Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First game back at the Valley - were you there ? your memories (30 years ago today)

Comments

• Options
    No ticket for this and in fact had a ticket for Tottenham v Chelsea the same say, went to the Valley for the build up, Spud left for WHL and I stayed behind as I couldnt leave, I watched over the fence from the garage block in Landowne Mews and then when the gates opened with five minutes to go got to stand at the back of the Covered End. A day I will never forget and along with the Woowich Town Hall meeting one I am thrilled to have been at, 20 years ago no way, on a positive my Back to the Valley Ribero home shirt still fits me!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It was an emotional occasion - I sat in the Jimmy Seed Stand - the Portsmouth fans were in the temporary stand to my left. Had to keep pinching myself that we were back home.
  • Options
    I remember the walk from the town hall reminding those locals that 'Charlton are back'.
    Was sat in the covered end near the corner flag. What an amazing day, and those memories are flooding back!!
    Surprised there isn't a 20 years later march from the town hall!!
    Steve n Alan's red n white army.
    Was a bit upset everyone stood all afternoon though which I'm sure ruined the occasion for many!!! Lol
  • Options
    edited December 2012
  • Options
    I think what I remember most of all was the racket. After all the years of lousy atmospheres this was incredible to be part of. You could see John Robinson, never the most pacy winger, found an extra yard from the noise, Lee Power, a late loan signing, played like his life depended on it. Carl Leaburn walked over to take a long throw and the crowd rose to applaud him like a returning gladiator. It was a good game, Pompey never came to roll over, but second half we battered them in search of a second goal and the noise was deafening. And as I caught my breath I remember thinking how come that just watching a decent game of football again at The Valley, could feel so bloody wonderful.

As the Mercury headline said afterwards it was a sight for sore eyes.
  • Options
    I was there - on my birthday! Sat in the Covered End, right behind where Walshy buried the winner!
  • Options
    Had to sit in the West next to Pompey fans. Great day...
  • Options
    No. Couldn't get a ticket so went to Craven Cottage instead.
  • Options
    My most lasting memory was crying a little tear watching, of all people, Kim Grant coming out to warm up on the pitch! That was when it sank in...
  • Options
    managed to get tickets for the J Seed stand because the kids were junior reds
    . I remember that I could not park in the road where I first kicked a ball (Rathmore) but managed to find a spot in inverine road. I can remember seeing Steve backly. the javelin thrower standing at the junction of church lane & Floyd road (was he a guest or is he a fan).when we got to our seats the atmosphere was sensational and we all had tears in our eye when they played the red red robin. I like probably many others sat there thinking of fans that had passed on in the previous 7 years. I can also remember turning to the wife & saying no bastard can take the Valley away from us ever again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hard to believe it was 10 years ago. My friends mum lived in the flats overlooking the ground so we had a celebratory lunch there before the game. Was then in the temporary seating in the west stand. Strange to see the empty east terrace as that is where i always stood and am back in the east stand now. Very emotional day, and the icing on the cake to win as well
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    wow leaburnforengland i was sitting next to you! i kept that seat for about 10 years as an st holder. were u just in that seat that day?
  • Options
    philcafc said:

Hard to believe it was 10 years ago. My friends mum lived in the flats overlooking the ground so we had a celebratory lunch there before the game. Was then in the temporary seating in the west stand. Strange to see the empty east terrace as that is where i always stood and am back in the east stand now. Very emotional day, and the icing on the cake to win as well

Very hard to believe. It was 20 years ago :-)
  • Options
    Oops! Doesn't time fly!
  • Options
    Had watched us in exile at Sellout and Upton Park, did all the marches, town hall planning meetings and stood for the valley party. Always hoped that one day we would be back and this was the day it finally came true. 20 years ago sat in the same seat I sit in now in the north lower with my mates I was with on that day. Now joined by my 13 year old son who can watch his team at their rightful home when he might never had seen Charlton play at all if we had continued ground sharing and I can say that in a small way I made that happen. Like 20 years ago expect I will have a little tear in the eye on the 5th December 2012..........
  • Options
    Wow, time flies. Was one of the first few to enter the ground 20 years ago, me and Jamey at the front of the covered end singing back at the valley / Charlton are back.
    Remember us being the only two in the ground at the time and being filmed, steam still coming of the newly laid Tarmac.....
  • Options
    Such an emotional day. Remember getting off the train at Charlton, not believing we were back. 7 years felt like 70.
    What happened in 85 must never be allowed to happen again.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    As a 5 year old at the time, I only have very vague memories and didn't realise the scale of the day at the time. As years have gone on I've obviously appreciated the fact I was there more and more.

