Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Religous beliefs conflicting with sport.

Finding out from another thread that an ex Charlton Manager had strong religous beliefs got me thinking about the Terry / Bridge situation. Having a very poor memory I asked an old covered end friend if what I remembered of the rumours management / player rifts were as bad as I remembered...and he confirmed my fuzzy recollections were correct, this subject being constantly tossed around the terraces for the latter half of the season. Now being a non believer I can easily accept others beliefs and the way these beliefs may make them a better person or aid them socially or proffesionally. However, it is sometimes true that an individuals beliefs form the very bedrock of their personality and their moral judgements of others. Now we all know John Terry can, and has been a loose cannon in his time, so if, and I say only if Mr Coppello has judged Terry utilising a moral code born from a religous belief, ie adultery, family values etc, that leads to a situation of having not much room to manouver when it comes to making common sense decisions, ie keeping Terry as captain. The bottom line is, Terry commited adultery...END OF, whereas Bridge concocted something in his head that said nobody was allowed to bed any of his ex girlfriends. In addition I think he was morally weak and unproffesional to stand down from the England team. Last but not least I dont think I was mistaken to see Terry offer his hand at yesterdays match. Terry let himself and his family down, Bridge has let the England team and every supporter down. So I'm asking which is the greater moral sin?

Comments

• Options
    Terry is a wanker. End of.
  • Options
    I told my colleague's wife that he was living in her second home with his pregnant girlfriend. I told her because I heard he was trying to get back with her. Was I wrong?
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    Terry's by a country mile. No one did anything to force Terry into making the decisions that he made. Bridge on the other hand was forced into making his decisions by the Action of Terry and other(s). Terry didn't offer his hand before yesterday..... why not ? and Bridge concocted something in his head ? what, that maybe Terry was shagging his ex-girlfriend whilst his son was in the house............ nice ! and you say that Bridge is morally weak LOL
  • Options
    This is the best thread I have read for ages!
  • Options
    Something going on between them 2 then ?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really can't get my head around the idea that whatever decision Bridge has made shows him to be weak. It could equally be argued that he is being courageous for making a principled decision whist ultimately he is the one that stands to suffer. Yet here is Terry who seems to have more gonads than brain cells who will still get the opportunity to go to South Africa and maybe, yes maybe, lift the world cup.

As for letting every supporter down, if anyone genuinely thinks that they really need to look at the whole situation. Terry has let everyone down by putting Bridge in a position where he feels he can no longer be part of the same team.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can you imagine the atmosphere in England's South African hotel if they were both there, locked in with the rest of the 'lads'. I gather players' humour is pretty basic and often 'friendly insult ' based: those two would have to be in compounds of their own. Perhaps Bridge can see the problems should he go and as for Terry, he'll be smuggling WAGS in via the laundry van! Although there are many moral aspects here the only actual religious ones are Terry's wedding vows: they're not doing too well in all this!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    (quote) that maybe Terry was shagging his ex-girlfriend whilst his son was in the house............ nice ! and you say that Bridge is morally weak LOL(quote)

No.1 in south London...Are you suggesting that single women with children can no longer have sex...or are you saying the boy was probably in the same room? Guess that makes me a bit of a freak in knowing that my ex wife and my ex friend used to sleep together every night with my son in the next room and I never done anything about it...like sulk and act like a child!

As for myself, I'm not really bothered what England team go to SA...'cos if we go up I'll probably be permenently pissed all summer.
  • Options
    Who's the charlton manager with strong relegious belief? Id be interested to see this thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terry let himself and his family down, Bridge has let the England team and every supporter down. So I'm asking which is the greater moral sin?

Parking in a disabled bay. Deliberately
  • Options
    Got to agree Stig.
  • Options
    Bet this turns into a "Can Rio step up to the plate" thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]I told my colleague's wife that he was living in her second home with his pregnant girlfriend. I told her because I heard he was trying to get back with her. Was I wrong?[/quote]

I also told a friends wife that her husband was playing away, but I never got into her underwear! I tried my best dammit!
  • Options
    another john terry.
  • Options
    My last line should have been...should you let personal beliefs interfere with your judgement of others, because after spending an hour on the net looking at various articles I now think they are both a pair of tossers.
  • Options
    people make mistakes, i only care about the fact they both better be good when it comes to SA 2010. Thats on the pitch not off it :-). Dont care what they do in their private lives up to them init.
  • Options
    It seems that Terry was the instigator of the other chelsea team mates having a go on the ex pertner of Bridge reather than just getting involved himself. So it's more about humiliation than anything. Let Bridge make his own call. He's done two world cups. I've met a couple of footballers thru work and they are often unenthusaistic about tournaments. Some have criticised Capello for not publically doing more to get Bridge to go but what if he did and still didn't get a kick?
  • Options
    Is there anything to suggest Capello is religious? Morality and religion are different things. And maybe he was just being pragmatic.

