Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++2010/11 Takeover complete - Owners unknown, Michael Slater and Tony Jimenez fronting+++

Comments

• its clear to me that jiminez is a front man/mr fix it
    and slater is a lawer, they clearly are not the money behind the deal
    put that with the fact that jiminez was the guy fronting the dubai take over attempt in 2008 wow my mind is running wild with expectation, also if the 2008 attempt had happened, cafc would have ben the SECOND richest club in the world
  • Well said NLA.

I do get the feeling that a lot of regulars on here could win the lottery tomoroow night but would spend the rest of the evening moaning that they'd have won more if it had been a roll-over.

Cheer the eff up people, the wolf's been shooed from the door for now - no promises have been broken, just the unrealistic hopes you allowed yourself to be deluded into believeing. Is it really that importnat that we know exactly who is writing the cheques? What can we do if we don't like them and would you know anymore about them than we do about Slats and Jimi? We have at least 3 good Charlton people in Varney, Murray and Kavanagh in powerful positions within the club that should act as very sound safety net.

Today is good news, just bloody enjoy it would ya because good news days have been thin on the ground around SE7 lately.
  • "Potential in the South East Region"

Stay at The Valley, move to the dome or develop Stonebridge Road as a base for Ebsfleet Athletic or none of the above?

For me continuing to play at The Valley is as important as the existence of the club itself.

I'm probably in a minority of one with that view though. No change there then some might say!
  • In the end does it matter who owns the club as long as we've got a club with some stability. To me that is the most important part of this or any takeover.
  • We have at least 3 good Charlton people in Varney, Murray and Kavanagh in powerful positions within the club that should act as very sound safety net.

It's good that they are still involved/going to be involved with the club going forward, and they may have some influence, however if they own either nothing or a minority stake in the club then their involvement is irrelevant regarding any decisions that get made.
  • underwhelmed..... as i predicted, wouldn't have expected anything else

a bit more cloak and dagger than i hoped but who knows what s really going on but being a pessimist i'm scared !
  • For me continuing to play at The Valley is as important as the existence of the club itself.

At last we agree on something...
  • Administration could have been a real possibility at the end of this season or, if not, the end of the next without either promotion or investment. Now it appears that we are not in imminent danger of the that. "Whoopee, so we are supposed to be happy not to be going bust" I hear the cynics say but yes avoiding admin is a good thing in itself and more importantly gives us breathing space so this season is not, or so it seems, promotion or literally bust. All the pressure is on Parky now to get us up, as it should be and as he should, not on the Club itself to survive.

I can understand why some are underwhelmed but we really won't know what money is involved under the Club starts spending money on players and infrastructure. Personally I'm more than happy that the publicly stated approach is of steady growth with an aim to return to the top flight. Wild promises or three year plans quickly become millstones around necks or, to mix a metaphor, sticks to beat the Club with. Behind the scenes it might be more or less generous than we think but we just don't know.

In the 90s we moved forward slowly year on year, a higher finish there, a new stand there, bigger budget here. Finally it paid off and we were able to exploit the opportunity of the play-off win when it came. I'm happy with a similar steady approach but I do want the Club to be ambitious and aim for the top. It seems from what Slater said that that is what he/the new owners want.

So does it matter who owns the Club and if we know or not? For me, yes it does. I think those who own the Club should be accountable for their actions and decisions to the fans. There is no legal or business reason for that but Football Clubs are more than mere businesses and their "customers" are more demanding and more picky.

If we will ever know if Slater and Jimenez are fronts and if so who for whom I don't know but I think we should keep asking the question until we get a satisfactory answer.

And a few more questions

What are the plans for the Academy? Will it's budget to restored to last season level or higher so as to enable us to attract and keep the best young players

What are the plans for the Stadium? Will the new board commit to staying at and developing the Valley or are there plans for a move to elsewhere in Greenwich?

Will the new board continue to speak with and listen to fans as before via bodies such as the Fans Forum, Target 40k, Bromley Addicks (only half joking), etc?

In the meantime welcome Mr Slater and Mr Jimenez, welcome back Mr Varney and glad to see you're still around Mr Kavanagh and Mr Murray.
  • not keen on tony j oooah?
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Ask away - I have a feeling they won't answer.

And if they are asked these few simple straightforward questions and refuse to answer then what conclusion would you draw?

That they don't want it to be known who they are. All I am saying is that, as I understand it, we have no right to demand the answers to those questions, so if you ask them be prepared for a wall of silence.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2010
    Incorruptable got it nailed on with the Peter Burrowes link.Out of anybody around the club Burrowes has been in and around the club for over 40 years and although he has not been directly employed for some time , scoop has obviously not lost his touch

I'm happy . I always said that Parky should get this season to deliver and at the end of the season I think we should take stock and seriously consider our next move . Parky should get money to push on now .
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]For me continuing to play at The Valley is as important as the existence of the club itself.

At last we agree on something...

Indeed!

Happy New Year!
  • If we will ever know if Slater and Jimenez are fronts and if so who for whom I don't know but I think we should keep asking the question until we get a satisfactory answer.

I presume that you will invite them to Bromley Addicks? If the question of ownership and third party involvement is not resolved by then maybe you could ask them and report back.

Ironically that would mean you lifting the omerta that surrounds meetings of BA....
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Well said NLA.

I do get the feeling that a lot of regulars on here could win the lottery tomoroow night but would spend the rest of the evening moaning that they'd have won more if it had been a roll-over.

Today is good news, just bloody enjoy it would ya because good news days have been thin on the ground around SE7 lately.