I think we were at the front left of the Covered End, and I remember being surprised, maybe a little scared by the crowds. My mum made me a big red, cardboard hat with 'Back to the Valley' on and I recall being annoyed at my dad because he wouldn't let me wear it during the game as it would block the people behind.

I meant to being a couple of photos to work and scan, but having not had the time I've dug this up from my Photobucket instead. This was from a few weeks or so beforehand, we went up so my dad could donate to the going back fund, whilst I contributed something like 50p from my pocket money. Happy anniversary everyone.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/255/valley92.jpg/
  • Options

wow leaburnforengland i was sitting next to you! i kept that seat for about 10 years as an st holder. were u just in that seat that day?

Haha really? Wow. I had a season ticket there for about ten years myself - the first game back my Dad could only get a seat in the East side of the Covered end but he moved over next to us a few matches later.... If that rings any bells!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Most certainly was, with my late father and son, three generations. Remember driving to the Valley with an upbeat version of 'Back to the Valley' belting out in the car on tape with window open for the benefit of any members of the public who weren't aware of our homecoming. Having followed the team to Sellout and Upton Parks, we managed to get three tickets in the Jimmy Seed close to the centre pillar about 15 rows back. Such emotion and atmosphere albeit only three sides open, a fantastic day up there with play off final in my humble opinion, capped of by that Walshie winner early in the first half. All the former players that came onto the pitch that day pre match including one of my Dad's heroes Sailor Brown brought a tear to the eye and I can still see that fan now who ran on to hug Killer and bow at his feet. To paraphrase a qoute by the legendary former Liverpool manager Bill Shankly 'Charlton to me is not just a matter of life or death, it's more important than that'. Was then and is now COYR!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will never forgive Charlton as I was unable to get a ticket for the first game back at the Valley. Went to every home game at Selhurst & Upton Park but they made it a free for all for this game. It annoys me when I read that it was some peoples first game at the Valley.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday SCM, it was on my birthday too, hadn't had a better present before and haven't since - fantasctic day!!
  • Options
    Great day, foresters pub in the morning to blow away the cobwebs from the back to the valley party the night before, 96 to woolwich and then the march to the ground. Great seat in the covered end, sat with mark dannet but he only lasted until half time as he had a headache, hungover more than likely, lightweight. Then valley pub afterwards celebrating to the early hours.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I was there with my two children (now both grown up, of course, but still supporters). Unfortunately my nine year old son became ill - I think that the excitement of the occasion was just too much for him - and we had to leave at half time. The only match I have ever left before the final whistle and it had to be that one! I can still recall walking back to the car with the noise from the valley rising and falling in the distance. I for one was very glad that we didn't score again after Walshie's fabulous goal!
  • Options
    I didn't go. As someone who only went a few times to Selhurst, it never crossed my mind that I could possibly get a ticket. Sorry Northumberland, but I wished I'd tried to get one now.

I do remember watching the highlights on telly though, but I know I have a real false memory about that one. As I remember it, I watched with my Dad at my parents house. That can't have happened though as he'd died in the January (the day after that Newcastle match) he didn't even live near me anymore. Wishful thinking I suppose - he'd have loved to see us back.

• Options
    I was right in the middle of the march photo in the Mercury. I sat in the South stand and slipped on the sand on that metal pathway, I had my first moan about the club at the Valley in 7 years!
  • Options
    Privileged to be there in the South. I remember unfortunately arriving much later than planned. Missed too much of the build up but I will always remember the Red Red Robin bringing more than a tear to a lot of grown mens eyes.

I was at the Stoke game and the first game at Sellout also: in the latter there were almost as many Sunderland as Charlton in a crowd of 5000 odd. Who else was there? Such contrasting memories.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Started off in the H&G, me, my dad and pals, ended up in a very busy Oak, slll started going hazy after that.

Sat in the North stand over towards the corrugated east stand behind a stair well/exit, great atmosphere, ended up in a pub in Plumstead for even more beer.

Have met with Colin Walsh a few times since on other business, top fella.

didnt we kiss the ground da9
  • Options
    I was nearly 2 months old.
  • Options
    How many times have I watched the highlights of that game? Loads! The immortal lines from Brian Moore of "A shot...........and a goal..............and it becomes the perfect start............." RIP Brian. You were an icon in my childhood. As someone in their mid-forties now, I recall very much how exciting it was when Charlton (rarely, of course) appeared on The Big Match on ITV. Football on tv was limited in those days when there were genuinely only 3 channels. Youngsters won't believe that now. No shops were open on Sundays, no internet, no mobiles.....just the chart rundown on Radio 1 that you tried to record on your tape-recorder using a manual mic. Aaah, where's we comfortable slippers?