Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ideas to help the Club (2010 thread)

Comments

• Options
    with a open space or park, my worry is people getting in free it would have to be a fenced area meaning more stewards
  • Options
    so its not gonna be the Valley then? Would be interested to know what the cost vs 'profit' profile was
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Clique? Just because someone doesnt want the world and its mother to know they are offering theyre services is hardly a basis for calling it a "Clique" As for going on what you know, thats like saying I cant vote in a general election because I dont know absolutely everything about every party.

Its fairly easy to find out what a political party stands for. And if you sent them a message about it, they probably wouldn't reply stating that I can't can't comment because I'm not on the executive.

If you re-read your comment you basically told me I wasn't allowed an opinion because there was stuff going on behind the scenes that I couldn't possibly know about.

And as a former events organiser (of events upwards of 1,000 people) I wish you the best of luck with this and will buy Yassin out of his contract when you pull it off.
  • Options
    HT Whatever I say or do to help this club or motivate people, I'll get no-life people who will go on and on trying to prove they are the winner or that they are more clever with words, or are the better organiser. Well here's your chance...you are now in charge!
  • Options
    I think it’s a shame that two sheds was sadly lost in the tsunami as this gig would have been tailor made for him.
  • Options
    It's now 5 days since I emailed club, celebrity fans, Greenwich Council Parks Dept, dance academy's, other fans etc.
    Seems that the negative posters on here were right, and that nobody can be bothered. I'll give it a few more days but I'm not at all optimistic. Cant wait to see all the "we told you so comments" so get them coming in, my hide is tough!
    The one ray of sunlight has been Greenwich council, so in view of their generosity I might just do my own concert in one of the parks and work on donations and CD sales...and give the club everything after costs. I might not raise much, but every little bit helps.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]HT Whatever I say or do to help this club or motivate people, I'll get no-life people who will go on and on trying to prove they are the winner or that they are more clever with words, or are the better organiser. Well here's your chance...you are now in charge!

I never said I could do better, on the contrary, I know better than to try.

Its a sad fact but it is very difficult to get people to give up their time. If you try and volunteer for a charity they will ask you to commit for six months as they know people are fickle.

As I said in my first statement, its takes a crisis to truly motivate people.

So never fear, when times are truly desperate, the future of the club is seriously threatened, and people are needed to rise up, we'll all be there.

Behind you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HarryLime[/cite]I think it’s a shame that two sheds was sadly lost in the tsunami as this gig would have been tailor made for him.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Who is two sheds? Did I miss something?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Who is two sheds? Did I miss something?

A wind up merchant from the days of netaddicks which preceded this site.

He / she posted under a number of aliases and the least tasteful (arguably) was to use one of those aliases to post that two sheds had perished in the tsunami a day or two after the tragedy happened.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The line up for the fund raising concert won't be Steve Davis, Ndubz, Jim Davidson, Pixie Lott, Lee Ryan or Sugarfree.
    Seems nobody has the skill to send an email saying "No thanks" Thanks to those who offered their help and support, plus a special thanks to a certain somebody who offered to part fund the venture with myself. I'll still be doing a concert by myself in one of the local parks...not optimistic about making anything but it might brighten someones day.
    Will let you know where and when.
  • Options
    Got failure written all over it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bless you for trying is all I can say..you just needed more time...maybe think to do something next summer or something a little less ambitious such as an indoor gig at The Liberal or Con club after a home game next season.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SamB09[/cite]Got failure written all over it.[/quote]

Just the postive type of person we need
  • Options
    Thanks for your nice words Soundas...and the great suggestion. I know nothing about the Lib club but would put on a damn good show for everyone. Wouldnt take much preparation...and if SamB09 is not doing the promoting we could well have a good night. All I'd need is a little info on the club...where is it, how many people does it hold, when would be a good time...and of course to convince people that they would get a good live show.
  • Options
    What about having a piss up in a brewery....?

