Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mid season break

SE9SE9
edited December 2010 in General Charlton
So after we didnt play for two weeks and Liverpool the same(both looking leg weary by the commentators), how would a mid season break help? Me like many say that the likes of ManU, Chelsea ect would just take this time to go and play money spinning friendlies thousands of miles from home and then say that England friendlies are not worth while. I think the xmas fixtures are the ones i look for the most but even with a mid season break that has been mooted around this time of year is not worth it.

Comments

• With our unpredictable weather , a mid season break could cause all sorts of fixture congestion problems and as you say the christmas period is exciting as a football fan as the fixtures come thick and fast .....
  • edited December 2010
  • I think the FA should dsignate a time period as the miod season break and then over a three year period monitor what would have happened if a break had been taken.
  • I'm not really sure what the benefit of a three year study would be. The FA already know the dates of every match that takes place as well as those that didn't. If they want more detailed weather information they could subscribe to the Met Office database and get the complete records from every UK weather station for several decades. It might be worth them checking all this info out, but I'd be amazed if they didn't find what Oohaah has already told us - our weather is unpredictable.
  • Other countries seem to be able to deal with mid season breaks and not have a fixture pile up. It can't be a coincidence most Premiership players seemed burnt out at the last World Cup. I've always been for it from a player's point of view that it would give them time to rest and make sure everyone is ready for the second half of the season and may help our English players at tournaments. However as has been said I do enjoy the amount of football I can go and watch live and the games on TV over Christmas. I can't ever see Sky going for this and they would have a massive say in this.
  • The problem you've got is we could have no snow in December when the break is and then it snows all of January.
  • Yeah let's break 150 years of tradition.
    Maybe we should have indoor grounds or AstroTurf?
    Why don't we swap the world cup to winter as well......
    If the players were stapled to a bed then yes they maybe 'legweary' but all clubs have gyms and access to indoor facilities.
    This isn't a swipe at you SE9 but why on earth can't the game be left alone.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]With our unpredictable weather , a mid season break could cause all sorts of fixture congestion problems and as you say the christmas period is exciting as a football fan as the fixtures come thick and fast .....
    Exactly, its fine as it is. Snow can effect games anytime between late november and around march time depending on the year, theres no way we can anticipate when to have a winter break.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Yeah let's break 150 years of tradition.
    Maybe we should have indoor grounds or AstroTurf?
    Why don't we swap the world cup to winter as well......
    If the players were stapled to a bed then yes they maybe 'legweary' but all clubs have gyms and access to indoor facilities.
    This isn't a swipe at you SE9 but why on earth can't the game be left alone.

Im with you mate, im just pointing out that both CAFC and Liverpool had 2 weeks with out a game so that is like a mid season break and commentators of both games said they looked tired so obviously it didnt work. I've said before that the like of man u ect would just use it to play money spinning friendly's in the far east.