Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any cyclists on here?..

Comments

• Options
    Have any of you took advantage of your works Cycle to Work (C2W) scheme?
  • Options
    I have John Boy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Have any of you took advantage of your works Cycle to Work (C2W) scheme?

Yeah, i bought a road bike through this scheme. Got a £949 bike for nearly half price!

fantastic scheme.
  • Options
    I recently travelled on a bus (something I do very rarely nowadays) from Clapham Junction to Knightsbridge. I sat in the front seat upstairs....if I had a pound note for every cyclist I saw breaking the law on that 25 minute journey I could have eaten out for a week!
    I wont bore you with all the things I saw them doing but no doubt you've all seen 'em.
    Truly INCREDIBLE....complete and utter anarchy!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I recently travelled on a bus (something I do very rarely nowadays) from Clapham Junction to Knightsbridge. I sat in the front seat upstairs....if I had a pound note for every cyclist I saw breaking the law on that 25 minute journey I could have eaten out for a week!
    I wont bore you with all the things I saw them doing but no doubt you've all seen 'em.
    And what about the motorists?
  • Options
    I feel exactly the same every morning when I cycle except its motorists - the other day I saw a guy nearly plough into a young family on a crossing cos he wasn't concentrating.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    When I first read up on the C2W we use here, I was a bit sceptical. It all just seemed to good to be true.
    We've got a dedicated C2W officer in our HR department now and when I went to talk it through with him, he was a great help and put my mind at rest. Like SE10Addick, I've just got myself a Specialized Rockhopper Pro mountain bike...and it works out that I'll pay around £500 over the space of 12 months rather than the £1000 RRP.

All you need to do is ride your bike to work for a minimum 50% of your journeys and that includes from home to your local railway station. The best thing is that its not auditable and you dont have to keep a record of your jouneys. So you can keep it safe in your garage and just say you've met the minimum requirements ;-)

I've cycled from Bexleyheath to Mile End and back twice in the last week (14 miles in each direction via the less busy back roads and the Greenwich foot tunnel) and have found it much easier than I originally expected. I've done the journey door to door in 1hr 20mins and to do the same journey by train/tube/walking it takes 1hr 15min. At this rate, I might even consider giving up my gold card as save myself £2k a year.
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I recently travelled on a bus (something I do very rarely nowadays) from Clapham Junction to Knightsbridge. I sat in the front seat upstairs....if I had a pound note for every cyclist I saw breaking the law on that 25 minute journey I could have eaten out for a week!

It really doesnt surprise me. There are some truly awful cyclists out there. I have passed my cycling proficiency test twice you know ;-) But there are just as many bad car, van and lorry drivers out there too!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]

Mate....one can never say motorists don't do anything wrong, of course they do....but the percentage of cyclists who 'constantly' break the law is truly incredible and doesn't even approach the lawlessness of motorists....if motorists uped their level of law breaking to the level of recklessness that I saw that morning then there would be death on the roads at a level one could only dream of.
  • Options
    Our G.O.T.W.I.D.A.B.H.C group agree with SoundAs
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

--
    Get- Out- The- Way- I- Drive- A- Big- Heavy- Car
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]

Mate....one can never say motorists don't do anything wrong....but the percentage of cyclists who 'constantly' break the law is truly incredible and doesn't even approach the staggering lawlessness of many cyclists....if motorists uped their level of law breaking to the level of recklessness that I saw that morning then there would be death on the roads at a level one could only dream of.
    I'm not sticking up for either "side" as I fall into both camps and am without doubt guilty of breaking the law on both forms of transport, but your posts seem to suggest that a greater percentage of cyclists break the law than motorists which I feel is not true. How many cars do you see on the road that actually stick to the speed limit? In my opinion very few and that is probably the most likely law broken by motorists.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mate....one can never say motorists don't do anything wrong....but the percentage of cyclists who 'constantly' break the law is truly incredible and doesn't even approach the staggering lawlessness of many cyclists....if motorists uped their level of law breaking to the level of recklessness that I saw that morning then there would be death on the roads at a level one could only dream of.
    I'm not sticking up for either "side" as I fall into both camps and am without doubt guilty of breaking the law on both forms of transport, but your posts seem to suggest that a greater percentage of cyclists break the law than motorists which I feel is not true. How many cars do you see on the road that actually stick to the speed limit? In my opinion very few and that is probably the most likely law broken by motorists.

