Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any cyclists on here?..

Comments

• The thought of people using the "cycle to work scheme" to buy/loan bikes that they actually use to cycle to work is quite funny.

I know of about 6 or 7 people at my place who have taken advantage of the scheme and only one of them uses it to get to work - and even then only very occasionally

That added to the fact that most people have ballsed up the implementation of the scheme by putting "loans" in place rather than salary sacrifice arrangements and are potentially looking at tax liabilities/penalties (should HMRC ever decide to get round to it) means it's all a bit of a mess.

Nice idea in theory though.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]well I got a trek madone 4.5 using ride to work scheme so effectively half price...[/quote]

Not your fault of course as it was no doubt falsely marketed by the scheme organisers and/or your employer as a means to[i]purchase[/i]a bike that has been heavily subsidised by the tax payers [/url][/quote]

Disagree.
    Firstly, you are correct that you haven't bought the bike outright, but the purchase price at the end is a % of current 2nd hand value. However in my experience the cost is little.... Either way i think it's an excellent scheme with far more pluses than negatives for everyone. 
    I wouldn't say it is a heavy subsidy, nor is the cost particularly low at the end of the hire period. I just copped a bill for £250 for the £1k bike I 'bought' last year. And that is in line with the government directives (I checked). The financially much better alternative is to extend the hire agreement for another 3 years (for a non-returnable deposit of £70) but I'll still have around £70 to pay at the end of that. Still may be a good scheme, however given the limited range of shops where you can use it, and the way some shops won't let you use it to buy bikes that are in sales, you may be better just shopping around for 12 month interest free deals instead.  

Sounds like your system was harsh! Different to ours. Ours was over 3 years (new scheme is now extended to 6yrs). My bikes cost before tax deduction was over £800 but payments ended up being about £50 a month for 12 months, then 2 years of paying nothing. I'm just coming to the end of the 3 years and even if I had to pay £100 final payment It's still been worthwhile. If the scheme had been like yours then I wouldn't have done it.
  • oddly enough I use my bike to commute via a salary sacrifice, although I'm not sure I made the right decision in buying a light road bike - I've had stupid numbers of punctures in the last few weeks, plus the stress of riding in cleats. Am a bit new to that kind of  bike so am now checking my tyre pressures are high enough more regularly to see if that is the problem
  • edited June 2011
    oddly enough I use my bike to commute via a salary sacrifice, although I'm not sure I made the right decision in buying a light road bike - I've had stupid numbers of punctures in the last few weeks, plus the stress of riding in cleats. Am a bit new to that kind of  bike so am now checking my tyre pressures are high enough more regularly to see if that is the problem

Change the tyres. If they are the stock ones they will be crap.

Gator skins come in 700 x 23c. I changed my tyres 2 weeks after buying the bike, commute everyday and have only had one puncture since. (4 months).

Check out chainreactioncycles. Lots of bargains on there.

*edit* couldnt remember what mine were called. Just checked. Continental Grand Prix 4 season Vectran. RRP £43.00 each. £30.00 each on Chainreaction with free delivery.
  • oddly enough I use my bike to commute via a salary sacrifice, although I'm not sure I made the right decision in buying a light road bike - I've had stupid numbers of punctures in the last few weeks, plus the stress of riding in cleats. Am a bit new to that kind of  bike so am now checking my tyre pressures are high enough more regularly to see if that is the problem
    If you're not comfortable with cleats then change to normal pedals, easily done. Confidence = safer.
    Yep you need to get decent tyres worth the extra expense in long run. Make sure the tyres have Kevlar.
  • thanks for the advice fellas, am determined to stick with the cleats, and will deffo take the advice on board re tyres (despite the wads I've already had to pay out on gear) worth it to cut down on having to buy new tubes.

is it worth trying to repair hi pressure tubes?
  • edited June 2011
    oddly enough I use my bike to commute via a salary sacrifice, although I'm not sure I made the right decision in buying a light road bike - I've had stupid numbers of punctures in the last few weeks, plus the stress of riding in cleats. Am a bit new to that kind of  bike so am now checking my tyre pressures are high enough more regularly to see if that is the problem

Change the tyres. If they are the stock ones they will be crap.

Gator skins come in 700 x 23c. I changed my tyres 2 weeks after buying the bike, commute everyday and have only had one puncture since. (4 months).

Check out chainreactioncycles. Lots of bargains on there.

*edit* couldnt remember what mine were called. Just checked. Continental Grand Prix 4 season Vectran. RRP £43.00 each. £30.00 each on Chainreaction with free delivery.
    current tyres are bontrager, I assumed they be decent?

• Finally going to order my new bike next week, best get the new Gatorskins on order
  • @razil - don't know about those tyres. All I would say is Trek are unlikely to spec a Madone 4.5 roadster with tyres suitable for commuting on London roads. They may be expensive but suited only for very smooth tarmac.

I repair punctures on high pressure tubes if it is a bog standard hole. If it is a pinch in the sidewall forget it.

@rothko - gatorskins aren't all that. If you can, get the 4 seasons mentioned above.
  • I found a tear on the side wall of one of my Ultra Gatorskins just as we were about to head off on the Sunday club ride.  Quick trip to Halfords sorted that and was able to continue.  Got back to Eltham Park and my chain snapped, jamming the rear mechanism so had to order a new chain and cassette last night.  Boo.

