Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

matt tees

edited August 2010 in General Charlton
anyone remember matt tees . Tall ,skinny but as brave as a lion. what a centre forward.

Comments

• Signed from Grimsby Town with Rodney Green. Injuries got in the way of the goalscoring pair.

He was the best header of the ball we've ever had and could hang in the air.

They lined up at the opposite edge of the penalty area for corners and ran at defenders to attack the ball.
  • edited August 2010
    Fantastic header of the ball, not a bull of a man, rather slender and rangy, his partnership with Ray Treacy yielded some memorable times, and especially some absolute wonder goals.
  • Was great in the air. As was Ron Saunders.
  • my childhood hero.

He published a small biography a couple of years ago.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]He published a small biography a couple of years ago.[/quote]

I didnt know about the biography.......I will do some googling.

I don't think it is going too far to say that he was one of the Charlton greats. Always tried hard and as already said, he could hang in the air like no one else. Not great on the ground, but always difficult for defenders to mark.
  • It was called "Matt Tees on Football" and seems to have been a booklet rather than a full-blown autobiography.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Matt-Tees-Football-Brave-hearted-Airdrieonians/dp/1902871146
  • i remember one afternoon coventry kicked him all round the valley. and george curtis knocked him into the old stand.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: happyvalley[/cite]i remember one afternoon coventry kicked him all round the valley. and george curtis knocked him into the old stand.[/quote]

Absolutely correct, happyvalley. Cliff Myers scored for Charlton in-off the post, but we lost to the Coventry thugs 2-1.
  • Skinniest legs on a Centre Forward I have ever seen!
  • Matt lives in Cleethorpes with wife May (also Scottish). He settled in the resort after spells at Grimsby Town and non-league Boston United. His two sons were both good footballers though not professional standard. Matt's illustrated booklet is available (price £3 inc postage) from publisher James Wright, 33 Parker Street, Cleethorpes, N.E. Lincs DN35 8TH.
  • Sponsored links:

• loved his partnership with ray treacy.

was there, when they both scored against promotion winning derby county, managed by old big head cloughie. treacy's goal was fantastic and matt's goal clinched the match for us. one of those games that live in the memory.

if i remember right, hadn't matt lost most of his front teeth?
  • I remember Ray Tracey bombing down the left wing, he had just passed the old stand and the next second the ball was in the back of the covered end net - what a goal, can't remember which match though.
  • I may need some back up on this, but I believe he started in glasgow (Rangers) and he was spotted in a dockyard or factory during his lunch break heading balls against some big doors the workers used as goals. Apparently a phenomenal jumper/hanger in the air (Aizlewood had this quality too).
  • I'm sure it was Matt Tees who when the opposing keeper was about to take a goal kick Matt, who must have been off the pitch ran up and scored before the keeper kicked the ball.

Obviously it didn't count but can you imagine that happening these days?

Anyone else remember this or is my memory playing tricks?

Ray Treacey is one of my all time favourites by the way.
  • Me as a kid watching at The Valley:

"Dad, why is he called Matt?"

"Because he's always on the floor, son".
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Me as a kid watching at The Valley:

"Dad, why is he called Matt?"

"Because he's always on the floor, son".[/quote]

If he had played in the Johnstones Trophy and scored it would have been a Matt Finish.
  • [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]I remember Ray Tracey bombing down the left wing, he had just passed the old stand and the next second the ball was in the back of the covered end net - what a goal, can't remember which match though.

i think that's the goal he scored against derby, you describe it almost how i remember it. one minute it was at his feet and the next in the back of the net. i'm not sure if he meant it as a cross but what the heck, who cares, fantastic goal.
  • his nickname was lino---- as in carpet as in Matt. Was decades before i sussed out why they called him Lino.
  • Matt never took a penalty in his career - he said he couldn't kick the ball far enough! His brother-in-law is our former ace stopper Charlie Wright who I think now lives in Deal or somewhere on the Kent coast . Charlie's original ambition was to move to France to cycle professionally but he was spotted playing in goal by Rangers and was on his books for a while but couldn't break into the first team. He moved to Workington, then Grimsby, then The Valley.
  • And does anyone know what happened to Rod Green?
  • Sponsored links:

• Harry Rodney Green (born 24 June 1939), known as Rodney Green, is an English former footballer, born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, who played in the Football League as a centre forward for Halifax Town, Bradford Park Avenue, Bradford City, Gillingham, Grimsby Town, Charlton Athletic, Luton Town and Watford.
    Green started his career with his hometown club Halifax Town before playing for the two Bradford league sides, first Bradford Park Avenue then Bradford City. In his second full season, 1963–64, he was City's top goal-scorer, with 29 league goals and two League Cup goals including two hat-tricks.
    He left City with 39 league goals from 66 games, to join Gillingham where his 17 goals came in 33 games, then Grimsby Town, scoring 20 league goals in 65 games. His career continued at Charlton Athletic, Luton Town and Watford before he moved to South Africa
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]If he had played in the Johnstones Trophy and scored it would have been a Matt Finish.

You can't just gloss over his career. I remember once when he brushed the bar with a great effort.
    Asked about his secret ...... he said preparation was the key.
  • [cite]Posted By: redshank[/cite]His brother-in-law is our former ace stopper Charlie Wright who I think now lives in Deal or somewhere on the Kent coast . Charlie's original ambition was to move to France to cycle professionally but he was spotted playing in goal by Rangers and was on his books for a while but couldn't break into the first team. He moved to Workington, then Grimsby, then The Valley

You forget to mention ...... Sir Charlie Wright was capped by Hong Kong!
  • Congrats Matts
  • Matt is 78 years old today. The 6'4" forward played 89 games for us 1967/69.

Sure he wasn't 6' 4" but played like it.
  • Oh and happy birthday Sir. I am now gonna toast you
  • Acab said:

Err excuse me it's SIR Matt Tees please. The best header of the ball our club has ever had. If the goal he scored against Cardiff Easter Friday 1968 was on film you'd all agree. They should name some part of the ground after him, the man was a genius.

Was that the 4-1 win? If so my 1st game and the one that made me an Addick.
  • Matt Tees blow him over like apack of cards but Always get up and come back and score.

Happy Birthday Matt and many more.

Smoked a pipe aswell.