More important - why can't a man Terry's means shell out for a proper haircut?
  • Options
    (quote) More important - why can't a man with Terry's means shell out for a proper haircut? (quote)

leaburn4england, I was thinking of making this my next post...well done for having the moral strength to point out something that the rest of us were thinking but didnt have the balls to start a thread about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite](quote) that maybe Terry was shagging his ex-girlfriend whilst his son was in the house............ nice ! and you say that Bridge is morally weak LOL(quote)

No.1 in south London...Are you suggesting that single women with children can no longer have sex...or are you saying the boy was probably in the same room? Guess that makes me a bit of a freak in knowing that my ex wife and my ex friend used to sleep together every night with my son in the next room and I never done anything about it...like sulk and act like a child!

As for myself, I'm not really bothered what England team go to SA...'cos if we go up I'll probably be permenently pissed all summer.

Oh, she was single....................... that's ok then for a married man to go around during the day, whilst she is supposedly looking after Bridges kid to satisfy his daily craving for adultery. Time and a place ........... your original point was on moral code, that includes morals around when and where you should be sorting out your mistress I presume ? The point isn't so much about what the child might hear/see but is certainly about what is seen as being decent.
  • Options
    LONDON - Wayne Bridge has quit the England squad ahead of the 2010 World Cup for his son’s sake, it has been revealed.

The Manchester City star has apparently told friends that he would not be able to face his three- year-old Jaydon when he grows if he ever lined up in the same side as John Terry, reports News of the World.

Bridge refused to shake hands with Terry when the pair lined up against each other at Chelsea.

This follows the revelation of Terry’s affair with Vanessa Perroncel, Bridge’s ex-girlfriend and Jaydon’s mum.

Bridge told a pal: “I’ve had to make this decision for Jaydon’s sake. In ten years’ time, how could I look him the eye and say, ‘Yes, that man tried to ruin our lives… but I still played in the same team as him’?

“I would rather be remembered as a good dad than somebody who played in the World Cup.”

“People expect me to be able to shrug this off but it’s not just about me. It’s about Jaydon and what I can tell him when he’s old enough to understand,” he added. (ANI)
  • Options
    He's so keen on being a good dad......

why did he name him Jaydon?
  • Options
    Another load of garbage about I couldnt face my son Blah Blah Blah. Kids usually handle parent probs better than the parents...its the parents and new partners going to war that causes casualties. Personaly I'd be pretty peed off if I was in my thirties and my father said he missed out on winning the world cup to protect my feelings.
  • Options
    w
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]I told my colleague's wife that he was living in her second home with his pregnant girlfriend. I told her because I heard he was trying to get back with her. Was I wrong?

I also told a friends wife that her husband was playing away, but I never got into her underwear! I tried my best dammit!

I got sacked. Ended my career.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite](quote) More important - why can't a man with Terry's means shell out for a proper haircut? (quote)

leaburn4england, I was thinking of making this my next post...well done for having the moral strength to point out something that the rest of us were thinking but didnt have the balls to start a thread about it.

I dont think that haircut is intentional ....It looks likes his old woman has hacked at it while he was sleeping... Pre warning to losing his b***ocks me thinks
  • Options
    I had to laugh yesterday when I saw Terry's head. He's known for having strange haircuts, but yesterday takes the biscuit. Plum!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]I had to laugh yesterday when I saw Terry's head. He's known for having strange haircuts, but yesterday takes the biscuit. Plum!

Spot on...Plum
  • Options
    Can someone please explain to me what this thread is saying?

I don't think Capello dropped Terry as captain because Capello is a religious man or anything like it. He's said Terry was dropped because the England captain should be an example to kids and fans and so on. To me, that's a lame excuse for dropping your captain, so I'm inclined to believe that could well be the reason behind the decision. It could also be a cover for the better reason to drop Terry (in my opinion), which is that Terry slept with his teammate's former long-term girlfriend now recently ex very shortly after he moves north and the resulting pressure of that. How can a man be a leader of a football team when he's broken one of the clearest [unwritten] rules not only of football teams, but also of male friendship?

Terry is a prat, and I'm being nice to him in saying that. End of. Terrible human being.

Where exactly has Bridge broken the moral code? He decided he didn't think it would be a good idea (for himself and his son, probably, but also for the team) if he went to the World Cup. He said there were issues that would always haunt the team if he did go. So, at least in his own opinion if nothing else, by pulling out of the England squad, he is helping England's chances of success.

It's very easy to offer a handshake when you are the one causing the harm. If I beat you up and then say that I'm sorry about it, I think most people here would agree that you don't necessarily have to forgive me, and definitely not while it's still raw. Terry offered his hand, of course he did, how could he not? Bridge decided he wasn't going to let Terry 'win', and that's Bridge's decision to make. You wouldn't forgive me immediately for beating you up, so why should Bridge be any different.

I can understand the people who say that Terry shouldn't be punished because adultery isn't a big deal. I don't understand the people who turn on Bridge as if it's Bridge's fault that Terry can't keep it in his pants.