I'm sure we could organise one of those between us...
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/watford/8710452.stm
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    What about some kind of fundraising funday/weekend at Sparrows Lane, like in the old days, but with all the interest geared to the raising of cash?

You could have music/arts activities, a couple of small stages. (Get Lloyd Sam up - music stage or comedy?);-)

Football activities - Beat the goalie starring Robbie, Randy, & Bob Bolder, meet the team, q&a's, signings, legendary players/masters 6-aside?, kids coaching from the players & staff, & much more.

Stalls(Lloyd Sam & his clothes), rides, Parkys high stakes gambling, auctions(CAFC memorabilia/goodies, dodgy players-who will bid £10 for this 30+ defender with dodgy knees? etc), raffles & more!

Get the fans forum involved, get the club/board involved, & get some £££ into the club. Whilst it may not make too many thousands, it would be a start, & most importantly, see if it could reconnect the club with its fans to some degree.

Just random thoughts!
  • Options
    The only problem is who would supply the entertainment...I spent four days appealing and begging and couldnt find anyone interested. Mins you, I've just been told in a whisper that I'm CREEPY...probably the reason for my failure lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    who would you recommend then?
  • Options
    Organising an event to the standard you were expecting is not something you can do on a fans forum...

Even the smallest of events takes a lot of time, effort and intricate orgasnisation...

An outdoors event is the hardest and most expensive to arrange, you'd be better off looking at an indoor event with a simple theme and aim...
  • Options
    Red...myself and one other in here were willing to finance an event....but all the money in the world wont get people to come to it, and in the end we couldnt get any entertainers...I wasnt sure it would ever get off the ground but my other half is the eternal optimist and has only really just given up today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]I've just been told in a whisper that I'm CREEPY.

You impersonator!
  • Options
    Can you not get to the Valley today to drum up some business?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Can you not get to the Valley today to drum up some business?[/quote]

Whats the point for everyone one person who think its a good idea or willing to help, you have 5 who seem to wish it to fail before anything gets going.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Red...myself and one other in here were willing to finance an event....but all the money in the world wont get people to come to it, and in the end we couldnt get any entertainers...I wasnt sure it would ever get off the ground but my other half is the eternal optimist and has only really just given up today.
    If you're looking to raise money for a football team the most likely people to be interested are, I would summise, football supporters...

Seeing as most football supporters are likely to be 20+ males with a penchance for sinking beer and leering at scantily clad wimmin that's where you start, failing that a good old fashioned jumble sale can work wonders...

Find out what the punter wants and give it to them and the lolly will roll in...

Trouble with entertainers is they usually have their time booked well in advance and are not likely to be that charitable to get off their arses for freebie, no matter how good the cause is...

You need to start off with something simple, see how it goes and then progress from there..
  • Options
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited May 2020
    I hope AFKA doesn’t mind me digging this up.

A memory came up randomly on Facebook, couldn’t really comment on this thread at the time but it did remind me of Wayne’s World 2 but not in a good way. Some killer comments in this thread.

The sad thing is, we’re a lot worse off now.
  • Options
    Seriously, good luck to you on this musicals / Lee Ryan / Diversity dancing / classical piano reciting adventure.

I do not mean to ridicule, but i personally have not seen anything so potentialy catastrophically ridiculous since Baldrick's Charlie Chaplin impression, and find myself reading the 2nd half of this thread in suspended disbelief.

I feel there is as much chance of your idea of being a fund-raising success as there is of Charlton applying to become an independent nation, bombing Germany in the next fortnight, taking their place in the World Cup, and a suprisingly recalled Mike Small going on to win the Golden Boot.

Good luck in your adventures, but i feel you have lost sense of reality. You cannot get a record deal, yet now believe you can sell 10,000 tickets and 500 t-shirts ???

If i'm being harsh, then i apologise. And if somehow this 'thing' becomes a successful venture in the next 6 weeks, i would be willing to have one of your double dvd's shoved down my throat, and the other booted sideways up my rectum.
    Lol at this post. Those were the days.

Big question though - does anyone know how many tickets were sold in the end?