Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Happy Diwali!

Seems mindless to have had a full fixture list tonight when the second biggest religious festival in the world (after Christmas and way bigger than Ramadam or Eid) is going on. Four different religions - Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Jainist - celebrate the festival, just got back from a boozy dopey chocolatey party at some Indian friends place, hic. No wonder so few people from the Indian sub-continent turn up at football if the season ignores... no wait I take it back, there's games on Easter Sunday, Boxing Day etc too. The only day still free from football is Christmas Day. For how much longer? Personally I'd love the chance to get away from my family and get down the Valley after Xmas lunch. Anyone else?

Comments

• Maybe you would - but players, coaches, referees, et cetera also have families that they would like to spend the day with. This was why professional football on Christmas Day was stopped in the late 1950's. The same goes for bus, coach and train drivers of which I would need at least one of each to get me to The Valley and back. Day return travel to the home game on Boxing Day is going to prove difficult enough as it is.
  • because when football fixtures and the tradition of of it was first brought in there were so indian or diwali people of veryvery few - why should it be changed for one set of people. you;ll be moaning about yom kippur (spelling) as well next.

It's one game of football i'm sure indian people will get over it they can attend the other 41.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]Maybe you would - but players, coaches, referees, et cetera also have families that they would like to spend the day with. This was why professional football on Christmas Day was stopped in the late 1950's. The same goes for bus, coach and train drivers of which I would need at least one of each to get me to The Valley and back. Day return travel to the home game on Boxing Day is going to prove difficult enough as it is.

I think that once upon a time, the working man would literally have just Xmas day and boxing day off. And as footballers at the time realised they were just entertainers, and not demi-gods there to be worshiped, they needed to work when people wanted to be entertained - i.e. on those days off.

Once the days of the fixed summer holiday came to an end, and people were granted more time off, they could to choose to holiday whenever they wanted to, so Xmas day became less important as a unique one off in winter.

That' s my theory anyway...
  • We shouldnt play at 3pm on Good Friday but we do now, sadly.
  • We used to kick off at 11am Good Friday, Curb it.