Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woolwich Arsenal

Read this elsewhere.....

Near where I live there's a development of flats down on the riverside. It's the old Royal Arsenal site and just recently, and not before time, they've had a flash new pub/bistro open called the Dial Arch. Outside the entrance to the pub is a plaque commemorating the fact that its the spiritual home of Arsenal AFC.

I was in there on Saturday afternoon at about 3.30 for a cheeky pint whilst shopping down in Woolwich. As I approached the bar I saw two lads, I'd say they were about 14 or 15 years old. Both were wearing Arsenal replica tops. Both looked quite upset and were discussing something with the bar staff whilst pointing to a tube map...

It seems that they were on their way to the Emirates Stadium to watch a game of football that afternoon. Not being from London they'd asked at London Bridge how to get to Arsenal and had been told by a (no doubt Spurs supporting) member of staff to make their way here...

Comments

• lol.....oh what a shame
  • Plastics.. gotta love 'em
  • I just laughed out so loud in the office, everyone turned around...ahem.
    Thats brilliant. I want to buy the guy who directed them a beer.
  • Oh that has really made my day.

Thank you thank you thank you.
  • Serves 'em right!

GH will love this!!!
  • Superb love to av been there they would av got some proper stick ,typical arsenal supporters .
  • Sponsored links:

• I was once asked for directions by a couple of Spurs fans who'd been walking up and down Tottenham Court Road for about an hour looking for the ground....
  • Standing about 100yds away from Liverpool St, i was asked last year by a couple of yanks for the way to Liverpool Station, and i was fighting the urge to stick them on the Northern Line to Euston and then 3hrs on a Virgin train !
  • Listen it was direct em to the real Arsenal or get the petrol can--- so im geting mellow in my old ageand sent em to the real Arsenal.
  • You, mellow?
  • I once worked with a girl who thought Brighton was in South London... Mind you, she was thick as pigshit and used to drink grass for lunch.
  • Davy.. you have a great deal of patience. I would have stropped off a lot earlier listening to that stupidity.
  • I wish i could get off earlier Curb it but it was a fast train from Ladywell to London Bridge and the nutter got on at Ladywell :(
  • Refering to the original post. We popped in to the Dial Arch for a quick drink Saturday afternoon. Blimey what a fancy place. Spent a lot of money on it. Will give it another try... 3.40 for a pint so not cheap but i suppose there is a reason for that.

Dial Arch
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Refering to the original post. We popped in to the Dial Arch for a quick drink Saturday afternoon. Blimey what a fancy place. Spent a lot of money on it. Will give it another try... 3.40 for a pint so not cheap but i suppose there is a reason for that.

Dial Arch

Spend quite a bit of time in there, good food in there, and it's keeping the more dodgy parts of Woolwich away as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Those prices i would imagine.

have you tried the Sunday lunch yet? any good?
  • Popped in there a few times for lunch during the week, bit pricey but worth it as it gives you the impression your not actually in Woolwich anymore.
  • Might be a good place to meet for a mighty breakfast and beerfest on a big match day!
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Those prices i would imagine.

have you tried the Sunday lunch yet? any good?

It's good, the shared lunches look good too, might try one out next time we're down there
  • Definitely not worth a new thread, so I thought I'd revive this one - anyone interested in broader SE London football history might like to know about this event at the Old Mill in Plumstead on Tuesday 11 December about Arsenal's early days in the area: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/royal-arsenal-champions-of-the-south-event-tickets-52859619545
  • Curb_It said:

Refering to the original post. We popped in to the Dial Arch for a quick drink Saturday afternoon. Blimey what a fancy place. Spent a lot of money on it. Will give it another try... 3.40 for a pint so not cheap but i suppose there is a reason for that.

Dial Arch

£3.40 a pint in 2010. Blimey, I bet it’s over a fiver in there now.
  • I was walking down Borough High Street and was stopped by a confused motorist who was looking for Kensington. As opposed to Kennington where he was actually heading!
  • Definitely not worth a new thread, so I thought I'd revive this one - anyone interested in broader SE London football history might like to know about this event at the Old Mill in Plumstead on Tuesday 11 December about Arsenal's early days in the area: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/royal-arsenal-champions-of-the-south-event-tickets-52859619545

Thanks, Inspector, looks interesting.

I hope they confront WAFC's betrayal of South London and only refer to the North London splitters as MK Arsenal though.
  • If Arsenal hadn't cleared off, would Charlton have ever developed into a decent league club? Or would there have been space for both clubs, after all Chelsea, Fulham and QPR are all very close to each other, while Brentford aren't that far away. Similarly West Ham and Leyton Orient are close together.
  • If Arsenal hadn't cleared off, would Charlton have ever developed into a decent league club? Or would there have been space for both clubs, after all Chelsea, Fulham and QPR are all very close to each other, while Brentford aren't that far away. Similarly West Ham and Leyton Orient are close together.

I believe that Charlton, Chelsea & palarse were all formed in 1905.