Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Remembering Sam Bartram: Erith Library 19th August

Went to the Sam Bartram heritage project today and among the guests that are participating in producing a book on Sam through the Heritage Lottery Fund
I took my camera and as well as the group thet included someone that went to Sam's wedding was Roy Hobson captain of the Charlton C team which included Gary Nelson,Mark Penfold and Benjamin Odeje who Roy claims was the first black player to play for an England football team. As Roy wrote...Benjamin Odeje was the FIRST black boy to play football for England Schoolboy U15's in the 1970/71 season. I played No 5 behind Benjamin Odeje's No 9 for Blackheath Schools in the 1970/71 season and then also for Charlton Athletic/Great Britain in the 1971/72 season Centenaire du Havre Athletic Club Tournament

The educational project regarding Sam will :
Preserve and catalogue the archive to make it accessible to the public
Create an educational booklet entitled "Bartram, the Blitz and Beyond"
Make an animated film based on Bartram, Charlton Athletic and WW2
Perform a specially written play on Bartram's career and the war
Work with the National Literacy Trust to collect stories from supporters about their memories of either watching or playing with Bartram at Charlton. These will then be used in an illustrated book "CAFC: Bartram and Beyond"
Develop a touring exhibition to visit libraries and schools in Bexley borough

I also spoke to John Rooke Charltons former kit man.

I hope to post some photos today/tommorow.
The next session is:
Monday, August 23rd at Welling Library, Bellegrove Road, Welling DA16 3PA (1-4pm)

Good to see Sam remembered like this.

Comments