Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Urban myths and legends

Was talking about this with a mate the other day. I remembered sometime in the 80s the myth about the Chelsea Smilers going round schools (including primary school which i was at at the time) and praying on victims who didnt support chelsea/ laugh at a joke or something like that.

Ha ha those were the days.

Comments

• When i was younger my cousin told me that Skeletor lived in the woods on Shooters Hill....but it was okay cos He-Man was from Falconwood!

and i believed him.
  • Chelsea smiliers in there blue van with the acid smailey face on it, phone card and vinegar.. remember that one well.
  • I was at school in the 80s and the same rumour went around my school.

If I remember rightly, the rumours were about the boys from Picardy school who were roaming the streets after school giving kids they didn't like Chelsea grins, which involved cutting the edges of people's mouths and then kneeing in the goolies, with rather nasty results!

Weird how these things get around, and how widely believed it was, but a lot of my kids were really panicked about it - can remember at least one of my mates bring a bloody great big Rambo knife in so that he didn't go down without a fight.
  • [cite]Posted By: SaoPauloAddick[/cite]If I remember rightly, the rumours were about the boys from Picardy school who were roaming the streets after school giving kids they didn't like Chelsea grins, which involved cutting the edges of people's mouths and then kneeing in the goolies, with rather nasty results!

This went round our school as well (all girls!). Caused so much "panic" that we were called into assembly and told we could wear 'Mufty' the next day, which caused mass laughter all around until it was explained that it meant your own clothes instead of uniform!
  • Christ, I remember this one too. Of all the old bollocks that goes round because of the internet now, this is one of my favourites. Just waiting for it to fume back round via Facebook... you know its on the way!
  • Actually I'm a teacher these days, so a concerned whisper in a year 7s ear and we could have mass panic all over again!
  • It's probably the year 7s that are the Chelsea smilers...
  • Sao Paolo
    Are you teaching in Brazil then?
  • has to be the white lady of burrage road many a young person adamant they had seen her

or the ghost that people used to say was by the blackwall tunnel rumour was numerous drivers had run someone over by the tunnel when they got out there was no one there
  • edited October 2010
    there was also a big old dog that was rumoured to live in the sewer tunnle in the ravine by the lake on plumsted common, was brave enough to go round the water but i used to brick it when we got near the sewer tunnel
  • Sponsored links:

• Had the Chelsea Smilers rumour at our school.

Also remember a very odd disheveled old bloke called 'Nutty Kirby' from Slade Green allegedly, who used to appear at a lot of local kent league football games wearing a long coat and was rumoured to carry a gun under the coat.
  • couple of local charlton ones, firstly the witches stairs on charlton church lane,the rummour was if you walked down them and counted the steps the next time you went down there would be one less step, if you did this enough times there would be no steps and the witches would take you away, me and my sisters did this numerous times and there would be less steps, or perhaps we were so young that you couldnt remember how many you counted the last time.
    the flats next to the rose of denmark opposite where halfords used to be we used to cut through them walking home from asda as a short cut, as you went throught the main doors there was a big cupbaord under the stairs on the door there was a note that said any children making noise or playing ball games in this area will be locked in here for eternity and the key thrown away, nice..
    'Weasel' was an intersting character if anyone from SE7 around my age ever came across him tall white guy with a mad brown scraggy bead always had a manky carrier bag with him, also there was a rumour that there was a deaf bloke in the same block of flatts as weasil that if you knocked on his door and pointed to your wrist ala look at my watch he would give you a pound then close the door..
  • We had Picardy school Chelsea smile rumours over at Wilmington grammar - quite how secondary school kids would get from erith to Wilmington in their lunch hour seems to have not crossed our minds
  • Weasel I think I remember him used to walk around woolwich.
    Wasn't he the bloke who used to shout kill the kids at you

Anyone remember the black trampy fella he had dirty dread hair can't for the life of me remember his name he was always in woolwich
  • The Ghost on Bluebell hill, and the famous nutter from Darenth Valley mental hospital and the broken down car
  • The broken down car and escaped mental patient was also popular in our school in Barnsley.

There was once a fire next to the reservoir in our village in which an elderly woman died. Years later, she was said to have returned to the nearby woods to seek out revenge against the locals for not helping her escape the fire that took her life. If you ever chanced upon her, then she would kill you...... Many youngsters had claimed to have seen the ghostly glow in the woods on a summer's evening, and she became known as 'the blue lady'.
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]The Ghost on Bluebell hill, and the famous nutter from Darenth Valley mental hospital and the broken down car

That Bluebell hill woman has done the rounds for years, a girl I went to school with ended up in the paper because her, and her mum and sister reckoned they ran it over.

If you ever are up the bit this white ghosty woman is meant to inhabit after dark around about this time of year it is sinister

Ultimately though, it is a good place for imaginations to go crazy
  • anyone remember the stories last year, of a strange figure seen mooching around the valley.

think it was called the geordie smiler.
  • no but i remember a ghostly defender called corey. never see him though ever
  • Floyd - Nope, I'm teaching in the far more exotic Medway towns. The Sao Paulo bit goes back to when I lived there a few years ago...