Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sepp Blatter/Qatar - gay issues

Being away from things, I haven't really paid much attention to the world cup allocations. But having seen this today, I find Qatar a staggering (not shocking) choice of venue.

Furthermore, Blatter's continued idiocy makes me feel dispondent. Is this bloke untouchable? Who does he answer to? Seems like nobody. The sooner he steps down the better for everyone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9284186.stm

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]Being away from things, I haven't really paid much attention to the world cup allocations. But having seen this today, I find Qatar a staggering (not shocking) choice of venue.

Furthermore, Blatter's continued idiocy makes me feel dispondent. Is this bloke untouchable? Who does he answer to? Seems like nobody. The sooner he steps down the better for everyone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9284186.stm

Are you sure its staggering and not shocking? I think your just saying that because there isn't a staggering thread. Actually i think all of them are untouchable i seem to remember (altough i might be wrong) that it is a 10 year appointment. I know no other industry that would allow someone 10 years in charge with no one to answer to. Its not profit nor performance related. Its just the job is yours see how much you can milk out of it in 10 years
  • They will all be touchable if somebody forms a new competition with the support of proper football countries. The lunatics have taken over the World Cup Asylum, its now a bandwagon for freeloaders and anyone with more money than genuine football history. By all means lets encourage emerging nations, but that does not mean we have to let them run it !
  • The Prince Phillip of football.

The problem will be for, say, German, Brazilian or Dutch gays whose team could well go all the way to the Final meaning those fans will have to keep their todgers tucked away for a whole month. English gays are safe in the knowledge that they will be back home after the group phase so there will be less of a demand on them.
  • "were here, were queer, get used to it"

might just be one of the harder chants to start at the footy!?
  • It is also illegal to have sex if you are not married, so its not just the gay community that need to keep their todgers in their pants, at least nobody is going to have an accidental drunken shag as alcohol is banned too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]It is also illegal to have sex if you are not married, so its not just the gay community that need to keep their todgers in their pants, at least nobody is going to have an accidental drunken shag as alcohol is banned too.

I don't even think it matters if you have sex or not. I think homosexuality is illegal and that's that.

Odds on the alcohol ban will be lifted, or they will turn a blind eye to it.
  • I think they've already said the alcohol ban will be lifted for the World Cup.

There are people laughing at the press conference. Don't know if I'm alone on this, but I don't get the joke. If it was a bloke down the pub, maybe yeah, but the head of a large worldwide organisation speaking at a press conference?
  • [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I think they've already said the alcohol ban will be lifted for the World Cup.

...and Ramadan cancelled...what a joke.

Blatter reminds me of Berlusconi. I bet they're mates. Can't lay straight in bed at night he's so bent.
  • Why would Ramadan be canceled?
  • It wouldn't, I'm being flippant. You can be sanctioned for selling alcohol any other time unless the world cup arrives. Isn't it against their religious principles, that is until the world cup is in town? Seems strrange they wouldn't make the same concession for the gay community - in fact, maybe they'll surprise us...
  • Sponsored links:

• Outside of the pages of the tabloids (and on here) alcohol isn't to be sanctioned for the world cup in Qatar as it's legal right now. Blatter's a bit of a clown, but it's all a hooha about nothing. I don't recall any of the tabloids numbering the various bidders attitude to homosexuality as a key matter in the awarding of the tournament. It wasn't that long ago that the likes of Ambrose, Cole and Le Saux were slated here for suspected gayness. Of course its wrong, it's just that it's suddenly become an issue since the award of the tournament - and let's face it, this happens every time a tournament goes outside the traditional areas - the Yanks weren't going to bother watching matches and would insist the games were split into quarters (the most attended WC in history, still using traditional 2x 45 minutes) and SA was going to be a bloodbath.
  • God Save The Queen could be confusing.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Outside of the pages of the tabloids (and on here) alcohol isn't to be sanctioned for the world cup in Qatar as it's legal right now. Blatter's a bit of a clown, but it's all a hooha about nothing. I don't recall any of the tabloids numbering the various bidders attitude to homosexuality as a key matter in the awarding of the tournament. It wasn't that long ago that the likes of Ambrose, Cole and Le Saux were slated here for suspected gayness. Of course its wrong, it's just that it's suddenly become an issue since the award of the tournament - and let's face it, this happens every time a tournament goes outside the traditional areas - the Yanks weren't going to bother watching matches and would insist the games were split into quarters (the most attended WC in history, still using traditional 2x 45 minutes) and SA was going to be a bloodbath.

The quality of the tournament isn't really the issue here. Personally, I don't give a toss whether it turns out to be a 'good' WC or not (usually has little to do with the country in which it's held anyway). What is the issue is the handing of such opportunities to countries with such questionable human rights policies and then making a joke about them in front of the world's media.
  • [cite]Posted By: bloodnut[/cite]"were here, were queer, get used to it"

might just be one of the harder chants to start at the footy!?

We're here, we're queer and we can't have a beer
  • Going slightly off-topic, I do find it quite amazing that in the 21st century when homosexuality is more open and people are not ashamed of their preferences that it's still a big taboo in the world of football. There's probably hundreds of professional players in this country alone that are gay but will never admit to it. Here's a question to you all......would it bother you or change your opinion if one of our players came out and admitted he was gay? Doesn't bother me one bit who he's putting his sausage into.
  • The sooner we get rid of this crooked moron and breakaway from the nest of grubby chancers that is FIFA, the better.

