Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Qatar break World Cup promises

I know that we have another thread about Qatar and the World Cup going on at the moment but that's about the gay issues.

I've created this thread to dicuss the new decision the decision to move the World Cup to January 2022. The reason being that it will be hot in Qatar in June or July.

Qatar promised air conditioned stadiums. Are they now not able to fulfill that promise? If not then they are breaking promises and the World Cup should be re-awarded to the country with the second most votes or a new vote should take place.

If FIFA argue that you can't change it now a decision has been made, I would reply asking why then they are considering letting some games take place in Kuwait, Oman and Bahrain.

Please, please someone form a new organisation. Why can't the FA just invite other World Cup winners an alternative competition? How many of those countries would accept? My bet is on the majority.

Comments

• As a twat once said - you couldn't make it up...

With you all the way on an alternative organisation JM.
  • Does any one really think that the January date was not always on the cards and Splatter and the rest of FIFA are happy to accept the date change but it might have screwed the vote in known widely before hand?
  • IAIA
    edited December 2010
    I thought the problem wasn't with the grounds being too hot, but the rest of the country (ie for fans when they're not at matches). That said, it was known beforehand that this would be the case, so I don't see why they're talking about changing it.

Where are you getting this Kuwait, Oman and Bahrain story from? As far as I can see, all the grounds are in Qatar. Do you have a link?

What do the foreign media think about FIFA?
  • Lots of people have talked about a breakaway organisation but nothing really looks like being done.

There are several facebook pages on these lines but these are useless - just people moaning and nothing getting done.

I'm very close to getting off my arse and doing something. I'm a relative nobody but I also believe that if someone puts their mind to it then they could succeed and why not me? In fact the main groundwork actually involves being on your arse because these days you need to send e-mails and make a website to get people involved. I'm starting here and asking you guys for advice.

What needs to be done is this:

Supporters (actual people who attend matches) need to get organised internationally. An anti FIFA week-end needs to be decided upon. I suggest December 3rd and 4th 2011 as this will be the anniversary of the FIFA decision to hold the World Cup in Qatar. Each body of supporters in each of the following countries would then have to boycott all professional matches in their respective countries in order to put pressure on their own FA to form an alternative to FIFA.

I propose action to be taken in the following countries as surely non-participation of these countries would be the downfall of FIFA:

England
    Germany
    Spain
    Italy
    France
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Uruguay
    Netherlands
    Portugal

Without the winners of previous World Cups in their competition FIFA would fail to continue.

The chairman of the FSA in England needs to be contacted first. I shall set about doing this. Any ideas about how I should word my letter would be appreciated. I can then translate this myself into French and send it to the equivalent in France. I can ask my brother in law here in Argentina to help me with the Spanish version. This already accounts for 5 of the ten countries and I think if I sent copies in all three languages to the other 5 organisations that this would suffice.

Does anybody on here know Italian, Dutch, German or Portuguese?

Does anybody already have contacts with the FSA in England?

Does anybody have any other ideas?
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I thought the problem wasn't with the grounds being too hot, but the rest of the country (ie for fans when they're not at matches). That said, it was known beforehand that this would be the case, so I don't see why they're talking about changing it.

Where are you getting this Kuwait, Oman and Bahrain story from? As far as I can see, all the grounds are in Qatar. Do you have a link?

What do the foreign media think about FIFA?

See the bottom of this article:

Matches in other middle east countries
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Lots of people have talked about a breakaway organisation but nothing really looks like being done.

Lots of British people.

You live in France and your brother in Argentina. What do the papers in those places say about it?

Thanks for the link.
  • Does anybody have any other ideas?

wsc

Involve When Saturday Comes by sending them an update.
  • Does anybody on here know Italian, Dutch, German or Portuguese?

Nur Deutsch...
  • edited December 2010
    AlgarveAddick will get you a contact for Portuguese translation

He can also help with Dutch as his barman is from Holland
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Lots of people have talked about a breakaway organisation but nothing really looks like being done.

Lots of British people.

