Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Morrissey / genious or twat?

Thought I'd set a Henry Irvine type poser. I think Morrissey is crap, but am open minded enough for a reasoned debate.

Comments

• Early stuff was interesting and imho very good but he is definitely also a twat.
  • Millwall fan.
  • Genius is maybe a bit strong, but the answer is both.
  • Without doubt a 24 carat gold talentless twat, same goes for Johnny Marr, I'd play him off the stage, I hate The Smiths with a passion, utter utter utter shiiiiiite! Soulless fools! Anyone who like them should sell their ipod and cut their ears off!!!

So there!
  • [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Without doubt a 24 carat gold talentless twat, same goes for Johnny Marr, I'd play him off the stage, I hate The Smiths with a passion, utter utter utter shiiiiiite! Soulless fools! Anyone who like them should sell their ipod and cut their ears off!!!

So there!

I take it you don't like him?
  • 'Hatful of Hollow' is right up there in my own poptastic top ten albums................ever.

However, Morrisey is a twat of the first order of twatdom............................IMHO.
  • Nah! hes alrignt!
  • Twat. Don't understand why his music is so popular. I feel like getting a razorblade out everytime I hear a smiths song. Nowhere near as dull as Oasis though.
  • Sponsored links:

• twat

miserable music miserable persona
  • If you like the noise that a band or a singer makes, does it matter whether they are a genius, a twat or anything else?

Personal stuff, music. If it "strikes a match" in you ... that should be enough.

He is a twat though.
  • He is a good lyricist without a doubt, but too often for me its just built around the lyrics with little thought going into shaping the sound - both the smiths and his solo career - johnny marr is also one of the most overrated musicians in history. Oh and yes he himself is a thwaite of the highest order.

James/Tim Booth>>>>>The Smiths/Morrissey
  • Never really liked the Smiths but do like some of Morrisey's recent stuff
  • The Smiths were hit and miss - tripe mixed with absolute genius. How Soon Is Now, BigMouth Strikes Again, the Boy With The Thorn In His Side, This Charming Man... The list of their crackers is monumental. However, there were some duffers in there for sure. They were like Embrace - Morrissey's voice is as shit as Danny McNamara's but somehow fits their music perfectly.

Morrissey himself is undoubtedly a prick, and his solo stuff is all tripe. Anyone who doesn't appreciate the genius of Johnny Marr is a fool, or has never played the guitar. The bloke is an incredibly talented guitarist and songwriter.
  • it's Irving with a G
  • edited May 2010
    I like him and the smiths says a lot about me. English blood irish heart is a cracking song as is the first of the gang to die of his recent stuff, I respect his right to be weird and odd, given half the tosh in the charts at the mo give me some smiths and mozza anytime of the day.
  • I cant spell...sue me!
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    The bloke is an incredibly talented guitarist and songwriter.

Agreed
  • Sponsored links:

• Like the smiths and their music speaks to a lot of people. Think he is a bit of a whally but they were talented as they were around where a modicum of talent was required to be successful rather than the simon cowell conveyor belt paint by numbers guff we are treated to now.
  • [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    The bloke is an incredibly talented guitarist and songwriter.

Agreed

And a great guy as well. A few friends and I met him a few years ago. They didn't know who he was but still thought he was a great guy.
  • This is exactly why music (or politics) shouldn't be discussed on CL.

Already we have:

1. Someone on here who reckons they are a better guitarist than Jonny Marr who apparently isn't any good
    2. Someone who thinks the mighty James were better than the Smiths ('sit down' was good fun wasn't it? - especially when everyone sits on the floor at the disco!)
    3. Someone who thinks that they are 'a bit like Embrace' (the worst football 'anthem' in history and erm, can't think what else they actually did)

I'm not saying they are the best, most talented band in history (or that Morrissey isn't a total bellend), but some people have been watching too much X Factor and forgotten what the word 'talent' actually means...

Can we go back to talking about football, please?
  • Can't stand The Smiths or Morissey.

Loved Johnny Marr in Modest Mouse though.
  • Love the Smiths.Love Mozza.
  • [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Can we go back to talking about football, please?

Inter are a bit like Brentford, aren't they? ;-)
  • edited May 2010
    Big...why dont you start a banned subjects thread...ooops, silly me, that wouldnt be about football would it!
    Better still, get admin to remove all the other categories...because that is what misled me in the first place and made me think you could have fun on here with like minded people.
  • Johnny Morrissey, good winger Tranmere.
  • Love The Smiths & love Morrisey (even though he is a bit of a prick, which I think originated from his troubled childhood).

Seen The Smiths a number of times & saw Morrisey about 3 months ago at Alexander Palace - he was distinctly average TBF.

Ps Johnny Marr is a guitar playing legend & anyone that thinks otherwise really doesn't know what the're talking about. He is currently with The Cribs, who aren't too shabby.
  • Bit too modern for an old git like me but I have to say that from what I've heard of his and The Smiths music it is not bad.