Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clubs banning newspapers

Don't know if you've heard about this - Hartlepool got miffed with their local papers and banned them from their ground, Paul Scally-style. The Northern Echo's response was to do a cartoon strip as their match report...

Anyway, here's a nice take on the whole issue complete with Scally anecdotes.

Didn't Charlton once ban the Mercury when the Airman was its Charlton man, back in the days when the Mercury mattered?

Comments

• Options
    yes, though can't remember if it was through a spat with ROger Alwyen or Mike Norris.

Would love to hear Airman's side of how it come about.
  • Options
    Is it not "clubs banning newspapers"?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Is it not "clubs banning newspapers"?

Erm.... heh, I'm worse shape than I thought this morning.
  • Options
    Did you keep drinking one we got back last night?
  • Options
    Have any other papers other than the Merc ever been banned from Charlton ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Have any other papers other than the Merc ever been banned from Charlton ?

Soft bog paper is clearly banned....
  • Options
    I think I was banned three times in all.

To be fair, it was an odd situation because reporters are supposed to be objective and I only got into the role in the first place because I was a supporter and wanted to see better coverage of CAFC, so some issues arose because people at the club weren't quite sure whether they were dealing with a supporters' club official or the local press. I can think of at least one occasion when I was at fault in that, but it was naivety more than anything else.

However, one ban related to headline in the paper that I hadn't written - that went on for a while and Mike Norris was behind it.

Another came about because they took exception to somehing I wrote about club shop manager Chris Tugwell - who they later sacked, although the club didn't bother to comply with employment law so lost the case at tribunal. That ban was down to Roger Alwen.

I'm struggling to remember the background to the third one, but I remember it was Mike Norris and he backed off sharpish when he realised the paper wouldn't be pushed around.
  • Options
    I bumped into Chris Tugwell, he's a Station Manager for London Underground at Canary wharf
  • Options
    Top surname
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I bumped into Chris Tugwell, he's a Station Manager for London Underground at Canary wharf

And I met him on the night of the play-off final, when he was inspecting tickets on the North Kent line and was greeted with a rousing drunken chorus of "Club shop, we've got a decent club shop".

Understandably he cowered in the doorway, which was a shame from his point of view because none of us had any tickets - so he could have had the last laugh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Top surname

LOL
  • Options
    And I met him on the night of the play-off final, when he was inspecting tickets on the North Kent line and was greeted with a rousing drunken chorus of "Club shop, we've got a decent club shop".

I saw him on a train at Charing Cross that evening too - I however had a ticket.
  • Options
    We probably would have too, but it was closing time, the ticket office at Blackheath was shut and we were too drunk to operate a machine . . .
  • Options
    Airman too drunk ?
    Why was this ? ;-)