Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan Green

I’m sorry to start another thread on this idiot but the search facility no longer works on this site.

Alan Green – The self styled King of the Commentators.

He has been a senior football commentator on the
BBC for over 25 years. That sentence itself is as unbelievable to read as it is to type. Why???

Thankfully the wonderfully informed Mike Ingham remains the Chief Football Correspondent, a position he has held since the retirement of Brian Butler.

Alan Green is a joke. How on earth has he kept a job at supposedly the best broadcasting company in the world for so long is beyond me.

Is it because he has spent the last 20 odd years slagging off our best players? Robson, Butcher, Shearer, Adams, Ince, Neville, Beckham, Lampard and now Rooney.

Anyway I could go on all day about him but I must bring up a classic Greenisim from last night.

Picture the scene- last night on
BBC Radio 5Live – Old Trafford - Man Utd v Spurs – Spurs first game of the season, City already won 2/2 so pressure on Utd to match them. The only Prem game of the day. So, you could say…….. it was a high profile game. Here is my latest complaint of Alan Green:

Mark Lawrenson – Alan, this lad Livermore for Spurs, where does he come from, do you know?

Green – No I don’t. I’ve no idea.

Brilliant. The most respected broadcasting service in the world employs a sports commentator who readily admits he brings no notes to game and makes no notes during one. That is all very well when you can recite things off the top of your head. I don’t mean be a complete Statto like
Motson etc, just do some research at least on the game you are covering.

Anyway, seconds later Mike Ingham reeled off the many, many clubs that
Livermore had appeared for over the last year or so whilst on loan. Green should have known these facts, or at least some of them. The whole episode showed the man’s arrogance and total disregard to the privileged position he holds. He knows nothing about football and no names outside the top of the Premier League. He should be replaced today.

Comments

• Have to say Chirps, I agree with you, I cannot stand this utter fool of a man, he is tool of the highest order!
  • I cant stand the man either. He reminds me of a fat old uncle who has nothing good to say about anything. If i had my way i would put him and Mark Lawrenson up against a wall and use them both as shooting practice.
  • Really like him in "let's stay together"
  • Excellent post Chirps. Did you hear him whinging about the Old Trafford PA man shouting inane twaddle over the top of him? The irony of it was almost unbearable.

It used to be embarrassing listening to him host 606, If a fan of anyone outside of the Premiership rang in, he literally knew nothing about their team or club.

Mike Ingham is excellent and really shows Green up when they work together, but to be honest nearly all of them are better than Green. Only Tyldsley gets anywhere near annoying to listen to as Green. I have occasionally had to turn games off when one of thsoe two are commentating because they just piss me off too much.

I've always thought it a shame that Roddy Forsyth has never seen fit to come down and commentate on some games south of the border.

• edited August 2011
    Too opinionated - thinks he has a point no matter how ridiculous and wont let go and has to keep driving it home - Radio equivalent of Barry Davies. Very Poor!
  • I can't stand him, every game I hear him commentating he moans how boring it is, lack of quality...every game.
  • Heard this by chance as flicked 5 live on while out of the lounge. Just made me cringe. Another chapter in the "Alan Green is a helmet" book, which is now fairly biblical in size!
  • Completely agree.  The awful sound of a man who's life is a permanent junket at public expense whining his way through a World Cup final (basically they have consistently not entertained Lord Green enough) is more than I could take.  As soon as I hear his voice, it goes off.  The fact that, as Chrips example illustrates, he lacks knowledge and insight just makes it more galling.
  • adsads
    edited August 2011
    could bombard the bbc with complaints to try and get the bellend off the air
  • I did complain to the BBC about him and his constant criticisim of Wayne Rooney. They replied along the lines of Alan Green is a very opinionated commentator with a robust style that many people enjoy..... Crap.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm going to complain to the BBC about the set up of MOTD. They should rotate guests and not have the same 3/4 people every week passing opinion. All ex footballers. They should have football journalists or current footballers who are injured or something instead of Hanson and Shearer. At least last week they had Lawro instead of Shearer. So irritating. Much prefer goals on sunday. 
  • To be fair Chirpy I heard the above last night but I think it was all a bit tongue in cheek, when Lawro asked the question and Green instantly replied "Ive no idea" I think it was more for reaction.

Also when Mike Ingham reeled off the list Mark Lawrenson then said "it sounds more like a prescription" so they were joking about.  

