Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I have been on two protests in the last week-ish

Comments

• Are you employed or self employed sparks?

• Tony Benn is a legend.

Petition signed mate.
  • edited September 2011
    Technically self employed but I am really working under false/bogus self employment, which is illegal. But the government don't really mind as we are working in construction, so are  therefore scum
  • @RedArmySE7 you know some sparks, can you forward on the blog and the petition to them for me please mate. Cheers
  • three words really 

cheap foreign labour

Until we have a goverment that puts into place something for the building industry which allows people in their last year of school to take one day a week to train rather than waste time on something they haven't got the interest in we will have a shortage of decent tradesmen which means we have to have the cheap (in some case not properly skilled) foreign labour.

I spend at least 25% of my week putting right shoddy work I'd be ashamed to put my name to
  • Technically self employed but I am really working under false/bogus self employment, which is illegal. But the government don't really mind as we are working in construction, so are  therefore scum

Ah. There's the problem. Your 'employers' can do what they want then.

Why on earth did you take this on as a skilled sparks?

• I don't suppose your political paper is called Iskra is it?

Sorry thats a bit obscure, perhaps one for Leroy.

Good luck, don't be intimidated.
    My nan used to put Tony Benn up when politicians used to go around actually speaking to people at proper meetings.
  • I don't suppose your political paper is called Iskra is it?

You don't need to be a bright spark to work out the pun there...
  • Well, to be fair, you do need to know Russian.

Or Russian history.
  • Sponsored links:

or access to google
  • You're both right.  I withdraw my previous remark.
  • Russian history in my case. When Pravda meant something.
  • Bit in a column in the Mirror today giving some of the background, but nothing specific about your protests.
  • Signed.
  • Thanks to those of you signing the petition

@RedArmySE7 Jeremy Corbin MP and Bob Crow will be at The Shard on the 7th September
  • Good luck -haven't heard about it but nobody should be too surprised about that.
  • What time at the shard?
  • 6:30am start so we can catch people as they start to go into site
  • Sponsored links:

• Reminds me of the JLE days (Drake and Scull). They tried to implement the SME trade then (if you can call it a trade).

Although i have managed to get off the tools for some time now, you never know what lies around the corner.

Unfortunatly I will not be able to make this one.

Good luck brother.

• Why is this thread not full of terrible puns? 

Watt are you doing to get this on the current affairs agenda?  Power to the people,  Etc.

• Why is this thread not full of terrible puns? 

Watt are you doing to get this on the current affairs agenda?  Power to the people,  Etc.

Shocking

• Animal rights protestors outside AXA near st Pauls, very random...was 5 of them, don't they have anything better to do.?
  • and just in case any of you have a couple minutes. There is a petition to try and attempt to bring this to the governments attention set up by a friend of mine

PETITION

Signed, shared on facebook and responded to PM.
  • If there is a dispute over pay cuts, removal of terms and conditions and de-skilling your union should be backing you now.
    It does not mean you having to take industrial action just start getting your union to start some talks with the employer, maybe forcing their hand in doing so.
    Not sure I would want a de-skilled/semi-skilled spark playing around with electrics. That must be a real health and saftey issue not a Bob Crow one.

I'm a Unite member formerly AEEU formerly AEU, thought they were and still are bloody hopeless.
    Wish you luck but we dont have strong unions anymore, for whatever reason.

I recall some mad old cow giving them a good battering with 'full use of the law', if not the laws of the land, some years back. Aided and abetted, by other unions moving into new territories (Murdoch is still a bastard!).
  • When it eventually kicks off, I'm sure the OB will nick them, put them in a dry cell and charge them in the morning.

.....coat.