As for repairing tubes, you can get them so cheap online its not even worth the hassle of trying to repair them.
  • Sponsored links:

• thanks for the advice fellas, am determined to stick with the cleats, and will deffo take the advice on board re tyres (despite the wads I've already had to pay out on gear) worth it to cut down on having to buy new tubes.

is it worth trying to repair hi pressure tubes?
    I tried cleats but couldn't get used to stepping in and out in stop-start traffic.I've been using "half clips" for years and they don't bind as well as cleats but are better than ordinary pedals and less fiddly than toe clips with straps.
  • any tips on aero RB rain wear also most gratefully received, ta
  • Only read this thread briefly as I'm considering starting cycling to work. Anyone cycle along the cycle super highway from Clapham to Waterloo? I've driven on parts of it which don't seem a great route to cycle on - parked cars all along the cycle lane.

Thought I might post a link to a cycle fundraising sportive that the charity I work for is doing http://www.accesssport.org.uk/ride-around-london. For those interested it's a 115 mile (shorter routes also available) ride using a route devised by cycle tour veteran Andy Cooke.

• Just getting into riding again myself to try and get fitter and lose some weight.

Currently doing an 8km loop everyday after work with the intention of increasing the loop by a couple of kms every couple of weeks.

• I am looking to replace my old bike as I have had it for 20 years now.  I really know nothing much at all about bikes and would appreicate any advice.  My budget is probably up to £500 and I would be using my bike mainly for road cycling.  Nothing serious, a few miles to work and the occasional weekend trip.  I am also thinking of doing a triathlon next year so would use it there too.  Was thinking about getting one second hand so as to get the best possible bike for my buck.  Wondered if anyone could give me any advice on what I should get and where from.

Thanks peeps.

• my advice get a better one on the ride to work scheme as you save up to 50%

:)

On other matters I think my repeated punctures may be down to a couple of small tears in the side of my tyre, anyone concur?
  • I recently got a 2007 Specialized Allez Sport 18 for £280 (was £699 new in 2007) from a classified ad on Preloved.co.uk.

Only thing I'd say about buying second hand is leave a £100 or so of your budget spare for a service and new tyres. The bike I got is going to need new tyres within 6 months, and another bike I looked at (really nice Trek 1.5, that eventually went for £442 on ebay) was going to need at least 1 new tyre imminently.
  • I am looking to replace my old bike as I have had it for 20 years now.  I really know nothing much at all about bikes and would appreicate any advice.  My budget is probably up to £500 and I would be using my bike mainly for road cycling.  Nothing serious, a few miles to work and the occasional weekend trip.  I am also thinking of doing a triathlon next year so would use it there too.  Was thinking about getting one second hand so as to get the best possible bike for my buck.  Wondered if anyone could give me any advice on what I should get and where from.

Thanks peeps.

Wait for the 2012 models to be released, usually late August, then pick up a discounted 2011 model. Ride a specialized allez myself. That would fit your price bracket. Great bike for the money.

Good idea, then we can all pay for it.
    ;o)
  • Yep, +1 for the Specialized Allez.  I love mine.  Fits me perfectly.  Hopefully will be upgrading to the carbon Tarmac soon.

Get along to your local bike shops, sit on a few, see what fits you best and that will give you a starting point from which you can go back to ebay if you want to go down the second hand route.
  • Sponsored links:

• rather pay for that the some of the other stuff I pay for :P

• Yeah, loving my Allez too. Having moved from a Raleigh hybrid, it's a completely different cycling experience, hills seem so much easier and it feels so much quicker. I guess it helps that's it's about half the weight lol

;o)

Welcome to the grumpy old man club Offie :-)

I'm on record as saying this scheme is just wrong so won't labour the point any more than I've already bored people with but I did see an article recently that showed that by far the greatest price bracket of bikes, hired under this scheme were in the £800-£1200+ price range.

Hardly the price range for the commuter looking to get back into cycling as a cheap way and healthy to get to work the scheme was intented for. More likely an exisiting cyclist looking to upgrade to a better bike at the taxpayers expense.

Big boo to CTW scheme from the Bournemouth jury.

• edited June 2011
    my advice get a better one on the ride to work scheme as you save up to 50%

;o)

Welcome to the grumpy old man club Offie :-)

I'm on record as saying this scheme is just wrong so won't labour the point any more than I've already bored people with but I did see an article recently that showed that by far the greatest price bracket of bikes, hired under this scheme were in the £800-£1200+ price range.

Hardly the price range for the commuter looking to get back into cycling as a cheap way and healthy to get to work the scheme was intented for. More likely an exisiting cyclist looking to upgrade to a better bike at the taxpayers expense.

Big boo to CTW scheme from the Bournemouth jury.

not moaning/boring us further but somehow managed to?

lol

I used mine to get a faster quicker bike that would manage the distance better, and to replace a bike that was in excess of 5 years old, is that allowed under your rules? I've never used it for leisure so far.

:D

PS the normal limit of the scheme is £1000 so its strange the average would be higher - this can be exceeded if your firm has a consumer credit licence

PPS mine was £1800

PPPS don't forget its a salary sacrifice/tax rebate, you have to earn it first.

PPPPPPS I don't really care just 'arguing' the point for arguments sake
  • People really shouldnt loose sight of the fact that CTW scheme is via salary sacrifice.

Cant wait for my employer to start as we dont pay VAT either.
  • People really shouldnt loose sight of the fact that CTW scheme is via salary sacrifice.

Cash jobs only is it?
    ;o)

Cash jobs only is it?
    ;o)

Unfortunately not. Local Govt.
  • They'll still get the VAT back Clem - so the taxpayer would be helping to pay for yours too. That's right, isn't it razil?
    ;o)
  • So, a sartorial question for you serious cyclists (I consider myself an amateur):

Padded cycling shorts and underwear: yes or no?