Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Golf

Amazing game. Can't believe it's taken me nearly 40 years to discover it. Last week I shot 92 on a tough course and was pretty pleased myself. Today I shot 80 on a par 70. Think I might have to get my handicap adjusted, as that makes a Nett score of 56 on my handicap :)

Anybody else absolutely obsessed with it?

Comments

• Nope.
    :o)
  • No but when i get to play i find Ping Pong extremely addictive
  • It would appear that the harder I try, the worse I become.
    One sport I just can't seem to get my head around.
  • I hate it, frustrating as hell, played a 97 with my mates old clubs in the wind and rain one week, then went and got my clubs from my Nan's house for a tournament at the same course a week later, in glorious sunshine, calm as anything, and came stone dead last with a 129
  • edited July 2011
    Love it, absolutely love it. Love playing it, watching it, reading about it and talking about it. Its so good for you both mentally and physically. Only people with the bug will understand that. My best is 85 which I shot earlier this summer. Had four consecutive rounds in the 80s recently which produced a lot of man wee or whatever this weeks saying is!
  • You produced "sex wee" over golf?

You need some help bruv.
  • I reckon I am unique in the golfing world. I am pretty crap and have only once ever played a hole under par. And that was a hole in one. On a par four.
  • must have been a pretty short par 4 - where was it............. Barnehurst ?????????

You need some help bruv.
    Well, as Alexei Sayle once said, "Golf is a good wank spoiled"!
  • LOVE IT!
  • Sponsored links:

• must have been a pretty short par 4 - where was it............. Barnehurst ?????????

Addington. 5th 

You need some help bruv.
    Well, as Alexei Sayle once said, "Golf is a good wank spoiled"!

Pssst, "a good walk spoiled"................"Golf is a good walk spoiled"

But say it how ever you want to. ; )

• No, that was Mark Twain.  I'm talking about Alexei Sayle.
  • golf is the nuts. really frustrating but as soon as i get home from a round, i wanna get back out on the course.
  • Can't believe it's taken me nearly 40 years to discover it. Last week I shot 92 on a tough course and was pretty pleased myself. Today I shot 80 on a par 70. Think I might have to get my handicap adjusted, as that makes a Nett score of 56 on my handicap :)

If you're turning in those scores having just taken up tha game I'd seriously consider aiming to become a pro if I was you. 

Apology's........................ : )
  • love it. been playing for 25 years and joined a club for the 1st time this year,got my official handicap of 15.

leroy, for someone who flies off the handle if someone dare use the wrong internet security programme, how do you react to shanking a 7 iron at right-angles into the water?

Apology's........................ : )
    No worries at all ;-)  After all, who's ever heard of Alexei Sayle in this day and age.
  • love it. been playing for 25 years and joined a club for the 1st time this year,got my official handicap of 15.

leroy, for someone who flies off the handle if someone dare use the wrong internet security programme, how do you react to shanking a 7 iron at right-angles into the water?

It's never come up. :)

Seriously, I'm amazed that since discovering it, it's yet to really get on my tits. I think discovering that I seem to be OK at it helps - it's something else to see your mates who've been badgering you about playing it with them for years get destroyed by someone who's never played the game before.

I play on my own quite a bit as well, which helps, I think. You can get as pissed off at yourself as you want when you're on your own, but I find myself analysing why I f***ed something up more than getting wound up by it. I don't know - it just seems a good 'fit' for me.

And as for doing it professionally, I'm 37 mate - not much chance of ever making a living out of it! Besides, yesterday was 11 shots better than I've ever been before, so an obvious fluke - I didn't hit a single bad tee shot all day, only three putted once and chipped in from just off the green twice. I'm pleased with my progress so far, but have a feeling that I'll hit a plateau at some point soon so will need to take some lessons or something.

One thing I've discovered is that you should never try and compete with a Korean bloke for distance - every time I go to the range there's a random Korean geezer in the bay next to me humming it 280 yards.
  • play at least twice a week used to play off 9 now up to 12 they game drives me mad they say u only really have 4 good rounds a year so i guess i must be carrying mine over to next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Love it, just don't have the time to play as much as i would like!
  • I only took up golf at age 30 when I found my body shape wasn't suited to sunday league football anymore & sad to say my handicap never got any better than 18.................I haven't belonged to a club for about 5 years now and play to around 21.

However - I love the game & try to play once every week or so............... time of year is good as you can play after work on a twilight deal (cheap)  and it only takes a couple of hours if you play on your own.

I am lucky that my job also gets me invites to corporate days and recently I have played at a couple of top=notch courses with the prize being a round a Wentworth or St Andrews !!!   (sadly, I didn't win)

The only thing I weould say to Leroy Abraham or any others of you out there just starting out is to make  sure that you know the rules & play to them..............I have purposly not played in any Charlton LIfe golf days as I am not sure that everyone is on the same wavelength when it comes to counting the nimber of shots they have taken. Not saying that people cheat but some people are genuinly not aware that if you hit a ball into a bush and is "unplayable" that if you drop it out then your next shot is not your second and may even be your third (if u drop it well clear of the bush)..

• Love it!

Play off at 7. Have done a lot of caddying, top event was caddying in the Open in 2008 at Royal Birkdale!

Totally addictive game

• Oh I'm fully aware of the rules. I ususally don't end up in the trees, so it's not much of an issue for me :)
  • I play at least 3 times a week. I am currently 2nd in the Fed Ex leaderboard behind Tiger Woods. I was abosolutely gutted when the blu-ray packed up on my PS3. 2 weeks without a game.
  • LOL. I'm on there too. Got some way to go to beat my best round in real life though - shot 21 under at Sawgrass a few weeks back :)
  • I do honestly love golf but sadly, i'm absolutely shit at it. Being a south-paw means i can't just borrow some clubs and I'm not going to waste money buying some. I do play the local par 3 pitch & wedge with a mate now and then but average +2 every hole. :-(
  • I do honestly love golf but sadly, i'm absolutely shit at it. Being a south-paw means i can't just borrow some clubs and I'm not going to waste money buying some. I do play the local par 3 pitch & wedge with a mate now and then but average +2 every hole. :-(
    2 over every hole isn't bad. I've got mates who have been playing for years who don't do that.
  • Maybe because I'm trying to compare my real golf to my playstation play.
  • You will do much better Leroy, if you upgrade to the new Apple Clubs.

You wont believe how good the I-drive and I-putt clubs are.