In fairness, i would break the speed limit more on my bike, but i rarely get it up to 30mph cycling in london!!

Most of the muppet cyclist are the "I pretend i'm a cycle courrier when really i work in admin" fixed gear wannabe's.
  • Options
    Serious piece of advice here - Do NOT get involved with a Cycle To Work Scheme. You are not buying a bike you are hiring a bike for £100's to which you have no automatic right to own

A proper explanation of the scheme...
  • Options
    Just don't cycle on the road, all you do is get in the way, are not insured, dont pay road tax and are a liability. BTW I dont buy into the 'it helps the environment' arguement. You hardly see a cyclists in the winter!!! Ride pushbikes in a field not on the road!!

Rant over
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Just don't cycle on the road, all you do is get in the way, are not insured, dont pay road tax and are a liability. BTW I dont buy into the 'it helps the environment' arguement. You hardly see a cyclists in the winter!!! Ride pushbikes in a field not on the road!!

Rant over

Pedestrians shouldn't be allowed to cross the road either. They only get in the way of irate motorists, contribute nothing and are an absolute hazard.

There should be a law against them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Serious piece of advice here - Do NOT get involved with a Cycle To Work Scheme. You are not buying a bike you are hiring a bike for £100's to which you have no automatic right to own

[url=http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/sustainable/cycling/cycletoworkschemeimplementat5732?page=1#a1014]A proper explanation of the scheme...

It's in my hire agreement that at the end of the 12 month rental, I pay a nominal fee of around 5% of the depreciated value of the bike to transfer it into my name and ownership. All our staff have been told it will be an absolute maximum of £40.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Serious piece of advice here - Do NOT get involved with a Cycle To Work Scheme.You are not buying a bike you arehiringa bike for £100's to which you have no automatic right to own

[url=http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/sustainable/cycling/cycletoworkschemeimplementat5732?page=1#a1014]A proper explanation of the scheme...

It's in my hire agreement that at the end of the 12 month rental, I pay a nominal fee of around 5% of the depreciated value of the bike to transfer it into my name and ownership. All our staff have been told it will be an absolute maximum of £40.

Same with mine, sounds like we might work for the same people John Boy
  • Options
    It's just sour grapes. You'd jump the lights if you could. Besides some have sensors that simply do not detect bikes.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]Serious piece of advice here - Do NOT get involved with a Cycle To Work Scheme.You are not buying a bike you arehiringa bike for £100's to which you have no automatic right to own

Then they are breaking the law in terms of Consumer Protection Reg's, credit advertising and the credit agreement reg's and should the tax man find out, which they will in 12 months time, you will find yourselves 1. having the facility to 'buy' the bike at the end withdrawn from the scheme due to it being "an error" on part of your employer or 2. having to be taxed on it as a benefit in kind in which case you'll lose the saving you've gained through the salary sacrifice scheme or 3. having to pay a fair market value on it as a second hand bike (which is the way it's supposed to work).

Coincidentally, I don't know or want to know who you work for (and for christ sake don't tell me), but in 12 months time someone there might realise that they've suddenly entered the business of selling secondhand bikes and equipment, with all that that brings in terms of consumer safety, product liability, etc, - they may well pull that part of the scheme rather than sort it out and you'll be left trying to enforce a contract that is unregulated by the CCAct because they've sold it to you as something it's not. That's assuming nobody makes an issue of it in the meantime of course, say for instance someone who's been laid off or aggrieved when they find out they won't be getting the bike as cheap as they thought.

Trust me on this, you might get lucky but I'd budget for paying a lot more than £40 for it.
  • Options
    8) Can the employee keep the cycle at the end of the loan period?

There should be no automatic entitlement for the employee to take ownership of the cycle and cyclists' safety equipment at the end of the loan period. If the loan agreement (technically a hire agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA)) allows for ownership of the cycle and cyclists' safety equipment to pass to the employee upon the exercise of an option, the doing of any other specified act by either party to the agreement, or the happening of any other specified event, the resulting agreement is likely to be hire purchase in which case the tax exemption available for a loaned cycle may not be available.