You live in France and your brother in Argentina. What do the papers in those places say about it?

Thanks for the link.

That's a good point and to be honest their reaction is not encouraging. France as I have so often said before is not a football-mad country like England and Argentina. They find the decision baffling but I don't sense any anger about it. Nevertheless the French are excellent about protesting about something and making themselves heard once they get going. Here in Argentina it's quite the opposite. They live in a corrupt country and yet I'm surprised by how little anybody says anything. I calculate real inflation here to be about 20-30 per cent a year but nobody seems to bat an eyelid. My brother in law says that the decision about the World Cup was on TV and that was all that was said by anybody.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Does anybody on here know Italian, Dutch, German or Portuguese?

Nur Deutsch...
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]AlgarveAddick will get you a contact for Portuguese translation

He can also help with Dutch as his barman is from Holland

Great, that just leaves Italian.

Thanks.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Lots of people have talked about a breakaway organisation but nothing really looks like being done.

Lots of British people.

Thanks for the link.

That's a good point and to be honest their reaction is not encouraging. France as I have so often said before is not a football-mad country like England and Argentina. They find the decision baffling but I don't sense any anger about it. Nevertheless the French are excellent about protesting about something and making themselves heard once they get going. Here in Argentina it's quite the opposite. They live in a corrupt country and yet I'm surprised by how little anybody says anything. I calculate real inflation here to be about 20-30 per cent a year but nobody seems to bat an eyelid. My brother in law says that the decision about the World Cup was on TV and that was all that was said by anybody.

It's important. It's easy to forget that we're in a little bubble, because in Britain we tend not to read foreign language papers and other English-speaking countries aren't that worried about football. So what we might think is plain and obvious doesn't come into it for Germans, French, Italians etc. And the complaints of British people might just look like sour grapes.

But if you can get the French fishermen to blockade the Stade de France, then maybe it's possible. :-)
  • And burn Sepp Blatter's lambs!
  • Are we kicking up a stink because we didn't win it?

If England were not bidding for 2018 or 2022 would anyone really care about Qatar getting it?

If it moves to January then fair enough, I'd just hope that all the European competitions carry on as normal and tell them to forget it. Would send a bigger message.
  • edited December 2010
    Sepp Blatter is a moron and this latest saga is just one more piece of evidence in a very large crime scene which proves beyond reasonable doubt that he and his geriatric acolytes are simply not fit to run the world’s premier sport. FIFA represents self governance at its most incompetent and corrupt and is obviously in urgent need of major reform.

Unfortunately, however, you are wasting your time. Any attempt by the English/British to form a breakaway organisation will be seen immediately by other nations as a combination of sour grapes and the pursuit of naked self interest. Moreover, the first question any of those nations would ask is “What’s in it for us? What’s the agenda?” Not easy questions to answer.

The reform process should start much closer to home. With the English FA. The FA is also a remarkably unimpressive organisation and, at times, equally guilty of a lack of transparency and, more generally, very poor management. This serial incompetence is inevitable when there is no accountability and this needs to change with the establishment of an Independent Regulator to whom the FA would report.

The first thing a reinvigorated FA should then do is to stick two fingers up to Septic Buffoon in Zurich and announce with immediate effect the implementation of a thorough review into the use of technology in FA Premier and Coca League games with a view, as a minimum, to the introduction of goal line technology in season 2011/12 and the use video replays in the JPT, on an experimental basis only, during the same season. This is the way to show leadership to the World game. There is no doubt in my mind that once we begin to use technology in football an overwhelming consensus will quickly emerge that it is absolutely the right thing to do. The Luddites will melt away and other nations would soon follow our example.

Both of these developments would also take some lobbying for, but success is more achievable with just two targets, the Minister of Sport and the Chairman of the FA [once they’ve appointed one!].

FIFA would be furious at both of these initiatives which can only add to their attraction.