Theres nothing wrong with picking the bones out of the whole situation, im happy CAFC is safe from admin now, but still would like to know more.
  • edited December 2010
    i wonder if jim and slats will be at colchester tomorrow,? does anyone have a suitable chant for them ???
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]not keen on tony j oooah?

don't know much about him but he hardly received rave reviews for his work at newcastle
  • Funny you should say that BFR....

Next meeting of NWKA is due to be with Parky , having been scuppered previously by the Brentford JPT match.

If Airman is listening, I'd be happy to add Peter V &/or Mr Slater ( Sir) to that guest list ......

Watch this space.
  • well his the man here and he does have some much needed flair about him exciting times mate
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    If we will ever know if Slater and Jimenez are fronts and if so who for whom I don't know but I think we should keep asking the question until we get a satisfactory answer.

And a few more questions

What are the plans for the Academy? Will it's budget to restored to last season level or higher so as to enable us to attract and keep the best young players

What are the plans for the Stadium? Will the new board commit to staying at and developing the Valley or are there plans for a move to elsewhere in Greenwich?

Will the new board continue to speak with and listen to fans as before via bodies such as the Fans Forum, Target 40k, Bromley Addicks (only half joking), etc?

In the meantime welcome Mr Slater and Mr Jimenez, welcome back Mr Varney and glad to see you're still around Mr Kavanagh and Mr Murray.

Plans for the Academy look as they will be decided elsewhere by the FA. Damian Matthews alerted us to the possibility of new 'elite' academies in the PP Charlton v Soton programme.
  • As has been said, we have 3 'Charlton men' in prominent positions in the club which is very reassuring to all, plus we now also have some people with great contacts in the game and a new chairman with a record of success in business who looks to be very capable and an extremely smart cookie.

These are exciting times and this is, indeed, a great day for CAFC.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Is it really that importnat that we know exactly who is writing the cheques?

Albert Glicksten or Mark Hulyer ?
    Roger Alwyn/Richard Murray or Fry/Sunley ?
    Chief Nzeribe or Sir Maurice Hatter ?

As Henry pointed out, not so much the name, but their intentions for the future of our club and their reasons for becoming involved are VERY important.
  • Whilst curiosity over whom Jimenez and Slater may or may not be fronting for is understandable, it seems to me that it doesn’t really matter. Likewise who may or may not be coming or going. I do believe that administration was a real possibility in the summer, and I see this as a very positive move. Yes, in the long term some things will inevitably change and not all of them will be welcomed but in the short term there will be some money, some better players in on loan, the prospect of going up and, best of all Charlton is alive and well.
    Ps: TJ lives in Chelsfield next door to Gus Poyet, who in turn rents the house from Dennis Wise.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Is it really that importnat that we know exactly who is writing the cheques?

Not really just ask any Notts County fan ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Bennyhill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Is it really that importnat that we know exactly who is writing the cheques?

exactly
  • Well Leeds fans have never found out who's actually writing the cheques there either
  • [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Is it really that importnat that we know exactly who is writing the cheques?

Albert Glicksten or Mark Hulyer ?
    Roger Alwyn/Richard Murray or Fry/Sunley ?
    Chief Nzeribe or Sir Maurice Hatter ?

As Henry pointed out, not so much the name, but their intentions for the future of our club and their reasons for becoming involved are VERY important.
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bennyhill[/cite]

exactly

Yes, but the point I'm trying to make is does knowing who the owner is put us, as fans, in anymore or less control of our club? Unless a fans trust is formed, then we'll always be at the mercy of the owners - and they'll either be good ones or bad ones, knowing their name will not change if they are good or bad and we'll only find out if they're good or bad owners once they've been running the club for a while.

We've had weeks of pointless speculation and guessing and now a concrete announcement has been made everyone is straight back on here speculating and guessing again.
  • Look at the snipets that have come out

Peter Varney " it will be in The best Interests of Charlton Atletic"

Keith Peacock " A great day in the history of our club "

Tony Jimenez and Mr Slater IMO seem to be fronting someone elses investment i have heard whispers and odds and sods over the last few days that the person who is the main investor is seriously wealthy.

IF this is the case and i dont see why it wouldnt be could that be what the 2 proper charlton individuals named above are hinting at.

this is a big day for us we will only see how big when their plans become unveiled

January is a big month for cafc if we look like we are going to strenghen and with players of the right calibre not worldy superstars we need good players proven at this level or above to move on.

then we can get back in the 2nd tier and finally start looking like a football club again.

if you cant be positive about the news today then atleast be cautiously optimistic
  • IMO it seems apparent that Murray, Kavanagh and Varney are there to oversee the day to day running of the club from the Board's perspective. That provides the vital continuity and stability.

Slater and Jiminez appear to be there for the financial responsibilities, the bridge between investors and club.
  • Why all the doom and gloom. We have new owners; people who are prepared to put their money into the club. So let us all give them a chance.

Make no mistake without this takeover things were going to get much worse, before they ever got better. For the past three years we have been sinking at an alarming rate and my understanding is that administration was an absolute certainty at the end of the season. The halcyon days of the premiership are now only a distant memory. Richard Murray has done his best but now is time for a change, and beggars can’t be choosers.
  • edited December 2010
    just found an old artical from 2008

Zabeel's interest is rumoured to have been nurtured by Tony Jimenez, who left his executive role at Newcastle last week.
    just found this info on the web and it confirms to me that jimenez is a mr fix it, its an old artucal from 2008, but a leopard doesnt change its spot does it ?

Jimenez had been in Dubai trying to find a buyer for Newcastle.

Zabeel executive chairman Mohammed al-Hashimi said: 'The passion of the fans, the heritage of the club and the unique status that Charlton enjoy in the community make it an exciting proposition.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1077103/Charlton-chairman-Murray-expects-swift-50m-deal-Dubai-investors.html#ixzz19hytDUyw