However, at the end of the loan period, the employer may choose to give the employee the option to purchase the equipment. Typically this would be offered at substantially less than the original value of the equipment, but to prevent a taxable benefit in kind arising as a result of the transfer of ownership the employee must pay the employer the fair market value of the equipment. No tax relief is available to the employee for the purchase so, where the price is recovered from salary, it must be deducted from their net salary. VAT will also be payable on the purchase price by the employee on the supply by the leasing company or the employer as owner of the equipment.

Alternatively, the employer may wish to allow their employees to continue to use the cycles and cyclists' safety equipment you have supplied after the initial loan period has ended, without transferring ownership. As long as the employee continues to meet the conditions of the tax exemption (see section 4 above) no tax charge will arise.

For fuller guidance on transfer of ownership, you may wish to refer to the HMRC website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]We've got a dedicated C2W officer in our HR department now

There it is, the reason our country is in the state its in now, people losing jobs left right and centre, 14000 applicants for 140 jobs at primark! and there is a person in 'HR' thats dedicated to making minges 'ride' to work!! ;-)

Bashes head on table!! Oh my bejesus!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As mentioned above with the cycle to work scheme you just agree to buy the back at the end of the scheme for a fixed fee. Some companies are too rubbish to even pursue this, some companies forget, though with the length of time the scheme has been available more companies are aware that a fee must be charged at the end of the 'loan' agreement.

As for car drivers, well... I don't know any adult cyclist who doesn't pay road tax. Frankly the quality of driving is outstandingly useless. Yes probably in the city there are a lot more people breaking the law whilst riding. Same goes for the truly appalling level of driving awareness. People have no road awareness and it's more self evident in a big UK or US city. Too many fat idiots incapable of thinking about what others are doing and claiming the self-righteous I'm in the right bullshit. Car or bike someone does it in front of you deal with it. If you're in a car just think about how long it takes to lift your fat useless gout toe and the ten seconds your losing by thinking about someone else..... but no you cant be clarksoned whilst why don't people show any respect anymore down my road?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]As mentioned above with the cycle to work scheme you just agree to buy the back at the end of the scheme for a fixed fee. Some companies are too rubbish to even pursue this, some companies forget, though with the length of time the scheme has been available more companies are aware that a fee must be charged at the end of the 'loan' agreement.

As for car drivers, well... I don't know any adult cyclist who doesn't pay road tax. Frankly the quality of driving is outstandingly useless. Yes probably in the city there are a lot more people breaking the law whilst riding. Same goes for the truly appalling level of driving awareness. People have no road awareness and it's more self evident in a big UK or US city. Too many fat idiots incapable of thinking about what others are doing and claiming the self-righteous I'm in the right bullshit. Car or bike someone does it in front of you deal with it. If you're in a car just think about how long it takes to lift your fat useless gout toe and the ten seconds your losing by thinking about someone else..... but no you cant be clarksoned whilst why don't people show any respect anymore down my road?

I have been literally all over the world and the standard of driving in this country is way and above anything I have seen elasewhere....with the exception of one or two Scandinavian countries that is....many of you(particularly self righteous we can do no wrong cyclists) might find this hard to believe......... but it's true.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ...and as mentioned above your employer cannot present the scheme as anything other than a regulated HIRE agreement nb not HIRE PURCHASE which is what you're talking about. Take my (considered, professional) advice or leave it, it makes no difference to me outside of working hours...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]As mentioned above with the cycle to work scheme you just agree to buy the back at the end of the scheme for a fixed fee. Some companies are too rubbish to even pursue this, some companies forget, though with the length of time the scheme has been available more companies are aware that a fee must be charged at the end of the 'loan' agreement.

I have been literally all over the world and the standard of driving in this country is way and above anything I have seen elasewhere....with the exception of one or two Scandinavian countries that is....many of you(particularly self righteous we can do no wrong cyclists) might find this hard to believe......... but it's true.

