Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brace yourselves for the obvious on Reid

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
I can see it now, Reidy will go for £4m and we will come out and say it was too late to replace him when what they really mean is £4m off the recently announced £9m loss will do very nice thankyou!

Comments

• surely the board wouldnt do that would they reamsofverse ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]I can see it now, Reidy will go for £4m and we will come out and say it was too late to replace him when what they really mean is £4m off the recently announced £9m loss will do very nice thankyou!

Does this mean we'll be in this hell hole of a league again next season?

deepus joyuus!
  • Cynic.

If, and I mean if we let him go, a replacement would have been lined up already. The world and his mother has known that Reidy is our most saleable asset and the talk of Keane wanting him since about November means tht Pardew/Murray will have kept their options open.
  • We are where we are....

We cant ignore a £9m loss.
  • yeah going well in the prem murphy suddengly sold last min when we could of got davis and mendes in stratight swap they talk the cash of course.
  • I really really really would love to envisage the said "replacement" is all raring to go but given previous deadline day dealings I am not expecting anything whatsoever. As above, I'm terrified the board will use Reidy's will to play at a higher level to their advantage and just get some more pounds in the bank and balance the books.
  • who can replace him for that money?
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]get some more pounds in the bank and balance the books.

I would expect a responsible boards task would be to balance the books.
  • look at the wider picture though peanutman, I love Murray and Varney and the board for what they have done to the club but it's times like this when you look around you at others and fear that naivity could be creeping in as regards the business of 21st century football
  • if pards has kris commons or joe ledley lined up then fair enough, otherwise he has to stay
  • Sponsored links:

• Barry Robson a possible (purely hypothetical of course)... will cost a million but he's been touted around enough
  • ISLS

Its simply my view that what makes me so proud to be a charlton fan is how we have met adversity and dealt with it. I think we have gained a good reputation as a club over the years and part of that is down to prudence and hard work. I dont much care for these fancy dans who come in with big wads of cash from the USA or wherever. So I would rather we eradicated the blot that was Dowie and part of that to me is getting the finances on a stable footing.
  • Sunderland are paying top money for the bloke, if the player wants the move, then so be it, let him go.
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Its simply my view that what makes me so proud to be a charlton fan is how we have met adversity and dealt with it.

quote of the night for me, good man peanut, that should be stuck up and framed of why we are all here the way we are

p.s. don't worry i wasn't going up the NFL billionaire route, just somewhat cautious of the sense of being left behind
  • I'm in rothko's camp if the geezer wants to go let him go. and if it is too late to get a replacement then so be it. i am not going to get all hissy fit like the Parker debacle - this club is bigger than any player.
  • He is good, not great, he has perfomed well this year, he has not been the heartbeat of the team, the team have got better since he was injured, we should draw our own conclusions.
  • We've been doing fine without him, so £4m for a guy that has been injured most of his career is good business by Charlton. Like with Darren Bent, when a Premiership club has come knocking for one of the players our Board has refused to be bullied and held out for the top price and got it. Fair play to them I say, we were always going to lose someone in the transfer window and we look like losing an injury prone player for a very good fee - thats excellent business in 21st century football in my opinion.

It's also worth pointing out that Reid has only scored 2 goals in open play this season compared to Ambrose's 5 and Sam's 3, and his free-kicks have yet to trouble a goalkeeper. Also, our record without Reid this season is W2 D6 L1 - 2 of those draws were to WBA in the Cup, 1 was away to Watford and 2 more in games played with 10 men.

So I think we can take the money and still be okay - or even better have somebody already line-up like Tonge at Sheff Utd who can come in and make us a better team (and be available for selection every week).
  • [cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]He is good, not great, he has perfomed well this year, he has not been the heartbeat of the team, the team have got better since he was injured, we should draw our own conclusions.

How has the team got better since he was injured, only 2 wins in 9 doesn't really suggest that!
  • -and four points off the top of the table = shocking
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]-and four points off the top of the table = shocking

Well as long as everybody else keeps f**king up we'll be fine, because thats the only reason we're not well adrift.
  • Sponsored links:

• well gives you and likeminded fans something to moan about
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]well gives you and likeminded fans something to moan about

Don't know what this means? How have i moaned? Reid is the best player at our club and i'm amazed some seem happy for him to go. If he was on a free in the summer i could understand.
  • Mart, did you go to QPR, Plymouth, at home, etc, what we have played at home and away since the Colchester game has been better and more expansive than (other than Ipswich at home) than anything played in October / November. If you disagree fair enough. But I think there were a series of home games when we were crap and Reid was playing.
  • Yeah i did, but our recent ok form is down to players settling as Pards has said. I think the team would be even better with Reid now as he'll have even more freedom. We got very lucky against Stoke and other teams will play the same way against us and Reid is the sort of player, who can unlock defences, who has that touch of class, that the rest of the team is lacking.
  • Completely agree mart.
  • i am not happy to see him go but I am not going to get all het up over it. £4M for a decent player who quite frankly hasn't set te division alight has he is good business

Now if it was Zheng Zhi then I'd be upset
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]i'm amazed some seem happy for him to go. If he was on a free in the summer i could understand.

I don't think anyone has said they are happy, more that there are som,e that accept the alleged inevitable and see the filthy lucre as adequate compensation and others that see his departure as unacceptable and avoidable. Personally, If we lost Reidy and bought in a quality (at this level) right sided player and a decent loan (Song) then I would think that it would be worth it.
  • To be honest Ledge i'm suprised ZZ hasn't been linked with a move. Settled better than i thought he would in this league and think he will be much better in the Prem next time around.
  • ZZ can only play for us at the mo because of work permit regulations, i believe.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]ZZ can only play for us at the mo because of work permit regulations, i believe.

No, he loves the Club and has said he would play for free if he had too. ;0)