Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Basey and Mooney unlikely to return to Addicks

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8291583.Basey_and_Mooney_unlikely_to_return_to_Addicks/

Comments

• Interesting comment

"We haven’t offered Grant a contract at this particular moment and there are reasons for that so Aberdeen wanted to look at him and he goes with our best wishes"

Sounds like a more than footballing reason, the way it is phrased.
  • I wish Basey all the best but this is good news. I actually agree with the decisions Parky has made this summer so far....just as long as noone else goes.

Mooney will probably end up signing for Dagenham and become the seasons top scorer....
  • I might be naive but these comments make me believe Parky has other options and does not want either Basey or Mooney.

Basey would stay if he can't get anywhere else I suspect.
  • added to that I like Basey very very much but thought he was too slow a player even for this level. Maybe as a result of that injury something has come up that we dont know about it ?? !!
  • Basey looks incredibly unfit and out of shape. For a player of his age, even considering a lay off through injury, he really doesn't look ready for a season of football. Would Mooney want to come back?
  • Interesting about Mooney when he said that he had no plans to bring him in.. My huch is it will be Lisbie and Brodie he is looking to bring in.. Maybe them 2 and that right back from Southend have been made offers by us and all 3 are thinking it over...... Parky did say he was going to bring in 9?? I think that is 3 more to go?? Could be those 3 are the ones. Weird one but I would welcome back Lisbie at this level Didn't he score 12 goals at this level last year or the tear before?? Parky is a big admirer of him or maybe just maybe (fingers crossed) that we are in position to keep hold of that Ivory Coast player? Can he play in our country yet?? Or has he got another year to run???

Of course it could also be that he does go to Wigan as rumoured and Parky is waiting to see what fraction of that money he gets and is going for better strikers? (I have this snag there is something in the pipeline). After all we havent signed any tom dick or harry up front. Parky seems to be relaxed and totally in control
  • [cite]Posted By: Rudders22[/cite]Parky did say he was going to bring in 9?? I think that is 3 more to go??
    He'll still want 6 or 7. Most likely a keeper, right back, right midfielder and 3 strikers. That's without anyone leaving who would need replacing.

Strikers we're surely still considering Bauza and Thorvaldsson. Parky probably has a few options.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Basey looks incredibly unfit and out of shape. For a player of his age, even considering a lay off through injury, he really doesn't look ready for a season of football. Would Mooney want to come back?

where, pray tell, did he look unfit ?

[cite]Posted By: Rudders22[/cite]Interesting about Mooney when he said that he had no plans to bring him in.. My huch is it will be Lisbie and Brodie he is looking to bring in.. Maybe them 2 and that right back from Southend have been made offers by us and all 3 are thinking it over...... Parky did say he was going to bring in 9?? I think that is 3 more to go?? Could be those 3 are the ones. Weird one but I would welcome back Lisbie at this level Didn't he score 12 goals at this level last year or the tear before?? Parky is a big admirer of him or maybe just maybe (fingers crossed) that we are in position to keep hold of that Ivory Coast player? Can he play in our country yet?? Or has he got another year to run???

Of course it could also be that he does go to Wigan as rumoured and Parky is waiting to see what fraction of that money he gets and is going for better strikers? (I have this snag there is something in the pipeline). After all we havent signed any tom dick or harry up front. Parky seems to be relaxed and totally in control

I think Parky said he wanted to bring in another six and that was just before Daiily re-signed so that's still another 5 or possibly 6. If it's only 3 we are in big, big trouble because for starters we need 3 strikers, a keeper, a RB, a RM and a CH/LB. No-one knows exactly if the Ivory Coast player is even ours and if he were don't you think he'd have featured in pre-season so far.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Parky[/cite]Obviously it was our first 90 minutes under our belts

I'm missing something here.
  • It's a shame Basey looks like going to a Scottish team - no development fee for us :o(
  • Sponsored links:

• where, pray tell, did he look unfit ?
    Pre-season friendly against AFC wimbledon.

YST
  • As much as I didn't think Mooney was that bad, I think bringing him in would be a bad thing as he clearly divides the fans. This news is not earth shuddering and I will not be losing any sleep over it.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Parky[/cite]Obviously it was our first 90 minutes under our belts[/quote]

I'm missing something here.[/quote]

Over the course of the season most players will have amassed (sp) 90 minutes of football now
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I might be naive but these comments make me believe Parky has other options and does not want either Basey or Mooney.

Basey would stay if he can't get anywhere else I suspect.

He can only stay if he's offered a contract and my reading of that article is that Charlton have not offered him one.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Parky[/cite]Obviously it was our first 90 minutes under our belts

I'm missing something here.

I presume he means it was the first time any of our outfield players who are likely to start v Bournemouth completed 90 minutes in pre-season. I may well be wrong, and if that is what it means it's not worded clearly!
  • Basey is not wanted. Parkinson says so - obviously a question of either fitness, ability or temperement - or maybe all 3.

I don't think it's that much of a shame - always said he's not good enough for us, even in division 3.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]

Pre-season friendly against AFC wimbledon.

He played the entire 90mins v AFC though, the only player to do so on a baking hot day.