LOL - Now that I have been out of the country for a number of years I can tell you that the minute I get off the plane and head off down the M25 I'm definitely thinking "wow, what a great standard of driving it is here".
  • Options
    Soundas nice anecdote. I've been to quite a few countries and some of the worst driving countries in developed countries such as NZ are way ahead of this country in respect and awareness towards people outside of cars: Inside cars and to other cars well I've never seen such awful driving; not lunatic like the Indian subcontinent. In this country there is a complete lack of awareness of anything not on four wheels. Never used to be the case in my old man's generation, people rode bikes and motorcycles from an early age for a long time all through adulthood and as a consequence had a much better awareness of others. Many cyclists are at fault but they don't make lethal decisions every second. Sure most of it's my own perspective but it's true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]We've got a dedicated C2W officer in our HR department now

There it is, the reason our country is in the state its in now, people losing jobs left right and centre, 14000 applicants for 140 jobs at primark! and there is a person in 'HR' thats dedicated to making minges 'ride' to work!! ;-)

LMFAO
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]

Let me just make clear that the dedicated officer is a HR worker who has got "any other ad-hoc duties where necessary" in his job description which covers it. It isnt actuallly his main role in the organisation.

And breathe easy... lol. Sorry, should have made that clear.
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]...and as mentioned above your employer cannot present the scheme as anything other than a regulated HIRE agreement nb not HIRE PURCHASE which is what you're talking about. Take my (considered, professional) advice or leave it, it makes no difference to me outside of working hours...

Think I'm going into HR with some more questions tomorrow. Yet another can of worms.
  • Options
    With ColinTat 100%. There are some idiot cyclists out there, but for absolutely every idiot who jumps a red, there are dozens of idiot pedestrians who cross at a red light on a crossing with their poxy ipod in so as to render them deaf or blackberrying so as to render them blind and stupid. Stupidly dangerous.

I do Bickley to Moorgate (12.2m) every day (Plaistow green, Burnt Ash Hill, Lewisham Station, Deptford Bridge, then the Lower Road, Evelyn, Jamaica up to London Bridge), and would never go back to the train. I leave the 3.0 v6 road taxed outside the house.

Motorists who cut you up, swear at you for occupying the exact space in teh road that you should on a bike, then bomb off and do 35 through a 20 are, I would suggest, rather more prevalent than truly dangerous cyclists, and far more lethal.

But then I've got 6 points on my licence. Hypocrite!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]

Then they are breaking the law in terms of Consumer Protection Reg's, credit advertising and the credit agreement reg's and should the tax man find out, which they will in 12 months time, you will find yourselves 1. having the facility to 'buy' the bike at the end withdrawn from the scheme due to it being "an error" on part of your employer or 2. having to be taxed on it as a benefit in kind in which case you'll lose the saving you've gained through the salary sacrifice scheme or 3. having to pay a fair market value on it as a second hand bike (which is the way it's supposed to work).

Coincidentally, I don't know or want to know who you work for (and for christ sake don't tell me), but in 12 months time someone there might realise that they've suddenly entered the business of selling secondhand bikes and equipment, with all that that brings in terms of consumer safety, product liability, etc, - they may well pull that part of the scheme rather than sort it out and you'll be left trying to enforce a contract that is unregulated by the CCAct because they've sold it to you as something it's not. That's assuming nobody makes an issue of it in the meantime of course, say for instance someone who's been laid off or aggrieved when they find out they won't be getting the bike as cheap as they thought.

Trust me on this, you might get lucky but I'd budget for paying a lot more than £40 for it.

Surely the second part in that link explains it?
    "However, at the end of the loan period, the employer may choose to give the employee the option to purchase the equipment. Typically this would be offered at substantially less than the original value of the equipment, but to prevent a taxable benefit in kind arising as a result of the transfer of ownership the employee must pay the employer the fair market value of the equipment."
    My employer says I have the option to purchase the bike at a fair value a the end of the hire period which is usually x% of the original price it was bought for, surely by wording it in that way it isn't hire purchase as I'm under no obligation to actually buy it, or am I missing the point as usual?
  • Options
    I conquered Shooters hill this morning - the Kent side, not sure I'm brave enough to attempt the London 'face' tonight.