Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gavin Peacock - Fantastic Article

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/gavin-peacock-calling-fires-journey-from-wembley-to-pulpit-2148612.html

Even those of us that are of an agnostic or atheist leaning will find it hard to read this article and not feel a huge amount of admiration for Gavin Peacock.

Keith Peacock sure has a son to be proud of there.

Comments

• I live not a million miles away from Canmore...is a beautiful place. Great article. Is inspiring to hear how people completely transform their life and go for a complete change.
  • Remember playing against him at school level.Pleased he made it,but surprised as there were a few players on the circuit who were a bigger handful! Shows what I know lol! Hope hes not on a trip home at the moment hell think hes back in Canada!
  • The thing that goes through my head is what does Keith think of his rebirth,in fact are they still in touch.
  • Interesting piece, i may be wrong but i'm sure our very own Oakster also plays for that Canmore United 5 a side team. Small world.
  • What is studying Theology? Are the universities/colleges that teach/award degrees recognised by anybody else as being proper centres of learning? Do they consider all arguments, theories and relegions or is it just christianity?

Why would you be any more proud of a son who did this than anything else? He was a footballer, now he has moved to a beautiful place in Canada to study. So what.
  • Cant help but admire the man....thats some sea change.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]What is studying Theology? Are the universities/colleges that teach/award degrees recognised by anybody else as being proper centres of learning? Do they consider all arguments, theories and relegions or is it just christianity?

Why would you be any more proud of a son who did this than anything else? He was a footballer, now he has moved to a beautiful place in Canada to study. So what.[/quote]

Theology is the study of the scriptures and teachings of a particular religion. As for whether it is recognised by other institutions, it depends where he's studying. I went to Uni to study Theology & Religious Studies and the degree I have is just is as recognised as any other University Degree in English, Biology, Maths, etc. I don't know how well regulated the system is in Canada, but if he's studying Hebrew and Greek, it sounds like he's doing a serious course.

As for whether his dad should be proud or not, well that depends on your views on religion. Personally I'd say he's doing something more valuable and constructive than the usual ex-footballer routes of pundit, reality TV contestant, tabloid paper fodder etc but I realise not everyone will agree.
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]The thing that goes through my head is what does Keith think of his rebirth,in fact are they still in touch.

Of course they're in touch, Keith IS god.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Interesting piece, i may be wrong but i'm sure our very own Oakster also plays for that Canmore United 5 a side team. Small world.

Indeed - he's a very nice guy, still an awesome player and his son is an excellent defender. He also coaches the high school team and took them to the provincial final this season for the first time ever.
  • He seems like a nice bloke (and of course is the son of a CAFC legend). Good luck to him if that's what he wants to do.
  • Sponsored links:

• I laugh at religious teachings, gone down in my estimation. I always thought he came from a realistic family, with my family knowing the Peacocks well.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Interesting piece, i may be wrong but i'm sure our very own Oakster also plays for that Canmore United 5 a side team. Small world.

Indeed - he's a very nice guy, still an awesome player and his son is an excellent defender. He also coaches the high school team and took them to the provincial final this season for the first time ever.

Any chance of us signing up Peacock junior?
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]What is studying Theology? Are the universities/colleges that teach/award degrees recognised by anybody else as being proper centres of learning? Do they consider all arguments, theories and relegions or is it just christianity?

Why would you be any more proud of a son who did this than anything else? He was a footballer, now he has moved to a beautiful place in Canada to study. So what.

The fact that he is studying theology is totally irrelevant to the wider point.

The point is that Gavin Peacock could have sat on his arse being a "football pundit" for the rest of his days and made a very comfortable living - albeit one that is just about as shallow and meaningless as possible.

Instead, he took the road far less travelled and taking himself well outside his comfort zone to become a minister of religion in a country where nobody knows him and he can't rely on the old "Do you know who I am?" routine.

I am a stone cold atheist but I have huge respect for Gavin because he is actually making full use of the life he has been given rather than sitting back and taking the easy option.
  • Would've found it more inspiring if he was in an inner city in this country to be honest, but heyho and all that.
  • Strange that we never signed him after the Gills. He is intelligent and is now following a passion that will not harm anyone and may well do a lot of good. Hats off to him.
  • Good luck to him.

He will be judged for his abilities as a pastor in Canada rather than the novelty value of an ex footballer whose "got" religion which would be the case over here.

A giant leap of faith in all senses of the word for which he deserves the utmost respect from us all regardless of whether or not we personally believe in God.
  • My fave preacher:
  • Religon, not my cup of tea. But he's not harming anyone, so good luck to him.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Good luck to him.

He will be judged for his abilities as a pastor in Canada rather than the novelty value of an ex footballer whose "got" religion which would be the case over here.

A giant leap of faith in all senses of the word for which he deserves the utmost respect from us all regardless of whether or not we personally believe in God.

My point entirely, Len.

He could have carried on with the punditry BS on the Premier League bandwagon - think Jamie Redknapp - earning a very decent six-figure income.

Instead, he will be on a very modest wage as a minister and has admitted in the article that he has used much of his footballing wealth to fund his new life.
  • Guess it says more about me than him but my overall feeling is what a waste. Not leaving the superficial world of professional football but spending a life preaching. Although, i have to say i feel that way about anyone who devotes their life to religion. Everything good you do is god working through you, anything bad you do is you being a sinner or the devil working through you and then you spend your life waiting for the day you can die and, hopefully, enjoy yourself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gavin is still a pastor in Canada and great interview with him in in this week's Premier League World programme on Sky Sports including a mention from him of how great it was for him to finally wear our red shirt.
  • edited June 2018
    I know the Peacock family through my Martial Arts club, I used to teach/grade Gavins son Jake and daughter Ava.
    They are a lovely family and they all supported Jake and Ava at their MA's gradings and tournaments.
    I remember on one grading day Gavin arrived with Luca Vialli to watch and support, that was a surreal moment. Keith was always there supporting the kids too.
    I won't comment on Gavins religious direction, thats his life choice, other than to say its not for me.
    Jake is a very talented man, despite his disability, and was fighting in front of big crowds, he now has his own Gym where he teaches Kickboxing, Muay Thai and MMA, his students are doing very well and progressing towards the UFC Octagon, if all things are equal.
    He definitely gets his focus and dedication from Gavin.

For those that are interested, check out Jake, a chip off the old block.

https://www.dunamismartialarts.com

https://www.facebook.com/dunamismartialarts/videos/1839240229453174/

• I think it’s a brave move for anyone to completely change their life, so great credit to him for doing so. I just find it hard to really understand how anyone still believes in god today but that’s just me.

I didn’t realise he played for us.
  • Blimey I feel old - I've just seen that Gavin was 50 last November. Mind you Keith is still only 73 so that makes me feel a little better!
  • I think it’s a brave move for anyone to completely change their life, so great credit to him for doing so. I just find it hard to really understand how anyone still believes in god today but that’s just me.

Briefly.

Yep. From the early seventies to mid eighties in three spells. Ended up as the club's all-time leading scorer, but got in trouble for having a scrap with Mike Flanagan.
  • He's a bloody brave man for saying that on twitter let alone out loud

If I did either my wife would give me a swift kick in the balls for that sort of comment
  • Well done Gav. Don’t let fact and truth get in the way of faith. Sounds like a complete and utter donut. Met his dad on holiday once, great man and a real legend.