By the way, I’ve no idea what the reaction in Qatar might be to Blatter’s latest bloomers. They may be very offended. He has, in effect, said that their winning proposal, including the plan for air conditioning which was made in good faith, is no longer credible and that, in addition, they’ll have to share the tournament with unspecified neighbouring countries. I wonder if he’s even spoken to them?! The man really is a dunce.
  • Come December 24 none of you will have a bad word to say about the Qatari's.
    ;
  • I was at The Brazil v England game in Doha and unless Qatar suddenly changes religion this will be the worst World Cup ever fact.

Vuvuzelas are bad enough, but imagine having to watch England sober!
  • Anyone see Holloway's rant on this? Absolutely hilarious, particularly when he called him Seth Blatter...
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I was at The Brazil v England game in Doha and unless Qatar suddenly changes religion this will be the worst World Cup ever fact.

Vuvuzelas are bad enough, but imagine having to watch England sober!

I went to that match, and also the Brazil-Argentina game here in Doha last month.........and it was no better, trust me.
  • I can speak and write Italian.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I thought the problem wasn't with the grounds being too hot, but the rest of the country (ie for fans when they're not at matches). That said, it was known beforehand that this would be the case, so I don't see why they're talking about changing it.

quote]

There would need to be air conditioned training facilities as well as arenas.
  • As one who has been banging on right from the draw for this change, I definitely support JimmyMelrose here but not in boycotting matches. You would never ever be able to empty the Stadiums, but what you could do is print posters in every Country to be held up at games. That would be very newsworthy especially if we could enlist the support of David Beckham who is an international icon. The first thing you need to do is to call a meeting, perhaps the Club would let you use a room, more publicity for Charlton. Then elect a group of people with good experience and ability to put together a plan. If you get the first bit right, you could for instance form other groups across the Country. Well worth a punt.
  • I think this is probably not going to happen. The potential to the Football Association that initiates the first discussion (be it England or another) is dire if it is expelled from FIFA or UEFA for a period of time.

If we walked away from FIFA, or were expelled or suspended then no other nation would be allowed to play us. The FA are already struggling with the huge debts that came from building Wembley if we lose our gate receipts, sponsorship and TV revenues then the English FA would possibly end up in administration or liquidation.

With this in mind I seriously doubt that any of the National FAs would be willing to even threaten to leave FIFA and it is clear from the discussions that the Execuitive Committee have made that they are not worried about upsetting the English fans.

I don't want to sound negative, and I would love us to form a breakaway organisation, but I just can't see it happening. Unlike the formation of the Premier League, where the teams didn't need the Football League but the FL needed the top sides, FIFA membership is necessary for these nations to play any games at all, including friendlies.

I can't see a breakaway tournament with guaranteed entry for a dozen nations being as popular, not to mention the fact that there would be no revenue from qualification if there are so few teams that you qualify automatically.

Sadly it is inevitable that with something that generates so much money being decided by a small number of people that corruption will go on. It is how most of the world has always operated, some of it overt and some of it not. The more money you are willing to spend the more you get from it. It happenes everywhere, why shouldn't it happen with the decision as to where the World Cup is staged?
  • Nice idea, like the forming of a Charlton Supporters Club.

Like the Supporters Club, it is very easy to talk the talk, very much harder to walk the walk.

Sorry to be a party pooper but in today's society the little people mean very little.
  • Another point to consider when talking about the key federations of football breaking away from fifa is that Spain,Germany, France and Brazil are all on fifa's executive committee and voted against England. As representatives of their own federtions those members are unlikely to look to persuade their own federation to break away
  • Seems that no one could be bothered to post or hadn't heard.

Blatter has changed his mind again & is now suggesting that it will be played in the summer :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Seems that no one could be bothered to post or hadn't heard.

Blatter has changed his mind again & is now suggesting that it will be played in the summer :-)

So will they still have air conditioned stadiums? Either way it's ridiculous because people still have to live in those temperatures when they are outdoors.

I've been to the UAE in June and so I know what that's like. There will be visitors who have serious health problems.
  • Its still the plan as it stands.

They have one stadium here already using the stadium air conditioning system.

There will be visitors who have serious health problems.
    There are locals with serious health problems!!