Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your favourite book...

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
..of all time.....

"Lord of the Flies " for me...

Sorry Admin if this has been done..

Comments

• Lord Of The Rings - all three books in one.
  • Honestly can't decide between..

American Psycho.
    Catcher in the Rye.
    Shantaram.
  • American Psycho- Good but why chapters on Huey Lewis and The News?..
  • [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]American Psycho- Good but why chapters on Huey Lewis and The News?..

Yeah, he loses me a bit there but I still love the book, I've read it 4 times!
    Which is probably a bit worrying considering the content.
  • Only tend to read biographys or non fiction, best one I ever read was Ricky Tomlinson.
  • How can you just choose 1!

Lord of the Rings
    The Hobbit
    Silence of the Lambs
    Pyramids, Terry Pratchett (actually anything he has ever written)
    The Shining
    Waylander, David Gemell (also anything he has ever written)
    Dune

Lord of the Flies was also a great choice
  • As I said in the other thread, haven't even finished it but it's definitely The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck). Although I'm still young and have a lot to read.

Second is Alan Curbishley's autobiography. A revealing look into Charlton's most important manager of all-time. And also a thrilling read. My favourite line:

"and then we went to Bury and lost 2 - 1, which we were disappointed with."
  • I'd say Jimmy Seed was Charlton's most important manager but what do I know?...
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Only tend to read biographys or non fiction, best one I ever read was Ricky Tomlinson.
    was an enjoyable read. As for favourite book, it is a toughy.

When a kid it would have been a 50's space book I had called 'stand by for mars' loved it and managed to get an old copy of ebay a few months back.

when in my college years it was probably 'trainspotting'

since then I have re-read to kill a mockingbird which is still fantastic, but if i had to choose it would be Don Quixote. A great read, first read it on holiday about 8 years and have read it a couple more times since.
  • DA9DA9
    edited September 2008
    He's got some background old Ricky, from one extreme to another.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mein Kamf , was 4 chapters in before i remembered i dont read German. So skipped to las chapter turns out Hitler did it !
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Mein Kamf , was 4 chapters in before i remembered i dont read German. So skipped to las chapter turns out Hitler did it !

PMSL....tears in eyes.

I read the bible once, spoiler..................................he dies in the end.
  • edited September 2008
    but he comes back though. although by this point in the book it has gone all 'hollywood blockbuster' and the shit has really hit the fan with people dying left right and centre, the he appears (probably in a bruce willis style vest) to save the day. although i wouldn't trust anything written by greavsie's scottish pal, he's a dodgy wee fellow if you ask me.
  • Have to give 5, can't decide as it depends on which mood I'm in:

The Drifters - James Michener
    Ringolevio - Emmett Grogan
    Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
    Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
    Henry V - Shakespeare
  • cant read

Just look at the pictures :-(
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Mein Kamf , was 4 chapters in before i remembered i dont read German. So skipped to las chapter turns out Hitler did it !

PMSL....tears in eyes.

I read the bible once, spoiler..................................he dies in the end.

but he comes back though. although by this point in the book it has gone all 'hollywood blockbuster' and the shit has really hit the fan with people dying left right and centre, the he appears (probably in a bruce willis style vest) to save the day. although i wouldn't trust anything written by greavsie's scottish pal, he's a dodgy wee fellow if you ask me.

Who, Ricky or Jesus?
  • both probably, ricky could be jesus' fat sidekick.

he could be called "the revelation kid"
  • The Beach first, Lord of the Rings second.
  • edited September 2008
    Catcher In The Rye
    His Dark Materials
    Atonement
    Crime and Punishment
  • The Grapes of Wrath is probably the book I've liked the most. If you've seen the film, it is quite similar to the book although the ending is different but not out of character. Tom Joad must be one of the greatest literary characters ever invented (along with god that is). Alongside that there is the Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammet and sam Spade, he is under suspicion for the death of his partner a mythical jewel encrusted falcon is being tracked down in San Francisco, people are getting murdered, the perfect satire on greed.

Also, On the Waterfront - written by Budd Schulberg, the novel turned into a film starring Marlon Brandon as Terry Malloy, the film has a different ending from the book though which has a darker less heroic tone to it.

I also like the Emile Zola series of novels based around the Second Empire in France - which ended in the 1870s. Germinal, La Debacle, Nana, L'Assomoir are in particular worth reading.
  • Sponsored links:

• Far, far too hard to choose one. Favourites are:

Lord of the rings (tolkein)
    The roaches have no king (Daniel evan weiss)
    Iced (Ray shell)
    Marabou stork nightmares (Irvine welsh)
    Anonymous Rex (Eric garcia)
    The concrete blonde (Michael connelly)
    Native tongue (Carl hiaasen)
    East is East (T. Corraghessan Boyle)
    Excession (Iain M Banks)
    Grey area (Will Self)
    Fear and loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S Thompson)
    Pimp (iceberg slim)
    Dixie city jam (James lee Burke)
    Autobiography of a brown buffalo (Oscar zeta acosta)
    Catch 22 (Joseph heller)
    Lullaby town (Robert crais)

But my all time favourite book is 'buffalo soldiers' by Robert O'Connor - absolutely brilliant book. Read it more than ten times now.
  • Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
    Spike Milligan - Puckoon
    Leon Trotsky - My Life
    Philip Roth - Portnoy's Complaint
    Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Anything by Clive King
  • Saturday night Sunday morning - a classic
    all Tolkien but what about 1984 and Animal Farm by Orwell
    and then there's A Burnt Out case and many other Graeme Greene
    closer to home Buddha of Surburbia
    and finally thank you Leroy for reminding me about Fear and Loathing - read it a long time ago and went to LA 2 years back - scary !
  • Some favourites:

Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton
    1984, Animal Farm, Keep The Aspidistra Flying, Down & Out in Paris & London (all Orwell)
    On The Road by Jack Kerouac
    The Ginger Man by JP Donleavy

Still got Left Foot Foward on my bookcase by a certain ex CAFC striker/ picture framer! Haven't read it in years, maybe I will again soon!!
  • Hitler - My part in his downfall - Spike Milligan, bloody hilarious, did you know Milligan did his army medical in what was then the Yorkshire Grey pub, now McDonalds in Eltham.

Tame film version with Jim Dale from the carry on films.
  • Great series of books..." Mussuloni (sp), my part in his downfall" being my favourite..
  • Fiction - The Sword of Honour Trilogy by Evelyn Waugh. Bitter, sad, funny and exciting all in one. Even better than Decline and Fall and Brideshead Revisited

Non-fiction - In Search of England by Michael Wood - Best book on the roots and meaning of England and "Englishness"

Both books I go back to again and again.

Honourable mention for Shoeless Joe Jackson comes to Iowa by Ray Kinsella. The book that Field of Dreams was based on but much better than what was a very good film.
  • Great Expectations by the incomparable Charles Dickens
  • Lord of the Rings closely followed by Dune
  • One of my favourites was recommended to me by Mr Irving. My American Century by Studs Turkel. A brilliant observation into the lives of ordinary (and some not so ordinary) 20th Century Americans.