Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fan involvement wanted for matchday programme

edited July 2010 in General Charlton
As always, we're trying a few new things in the Valley Review this season, and we thought supporters might be interested in the following.

No doubt most people will have seen the story on the O/S, but I'm posting here as well to ensure as wide coverage as possible. Much obliged.

"Fancy seeing your face in Charlton’s matchday programme next season? The new-look Valley Review is working on a brand new fans’ section for the upcoming campaign - and you could be a big part of it.

All you need to do is email an image and a short message, and you could take centre stage during the 2010/11 League One season.

As a nine-month love affair with the mighty Addicks is rekindled, happy couples can share their wedded bliss with fellow fans via our new interactive outlet.

Old or young, if someone’s birthday tallies up to a matchday, then get involved and share the greetings with the Valley faithful.

And the newest members of the Addicks family can be welcomed into the world in the pages of the essential matchday companion.

Maybe you’ve been to a far-flung place modelling your favourite Addicks shirt with pride this summer. From Bondi Beach to Barnet, our award-winning matchday magazine wants to know all about it.

Holiday snaps in Charlton regalia will be gratefully received, as will pictures from our fans across the globe and Addicks-themed pets - and if you have ever been caught on camera with a Charlton celeb, then we want to see it.

Send in your pictures from away trips and from inside The Valley, and if your loved ones are serving in the armed forces overseas, then we can pay tribute to them.

Supporters should email their pictures to gary.haines@cafc.co.uk in jpeg format, together with a brief message.

Personal messages, happy or sad, and with or without images, will still be used throughout the campaign.

Fans can also send hard copies of pictures, together with a stamped addressed envelope for return, to Gary Haines, Charlton Athletic, The Valley, London SE7 8BL."

MW

Comments

• We've got our Charlton back!

I was reading a program from 1984 which, for reasons I won't go into now, resides alongside a hundred ofr so others in my old school bag which is currently under my desk at work.
    As I flicked through it I was remembering back to the days when this club was all about the fans and less about the Bertie Big Bollocks on the pitch

I don't think I am alone in liking the direction we are heading
  • Nice one, Swisdom.
  • can you, as Huddersfield did with my player analysis for their programme, airbrush my picture to make me look like Brad Pitt?
  • Great idea Matt.

I was subject of Fan Focus in the Charlton v Palace programme, the one when we sent them down, my kids got a mention too and they loved it!!
  • I'm not that bothered about fan involvement one way or the other. I think there's plusses and minus - on the positive side it's great if some kid is thrilled to be in there or if someone feels forever bonded to the club because of their inclusion. On the downside, I'm not always convinced that it makes the most interesting reading, so there needs to be a balance between the fan stuff and other stuff.

The main thing for me would be to see Colin Cameron back. His was always the most informative and interesting part of the programme - I really missed his column last year. As for the Bertie Big Balls items, I quite like something that tells us what the players do and think away from football. But I do have one request for Mr Wright. Please do not ask the same questions every week. When I read 23 times a year that Scott Wagstaff or Chris Dickson, or whoever it'll be this season, is the worst dressed player at the club I do start to wonder wtf I've bought a programme for.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I'm not that bothered about fan involvement one way or the other. I think there's plusses and minus - on the positive side it's great if some kid is thrilled to be in there or if someone feels forever bonded to the club because of their inclusion. On the downside, I'm not always convinced that it makes the most interesting reading, so there needs to be a balance between the fan stuff and other stuff.

The main thing for me would be to see Colin Cameron back. His was always the most informative and interesting part of the programme - I really missed his column last year. As for the Bertie Big Balls items, I quite like something that tells us what the players do and think away from football. But I do have one request for Mr Wright. Please do not ask the same questions every week. When I read 23 times a year that Scott Wagstaff or Chris Dickson, or whoever it'll be this season, is the worst dressed player at the club I do start to wonder wtf I've bought a programme for.

Agreed.
    I might even start buying one again if Colin Cameron is brought back or even " 101 things you didnt know about Charlton" Untrue , True facts!.
    I stopped buying one when they had some Chaplin quoting section from the bible on the back page.
    I don't want my kids exposed to that or any other religious tripe.
    Another thing is that i think the £5 programme that includes a handbook is wrong. Do you think Bournemouth fans want a Charlton Handbook ? I know Wycombe fans at the start of last season thought it was wrong and i have to agree with them.
  • I often a have read of some of my old programmes from the 70's and 'fan's spotlighted' were often a feature, I might scan a few and see if they come on here..
  • If anyone has a Barnsley at home programme from 1983 you will see me as a mascot - aged 14 ( taller then than most of the players!). I lost it years ago ( the programme that is!)
  • Fair enough. It's cheaper than paying someone to write something, I suppose. The whole program thing escapes me a bit, I have to say, £3 for something that takes ten minutes to read and will tell you little or nothing you didn't know takes the mickey I think but plenty buy them I suppose so fair enough. I wonder if there isn't more scope for user generated content and ask fans to send in articles. They won't be sack-the-board or boys on beer articles but if a page could be set aside for 400 words of reminiscences or predictions or storytelling it might be alright.

About the only one I buy is the first of the season as a handbook. It costs a couple more quid so I can't see why away fan are crying too much about that. Drink a pint less, buy the handbook and you're in profit.
  • [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]About the only one I buy is the first of the season as a handbook. It costs a couple more quid so I can't see why away fan are crying too much about that. Drink a pint less, buy the handbook and you're in profit.

Why would a Bournemouth fan want a Charlton handbook?