oversee due to the delicate nature with the family and Pierres peers).

It's great that this is happening, long overdue, but we all know the reasons for that (previous owners). But like Fanny unsure what the reference to updating is.

I'm surprised CACT are suddenly involved, Matt hadn't mentioned.

I just hope that they are keeping the family and as important Kevin and Pierre's peers involved who even today still suffer from the terrible events back on that dreadful day in August 2000.

They will be meeting up again soon to further commemorate Pierre's life and it would be fitting if the Garden is there for them to see.
  • I will update when I hear more. I suspect it is all been dealt with properly but I agree it is a delicate matter and wouldn't want anybody going off half cock. 
  • I have now heard that work is going on next week. As I am out of the loop at the moment I don't know exactly what the plans are. 
  • Hopefully Mrs F is in the loop on this one. 😉
  • Please TS make this happen as a priority. 
  • T_C_E said:
    Hopefully Mrs F is in the loop on this one. 😉
    Not exactly, T_C_E.....

I have asked the questions, but have not received the answers.