Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Iwelumo

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
Signed for Watford.

Good signing for them.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_7047180,00.html

Comments

• good old big Chris
  • His 4th club since leaving us
  • Most over-rated player for us in years. Made lack of mobility an art-form. Didn't move until ball was about to land then got there too late and fouled the defender. He was utter cack.
  • Most over-rated player for us in years. Made lack of mobility an art-form. Didn't move until ball was about to land then got there too late and fouled the defender. He was utter cack.
    Most. Inaccurate. Post. Ever.
  • Agreed!
  • A little harsh there Mr Gardener.............although not my favourite player from the past few years and I agree he was clumsy and gave away too may fouls in & around the box (where HE should have been the one to attract a foul) he did score a couple of cracking goals - the 2 last minute ones at St Mary's and Bristol City come to mind (which came from a couple of decent crosses I may add)
  • He did ok . Trouble is he was a Pardew signing.
  • we never worked out how to use him, all we did was smash balls up to him whilst he had 2 defenders on him and no one else in a red shirt within 30 yards....hence he got alot of stick when not alot happened
  • Absolute opposite of @harveysgardener, think Chris was well under rated in our team. He was our top scorer, our only threat upfront and when he left he was on blistering form in getting Wolves promoted to the Prem.
  • Sponsored links:

• He did alright, but if I remember rightly after Reid got injured he hardly scored (nor did anyone else tbf)
  • Comfortably the best striker Pardew signed for us (not that that's saying much). He did give away too many free kicks, but that was mainly due to incredibly harsh refereeing - he often had fouls given against him for standing still. He'd have scored more goals had Jerome Thomas not been utterly terrible that season.
  • problem with big chris is he is very immobile and therefore you have to pair him with a different kind of player. he has proved time and again that he can score goals in the championship, and will prove it yet again at watford
  • Seeing as he went on to do well at wolves maybe he was charltonised

Don't think we see the best of him but also don't think he was pony
  • I always thought he was alright; I don't recognise any of that stuff hg is talking about.

Interestingly for such a big bloke he was better with the ball at his feet than in the air.  I think that was a big part of our problem that our manager and the rest of the team never recognised this.

• As Elthamaddick said we didn't use him properly. Pardew mainly played him up front on his own and we hoofed the ball up to him. He did give away a lot of fouls but he often had little or no support.

The next season he went to Wolves, played alongside a quicker more skilful striker in Ebanks-Blake, along with wide players that got good crosses in and he had a great season.

Good Championship striker, nothing more or less. How good or poor he looks is down to how teams use him.
    Most. Inaccurate. Post. Ever.
    This
  • he was quailty for us

if you couldnt see that then jeesus i want your pork pies, He was not the problem Pardew was

• Carl Leaburn #2 - clearly, judging by the comments above. 
  • Chris Iwelumo was not consistent enough. Scored the majority of his goals before Christmas then went on a drought to maybe the last few games. Signed for Wolves and did the same thing, signed for Burnley and did the same thing. Not a player to rely on as Scotland would have witnessed!!! He will do ok at Watford but bet he does exactly the same. Nothing to do with Pardew.  
  • Sponsored links:

Stupid Comment and another here:
    Chris Iwelumo was not consistent enough. Scored the majority of his goals before Christmas then went on a drought to maybe the last few games. Signed for Wolves and did the same thing, signed for Burnley and did the same thing. Not a player to rely on as Scotland would have witnessed!!! He will do ok at Watford but bet he does exactly the same. Nothing to do with Pardew.  

• Had a quick look, when he got promoted with Wolves he scored 16 league goals. Ebanks-Blake got 25.

In 06/07, the season before we signed him, he got 18 (though 4  were in one game) for Colchester and Cureton scored 23.

I don't think it's inconsistency with Iwelumo, he just wasn't expected to be the main goalscorer. With us for some reason he was and then once Reid left we lacked any real creativity.
  • Would be a real asset to us in this league - I liked him and thought it was the beginning of the disaster when Pardew started playing Gray instead of him.
  • There are no stupid comments on here at all Dazzler, the stupid comment was yours. If more than one person is stating the facts then there is a reason!!    
  • Big signing for Watford, will not replace Graham's goal record but he is a player who imho will could the difference between them being in a relegation dogfight and being a bt more comfortbale. Will get his fair share of goals, but his overall play will be a big plus for Watford this season.
  • Would have done a great job for us in this division and still a good signing for Watford in the one above.

If decent crosses were put in the box he was able to get his head on them as noted by correspondents above - Bristol City away was a cracker...
  • There are no stupid comments on here at all Dazzler, the stupid comment was yours. If more than one person is stating the facts then there is a reason!!    

your "facts" are proven incorrect here:
    Had a quick look, when he got promoted with Wolves he scored 16 league goals. Ebanks-Blake got 25.

In 06/07, the season before we signed him, he got 18 (though 4  were in one game) for Colchester and Cureton scored 23.

I don't think it's inconsistency with Iwelumo, he just wasn't expected to be the main goalscorer. With us for some reason he was and then once Reid left we lacked any real creativity.

So he's no premiership striker... What a surprise. More than good enough for L1 and an asset in the chumpionship
  • Lets see if my facts are incorrect.

Charlton - 10 goals in 46 games - 9 of these goals were scored before the new year.

Wolves - 16 goals in 46 games 

Burnley 11 goals in 46 games

Basically he has a ratio of about one in every four games. His best season was with Colchester and without that season his career ratio would be a lot worse.

Is that a consistent striker who you can rely on? errr no.

Strange how he only stays with a club for one season. Not really as it is apparent.

The man doesn't work hard enough that is also a fact.

I rest my case

• There's a difference between consistent goalscorer and consistent striker.

I don't think anyone has claimed Iwelumo is a natural goalscorer.

"The man doesn't work hard enough that is also a fact."

How is that a fact?
  • I watched every game of that season home and away and he went missing for the second half of that season. Didn't get into position and took his eye off the ball when he was. This is the reason he is not consistent. To achieve consistancy is to work hard even when you have a barron spell but he has done this not only with Charlton. That is not working hard enough and having witnessed that with my own eyes that makes it a fact.