• I'm going to complain to the BBC about the set up of MOTD. They should rotate guests and not have the same 3/4 people every week passing opinion. All ex footballers. They should have football journalists or current footballers who are injured or something instead of Hanson and Shearer. At least last week they had Lawro instead of Shearer. So irritating. Much prefer goals on sunday. 
    Suzi

They wont change it because Lineker would walk. They are all pals and one horrible little Clique.

• edited August 2011

Her's a typical 'Ulsterman'. I can't stand that horrible accent and can no longer listen to Green, the totally obnoxious little pillock Colin Murray or the know all Stephen Nolan without wanting to throw a brick at the radio. The BBC just loves the Scots and the Irish who are totally over-represented at broadcasting house or whatever they call Propaganda Central nowadays.

I have said this before and will say it again, the only way established 'names' get to leave the BBC  is in a coffin. Green, Motson (who is still good), Clare Balding, Blowers, Aggers (and all the other TMS lovies), Stuart Hall, Mike Ingham, Robby Savage, Mark Lawrenson, Gary Lineker, Sue Barker et al, we are stuck with them 'til death do us part, either ours or theirs. The problem is that as the 'old men' die off, they get replaced with squeaky voiced little female meeedja graduates like the simply awful Alison Mitchell or Jackkiieeeee Oakley.   God please spare us !!

Suzi They wont change it because Lineker would walk. They are all pals and one horrible little Clique.
    Where will Lineker walk to? .. who else wants him? Even Walkers Crisps have got sick of his smug mug 
  • I would take every single one of them over Peter Drury and Jon Champion. Twice. Colin Murray is a top guy. Even if he isn't, it's nice to get be the one getting wound up by a footy presenter for a change!

Alan Green doesn't bother me in the slightest. He should, but for some reason he doesn't. I think it's because he reminds me of driving home from The Valley or Selhurst in a Vauxhall Viva, listening to 5 Live.

• how many times, leave lineker alone.
  • The missus doesn't eat Walkers crisps due to Linekers comments about Stoke once on Motd.
  • how many times, leave lineker alone.
    you want him VG? .. take him away ... PLEASE !!
  • lineker is a ledge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Goalhanger.
  • lineker is a ledge.
    & that's all he's useful for .. supporting a vase full with luvverly flowers
  • but seriously, all these commentators start off OK, but then get overfull with their own importance and then arrogance and hubris sets in .. then it' time for them to go take a hike or at least to heed the invocation whispered to victorious ancient Roman Emperors and Generals by a trusted slave: 'remember thou art only a man and not a god'
  • Barry Davies was, and always will be the best.
    I couldn't stand him.
    Ol Bazza?, another one who refuses to go away quietly into that gentle night, sorry but he epitomises the arrogant BBC aparatchik
  • The BBC ceased to be a good broadcaster when they were taken over by the pc mafia.The comments about Green are spot on as are the leaving in a box is the only option.The sports coverage is rubbish with the statutory clueless woman talking garbage and interviewing players whose faces say it all.
  • Hasn't Jason Roberts replaced Robbie Savage these days or was that just for one show? Would somewhat go against the suggestion that they only employ well known, fully signed up members of the clique. Same maybe with Rosenior, Murty and even Claridge to an extent.

Personally don't mind Green but accpet his style's not to everyones taste and clearly he says a lot to maintain his contraversial image.

MOTD really needs a major overhaul though and it's become very stale and would be difficult to tell one year from the next as they come out with the same old stuff week after week after week.

• The big problem with MOTD is that they decide on the big games before- put a couple of extra cameras on them and then feature them whether they are good games or not. What they should do is sod the extra cameras and devote most of the programme time to the most exciting games. Yes the format is a bit stale but if they focus on the best games the show would be much more entertaining. 
  • Hasn't Jason Roberts replaced Robbie Savage these days or was that just for one show? Would somewhat go against the suggestion that they only employ well known, fully signed up members of the clique. Same maybe with Rosenior, Murty and even Claridge to an extent.

Personally don't mind Green but accpet his style's not to everyones taste and clearly he says a lot to maintain his contraversial image.

MOTD really needs a major overhaul though and it's become very stale and would be difficult to tell one year from the next as they come out with the same old stuff week after week after week.

Roberts is the saturday 606 knowledge wallah and Silly Robbie (silly?, he's making loads a money & avin a larf) is now on sunday 606 .. probably for the next 70 years