Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackpool fined £25,000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackpool/9378679.stm

absolute joke!

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Covered_End_Lad[/cite]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackpool/9378679.stm

absolute joke!

agreed
  • edited January 2011
    This really rags me off. They are told to name a 25 man squad to register for premier league football and then get fined for fielding 11 of those players who the knobs in soho square deem to not be good enough. I find this detrimental to the professionals who turned out for them that game, as the FA are effectively saying they're not good enough to play in their competition. Unlike chelsea/man city etc, Blackpool can't name a squad of 25 internationals. It's no good Blackpool moaning though as they're only there to make up the numbers as far as the FA are concerned. It needs all 20 clubs to say to the FA "it's up to us which players we play".

Appalling decision.
  • DIdn't Holloway say he would quit if they got punished for this?
  • http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackpool/9178229.stm

Yes.
  • What a stupid decision...

• Thank you - whilst the rule is non-sensical, he really is a first class moron.
  • Managers should be able to use their squad however they like.

Well worth being fined £25k if it means you stay up by resting players for the most important games.
  • Who is the moron?
  • Absolute rubbish... what is the point in being forced to declare a 25 man squad then. Total utter crap.
  • Crazy decision. Times were when all teams would "play their strongest team". Then came - oh the League Cup - we'll rest all our best players. Then came saving players legs so they are fresh for the Champions League.

Now as far as anyone can tell, the 25 man squad system is to "legitimise" what Wenger, Ferguson, Benitez et al have been doing anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Funny how when Liverpool "rested" 10 players against Fulham they did nothing whatsoever. But Wolves, Blackpool etc etc get punished.

In any case, relatively speaking, I would suggest that Blackpool's 2nd X1 is closer to their first Team than the likes of Chelsea or Liverpool.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Funny how when Liverpool "rested" 10 players against Fulham they did nothing whatsoever. But Wolves, Blackpool etc etc get punished.

In any case, relatively speaking, I would suggest that Blackpool's 2nd X1 is closer to their first Team than the likes of Chelsea or Liverpool.

Exactly. No one counts except the "big" clubs, and they must never be offended. Like it's funny how they can get work permits for youngsters from all over the world, when we couldn't get one for an established international. Nauseating.
  • I know that I’m only repeating what other posters have said, but I’ve simply got to register my own disgust at this decision. The FA Premier League is such a self-important and mismanaged organisation, lacking any semblance of effective governance, that it seems neither to recognise or care that we fans view so many of its decisions as biased and hypocritical. Talk about double standards.

In May 2007 Alex Ferguson fielded a weakened team in the final game of the season against West Ham at Old Trafford. West Ham, who we all know had cheated and lied that season and gone unpunished to all intents and purposes, won the game and avoided relegation as a result. Action taken against Manchester United? None.

Two years later in May 2009 Alex Ferguson fielded a weak reserve team in the last game of the season against Hull City. Hull City needed to win the game to be certain of survival. As it turned out, United won the game and Hull survived anyway because results elsewhere went their way, but that’s not the point. Ferguson’s complete disregard for the rules and his lack of any sense of moral obligation to field a strong side meant that his actions could have relegated either Newcastle or Middlesbrough, whatever their own results that day, had Hull beaten Utd's third string. Action taken against Manchester Utd? None.

I’ve always thought Richard Scudamore was thick, but this really is unbelievable. Manchester United can play a weakened side whenever they want, even when the game is crucial to the opposition, but Wolves and Blackpool can’t. Understood.
  • Ah but Mundell that's truly important, Liverpool and Manchester United were trying to win the Champions League, not for themselves but for the benefit of English football and the coefficient, a truly selfless act of surrender

Blackpool and Wolves were just being selfish
  • just echoing whats been posted above - but if a manager is unable to select players from a pre-designated squad then I am not sure what's going on. At least the 'top' (or should I say 'top-top' in Redknapp speak) clubs are immune to this...lets be thankful of that at least! I remember the old days when a manager could pick a team from his squad and he'd be judged on his (or her) results.
  • [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Funny how when Liverpool "rested" 10 players against Fulham they did nothing whatsoever. But Wolves, Blackpool etc etc get punished.

Exactly. No one counts except the "big" clubs, and they must never be offended. Like it's funny how they can get work permits for youngsters from all over the world, when we couldn't get one for an established international. Nauseating.

The match in question was between Blackpool and Aston Villa. How were the "big clubs" affected by it??

Maybe, just maybe, the PL will start punishing the big clubs for fielding weak teams against relegation candidates. All of the examples so far date from before the Wolves fine.
  • You know what the problem with the world is, rules, there are too many rules.
  • I think as soon as Blackpool are safe, Olly should put out the same team that played against Villa
    and keep playing them until they win a game
    Then surely they'd be able to claim all their money back off the PL, because thats not a weakened team.
  • [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Funny how when Liverpool "rested" 10 players against Fulham they did nothing whatsoever. But Wolves, Blackpool etc etc get punished.

Not to sure what match you 2 are on about but i cant remember (and i have taken a little interest) what game they rested that many players for?

BAck to reality West Ham beat manure 4-0 afterwhich everyone said it was because manure made 10 changes... Their punishment was?

Piquionne scores a really important goal for west ham jumps into the crowd gets booked and sent off because the ref has no option it s the law.....berbatov scores the 3rd in a 3-0 win jumps into the crowd and nothing is done. I dont care piquionne got sent off but if he was sent off because there is no other option. then there must be a set of rules for manu and a set for the rest. Dont get me wrong, if thats an offence then fine and believe me they spoke about the sending off on talk sport for days yet not a mention that berbatov done the same unpunished
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if this decision means that clubs must field their best teams no matter what competition it is.
    It is a grade A stupid decision and I was thinking if Blackpool really wanted to go far with this, how that fine
    would hold up in court?
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]

Not to sure what match you 2 are on about but i cant remember (and i have taken a little interest) what game they rested that many players for?

SORRY IT WAS ACTUALLY 9 OUTFIELD CHANGES
  • Blackpool lost 3-2 in the last minute, if they had drawn the game would the fine be £12,500?
    What is the point of a first team squad? If you can't use it, it is funny that the smaller teams can't get away with it.
  • the thing is the rule is actually that you must field the strongest team available. So when Man U and Arsenal and Chelsea field teams that still have plenty of players such as Giggs and Scholes or Kieron Gibbs and Bendtner they may well be good players but they ain't often the strongest ones available.

One rule for one and one rule for everyone else
  • Just echoing what everyone else has said, the Sky 4 do it all the time and sod all happens. Like the cheats at FIFA the FA are not even trying to hide their bias anymore.
  • Anyone remember when P*rdew said "I think I'm gona have to start picking my best team from now on", or words to that effect?!?!

There gotta be a compensation claim for CAFC in there somewhere!
  • Fulham did it at the end of last season before the Europa final, 10 changes, Man Utd did it too before their Champs League Quarter final. Both were after the Wolves fine and neither were punished.

If I were Blackpool I'd be tempted to file some sort of Restriction of Trade suit against the PL.

Also, is there a case for any of the players involved that day to either file a restriction of trade suit (the PL is basically saying those players aren't allowed to play) or even a libel suit (the premier league is basically calling them sub-standard)
  • Also, as Matt Holland said on TalkSport last night, the supposedly weaker team:

- Had more combined premiership appearances than the team fielded the week before
    - Had higher combined transfer fees
    - Due to Blackpool's wage cap, possibly had higher combined wages

So how is it a weakened team?

Also, to be noted is that Wolves fine was suspended, but Blackpool's doesn't appear to be.