Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pawel Abbott

edited July 2010 in General Charlton
On skysports it says we have had a bid accepted from oldham
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6286011,00.html

Comments

• already in the rumours thread
  • But warrants a separate post as the rumours thread is full of crap and this looks like a done deal...
  • Slightly underwhelmed but will be cheering him on like he's the second coming by the 7th I expect.
  • Not underwelmed by the signing as such its about right for the budget we have and where we are.
    Its just painful to read about some of our former players (Young,Konck,Benty) and thinking what they are paid in a week is now what our transfer budget is for a player.
  • Rather have him than ludicrously over payed average players like Eastwood and Vine. Vine had one good season at Luton, and Freddie's best seasons similar to Vine were quite a few seasons ago. If Pawel scores ten goals but knocks defenders over with physicality we'll have a much more affordable, and effective striker for us than Eastwood and Vine.

Now the real hunt would be on to get someone who might score 15 plus, alongside him. Then the right back and then the player that we can rely on to assist in most matches.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Then the right back and then the player that we can rely on to assist in most matches.
    Right back done, Simon Francis from Southend. Attacking right back apparently with a good cross, perhaps he'll offer those assists.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Then the right back and then the player that we can rely on to assist in most matches.
    Right back done, Simon Francis from Southend. Attacking right back apparently with a good cross, perhaps he'll offer those assists.

Francis at RB, JJ or KY at LB, Reid on the left wing. If we can get a skillful right midfielder who can deliver crosses and pick a pass then we're almost home and hosed imo. If we push Racon forwards a bit further than he was last year too and get him running with the ball a bit more and taking on a few shots (as he did in extra time vs Swindon) then I think we'll be capable of creating plenty of chances.

Abott would seem like the kind of player who's going to need crosses. If we can get a hard working and pacy striker whos going to keep moving and stretch teams a bit then we'll have a nice balance.

There are two bigs 'ifs' in that equation, I know, but I sense Parky has a plan and I like the look of the team he's putting together. Never ever got that feeling with Pardew for example.

Lets all keep our fingers crossed we can seal those two key signings and then get a fair wind with injuries over the season. I think our first 11 will end up being pretty strong, it's just how deep the strength will run that worries me.
  • JJ can hit assist, but from when I've seen him he's best at hitting them when he has a pacey forward to hit on the counter. I'm gutted we didn't keep Basey and JJ, who are both very tight and solid when in the right setup. Then Reid/Waggy & maybe this Southend guy would offer a more dynamic side.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Rather have him than ludicrously over payed average players like Eastwood and Vine. Vine had one good season at Luton, and Freddie's best seasons similar to Vine were quite a few seasons ago. If Pawel scores ten goals but knocks defenders over with physicality we'll have a much more affordable, and effective striker for us than Eastwood and Vine.

I think this is fair comment in many ways. Look at this way - who would Curbs have signed (in the old days at least)?

The soild pro who's been consistent if not spectacular for 90% of his career and who is available on the cheap (Abbot), or the well known player who's been dining out on past glories for a few years now (Eastwood)?

Now ask yourself who Pardew would have signed and what happened when Curbs took punts on tarnished big names like Jeffers?

Taking gambles is all well and good if your squad is strong enough to carry that player if the gamble doesn't come off. I'm not entirley convinced ours is though. Maybe signing a steady pro like Abott would give us a bit more scope to gamble on someone like Eastwood.
  • He has signed its on the OS
  • Sponsored links:

• On the OS so we do got us a striker...
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Maybe signing a steady pro like Abott would give us a bit more scope to gamble on someone like Eastwood.

All we need now is a Lloyd Sam on the right to provide the crosses and 10 assists.

;o)
  • lol don't say that Oggy, the Sam ?'ers'll be huffing and puffing in this heat. Might cause a few embolisms and palpatations.
  • I originally made this comment on the other Abbott thread before realising this thread was going.

Well that is the target man sorted, at 6'2" one would hope he will hold the ball up and win the important headers. If he ways in with a dozen or so goals as well it is a step in the right direction.

To be honest I don't remember him from when he played at the Valley for Oldham even though he was the scorer of a disallowed goal, but then it was a game not to remember.

We just need the 20+ striker now, here's hoping.
  • Francis is 6' so we look like we are going to be a more physical and bigger side. Starting to get more like a curbs side with more height, can't be a bad thing in this division.
  • I have seen him play for both Darlo and Oldham nothing special. Big but thats all
  • Don't rate him then, DJ...?

BTW, are you bringing your Exeter team up to play us Lifers again this season?
  • Not really.

I will have a word with a few people
  • [cite]Posted By: dj-ecfc[/cite]

I will have a word with a few people

Nice one. We can dust off the Charlton Life team, blow away a few cobwebs, and see who's still up for it.
    It'll be good to have another friendly match, if your lads can make it up here again.
  • So what was the verdict on Pav's 35 minute appearance at watford yesterday ....?
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Pawel could be the Polish-ed article
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]So what was the verdict on Pav's 35 minute appearance at watford yesterday ....?

torn hamstring out for the season
  • I Enjoyed Pav's Performence was a breath of fresh air!

His movement off the ball looked first class, seemd rarther qwick, done this lovely little backflick to waggy who really should have tested the keeper, when he came on, its like we took it up a gear, we was all over Watford,
  • You can get 50/1 on him being league one top scorer, not bad for an e/w bet. And even better considering the same firm (Victor Chandler) have Chris Dickson at 40/1.
  • Oooh overheard convo on train that Abbott is residing on mine & DA9's patch.

Will have to keep an eye out in Asda ;-)

Cheers to the CAFC fan on the train home for that!
  • The new Andy Hunt....you heard it here first ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Will have to keep an eye out in Asda ;-)

You could change your user name, Lil'Sis .......to Abbott in Asda