The fact that Blatter thinks that the attitude to equality that they have in Qatar is funny andf not a serious issue just proves what an absolute nob he is.
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]Going slightly off-topic, I do find it quite amazing that in the 21st century when homosexuality is more open and people are not ashamed of their preferences that it's still a big taboo in the world of football. There's probably hundreds of professional players in this country alone that are gay but will never admit to it. Here's a question to you all......would it bother you or change your opinion if one of our players came out and admitted he was gay? Doesn't bother me one bit who he's putting his sausage into.

Wouldn't bother me as a fan...but that's not the issue is it.

The gay player in my example, let's call him for arguments sake, John O'Shea, doesn't care what the average fans thinks while sitting in his armchair at home.

What he will worry about is the endless chanting & abuse he'll get (Paul Birch with his flowing locks got relentlessly "ooooo-eeeee" in 88 I think it was) which will affect his game.

Add to that the dynamics in the changing room, the banter & stick he'll get (football dressing rooms aren't the most PC & sensitive of places) and possible wind ups from opposition players.

That's why they don't come out.
  • Very unfortunate comment if you present yourself who wants to broaden the game and represent equality and fairness. It would probably be enough to get rid of him in any accountable organisation and the fact that he can get away with these comments demonstrates everything! And how do we get rid of the FIFA self interested gravy train that has formed - the answer is that everybody has to unaffiliate themselves which is never going to happen. The only other way things will change is for Blatter to retire or drop dead and hope his replacement is a reformist - the head of FIFA is a bit like the Pope.
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]...bother you or change your opinion if one of our players came out and admitted he was gay? Doesn't bother me one bit who he's putting his sausage into.

I'd have Gok Wan as our traget man, Alan Carr tucked in behind him and Graham Norton as our stopper if it meant we get out of this tin pot division.

I genuinely think that society and football have progressed to the point where a players sexuality doesn't really mean an end to their career a la Fashunu these days (the odd idiotic element excepted)
  • Wasn't Blatter VERY close to losing in 2002 I think it was?

Looked like he was off & I THINK it may well have been someone from Qatar who was going to oust him but then decided not to run and Blatter got in with no opposition?

It's as dodgy as fuck, but whilst people are happy to line their own pockets for doing nothing, not a lot will change.

& if we're being honest with ourselves, it can't be easy to turn all that easy life, easy money, down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Interestingly, the decriminilization of homosexuality didn't happen in this country until after the World Cup was held here. I don't recall it being a massive issue. Of course the press won't allow such facts to get in the way of their bluster. Our society is more progressive now so any that aren't are evil and backward. Same as the sneering at East and South European racism forgetting it was quite the thing here (a far more multi-racial society) 25 years ago.
  • What is an issue today and what was over 40 years ago cannot be compared. It's like saying that the Nazi's were given the Olympics so it is ok to offer them now to an unnaceptable regime such as in North Korea. If you are a multinational organisation that proports to want to make a diffenece you need to stand up against all forms of dsicrimination - we you need to if you are accountable to anybody which FIFA isn't really is it.

What is a good point that has been made is that if many of us were on that gravy train, would we be any different. Some would but not sure I would be one of them. It's human nature to look after you and your own.
  • Pink Lions are screwed then
  • So the World cup is to go to racist Russia and queer hating Qatar, courtesy of bung taking Blatter.
  • [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]So the World cup is to go to racist Russia and queer hating Qatar, courtesy of bung taking Blatter.

Don't worry the legacy it will leave for Qatar when they burn up a 3rd of the worlds oil reserves to build and maintain air conditioned stadiums for 1 month and then pull them apart to send them away to whoever will have them. It will be worth it
  • [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]So the World cup is to go to racist Russia and queer hating Qatar, courtesy of bung taking Blatter.
    I'm not sure - but I THINK the word you're looking for there is 'homophobic', rather than 'queer-hating'. Unless, of course, you were trying to be 'funny' or 'edgy' (which you weren't)
  • edited December 2010
  • Blatter is now suggesting playing the Qatar World Cup in the winter as it's too hot there in the summer.

You couldn't make it up.
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]So the World cup is to go to racist Russia and queer hating Qatar, courtesy of bung taking Blatter.
    I'm not sure - but I THINK the word you're looking for there is 'homophobic', rather than 'queer-hating'. Unless, of course, you were trying to be 'funny' or 'edgy' (which you weren't)

No way, are u for real? Gays call themselves queer, have u heard of Boy George?. You must be in your 70s with a comment like that. U obviously can't see the Qs, Rs and Bs in my post, tut.
  • [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]So the World cup is to go to racist Russia and queer hating Qatar, courtesy of bung taking Blatter.

No way, are u for real? Gays call themselves queer, have u heard of Boy George?. You must be in your 70s with a comment like that. U obviously can't see the Qs, Rs and Bs in my post, tut.
    But - and here's the irony - I'm guessing you're not homosexual yourself - correct?