I thought he looked ok fitness wise that day considering.
  • What I find puzzling regarding Basey is that if we don't want him why has he played in our friendlies (up until going to Aberdeen) and why was he asked /invited specifically with Wagstaff (who has subsequently signed a contract) to attend pre season training with us?
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]What I find puzzling regarding Basey is that if we don't want him why has he played in our friendlies (up until going to Aberdeen) and why was he asked /invited specifically with Wagstaff (who has subsequently signed a contract) to attend pre season training with us?

beggers can't be choosers Len, this must mean that Parky has a replacement lined up who he feels is a better player (or cheaper!
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]What I find puzzling regarding Basey is that if we don't want him why has he played in our friendlies (up until going to Aberdeen) and why was he asked /invited specifically with Wagstaff (who has subsequently signed a contract) to attend pre season training with us?

beggers can't be choosers Len, this must mean that Parky has a replacement lined up who he feels is a better player (or cheaper!

Perhaps we weren't sure of getting Jackson at that stage thinking about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Basey is not wanted. Parkinson says so - obviously a question of either fitness, ability or temperement - or maybe all 3.

I don't think it's that much of a shame - always said he's not good enough for us, even in division 3.
    Not sure it's fitness or temperament. He's 22 this season, and is still back up and hasn't found his best position (and as seen on here, there are a few ideas of what that is). If he stays it'll most likely be on a reduced contract, but he might have the chance of regular football elsewhere. We've also got Jackson who can cover his positions, except centre back (where we have 3 senior players, other versatile players in Semedo and Youga, and several youngsters).

We probably can't afford to spend much in wages on a back up player like Basey.
  • I think you're probably right Scoh. It is a shame imo that we can't afford to hang onto him. I know he's 22 now so not the yougest of youngsters but I've always liked him. I know others can't see past the his pace (or lack of it) but he's got a good head on his shoulders.

I suspect he'll be another relatively late bloomer, but I expect he'll eventually peak at sort of Championship/SPL type level. Not sure how confident I am that the likes of Wagstaff or Tuna will get to that level. Maybe Solly.
  • perhaps we were doing him a favour (fitness/training) and he was doing us one, by filling in.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Basey looks incredibly unfit and out of shape. For a player of his age, even considering a lay off through injury, he really doesn't look ready for a season of football. Would Mooney want to come back?

He looked very big and red at Wimbledon
  • Fact is Basey and Jackson is a better left sided combination than Youga and Bailey, maybe Youga and Jackson would be better but it doesn't look like we'll see that. Bailey fitted a hole in left midfield but Jackson is more disciplined, albeit not going to score the same goals. Jackson on one side and Reid on the other has a lovely balance, whereby one can stay tight and assits the central two and the other helter skelters with width making teams sit back that little bit further giving us space. I don't know if Reid will be as effective on the right, although he's not the greatest crosser his speed'll have the same result on either side.

This team desperately needs assists and if Parky can't identify that he's slipped into a moron shaped Pardew hole. I'd be terribly dissapointed if we don't keep Basey. Eventually center half or center midfield is his position but in the third tier he's a much better full bcak than Solly, yet everyone gives the hope to Solly? I'd love Solly to achieve, and he has the right attitude, just I've seen him murdered by poor players such as Albert Jarrett. Basey with Jackson is a combination that can work.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Fact is Basey and Jackson is a better left sided combination than Youga and Bailey, maybe Youga and Jackson would be better but it doesn't look like we'll see that. Bailey fitted a hole in left midfield but Jackson is more disciplined, albeit not going to score the same goals. Jackson on one side and Reid on the other has a lovely balance, whereby one can stay tight and assits the central two and the other helter skelters with width making teams sit back that little bit further giving us space. I don't know if Reid will be as effective on the right, although he's not the greatest crosser his speed'll have the same result on either side.

This team desperately needs assists and if Parky can't identify that he's slipped into a moron shaped Pardew hole. I'd be terribly dissapointed if we don't keep Basey. Eventually center half or center midfield is his position but in the third tier he's a much better full bcak than Solly, yet everyone gives the hope to Solly? I'd love Solly to achieve, and he has the right attitude, just I've seen him murdered by poor players such as Albert Jarrett. Basey with Jackson is a combination that can work.

To be fair to Solly he's two or three years behind Basey in terms of age, development and first team opportunities, but i know what you mean. he another that falls into the Wagstaff category of great attitude but still got loads to learn. I think Basey looks like a senior pro these days. He still has plenty of room for improvement, but he doesn't have that air of nervousness about him, in fact the way I saw (and heard) him marshal the backline away at Hereford last season be-lied his age.

I'd agree with you Col, I think he's well worth keeping, but I can totally see the reasoning why he might considered a bit of a luxury on such a tight budget.
  • Basey has agreed terms with Aberdeen. Good riddance I say. Much better we sign a lad from West Ham and help progress their youngsters.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Basey has agreed terms with Aberdeen. Good riddance I say. Much better we sign a lad from West Ham and help progress their youngsters.
    it is all about resources and Fry may not be the best thing in the long term for the team but he is probably cheaper and is THE better thing long term for the club
  • Parky said he had his reasons for not offering him a contract so I'm not too fussed, it must have been a footballing decision (or money). Both valid imo.