Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Art Appreciation Thread (formally Starry Night)

Discuss

Comments

• Errr..yeah..........did your lad paint that Ben?
  • Apparently he painted this during the day from the night time view from the window of his sanitorium...

So he's either a crap painter, got a poor memory or was on drugs...
  • edited May 2010
    Aaahhhhhhhhhh. Love it. Van Gogh loved watching the stars and swirls of glaxies at night. He was very ill when he painted this, and was in a mental insitution at the time and was said to show the view from his window. He took the features of the landscapes around him and put them into this composite painting. I just love it and when you see his actual paintings with their thick swirls of paint there is an incredible energy. In his letters to his brother, he apparently said he didn't like this painting, maybe it reminded him of his hellish days and nights in the mental institution. For me it's highly evocative and recalls the many enormously happy times my family and I sat out at one-o-clock in the morning in S. France watching the stars and August meteor showers. Stunning. Thank you Henry and I hope you enjoy your time at West Ham.
  • Was working in a Primary School yesterday and a class had done a display commenting on it and had written poems etc.

Wondered if the adults on here would appreciate it in the way the children had.

I agree Still Addickted and I not a huge fan of his work. It reminds me too of being in a old farm house in Southern France at night and seeing the stars without the light pollution.

And of course the song as well.
  • got to see the real thing in the van gogh museum in between mush room eating find all of his work fantastic i have a print of this on the wall indoors
  • BTW this was a state primary school on a council estate in LB Greenwich
  • Prefer the song to the painting, but unfortunately I'm a bit of a phillistine.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM

For you Covered End

Don't think preferring the song to the painting makes you a Philistine.

Music is as vital and valid an art form as painting and that includes pop music IMHO but maybe that is another debate to fill the long hot summer.
  • I like it. The wavey effect makes it look like a busy picture although there is only a few basic images. Was it Van Gogh then? Am going to Florence in Septrember will see some master pieces there not by Van Gogh though lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• You'd have thought with all his money he would have had the decency to sign it.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]You'd have thought with all his money he would have had the decency to sign it.
    'Ear 'ear.
  • edited May 2010
    An art critic commenting on the recent art thefts in Paris said he thought the theives had done everyone a favour as the paintings in question were not very good.

Anything Italian for me, or failing that anything that doesnt have 2 eyes on one side of the face. Remember that Van Goch couldnt give his painting away when he was alive...reason? Cos they were shit!
  • Never seen that before. I like it.
  • Van Gogh. The art worlds answer to Lloyd Sam. Personally I like both their work. Both full of movement.
  • Strangely enough Henry the kids in my class did some work on this painting yesterday too and one lad's effort was amazing.
  • My bowels have better movement than Van Goch!
  • [cite]Posted By: Mister Windscreen[/cite]My bowels have better movement than Van Goch!

Did you mean Lloyd Sam ;0)
  • Really like that pic and had a print of it hanging in my hall until quite recently.
  • Its called "Woolwich at sunset" was done by a guy who has a stall in Deptford market called Burt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Starry
    starry night
    paint your palette blue and grey

look out on a summer's day
    with eyes that know the
    darkness in my soul.
    Shadows on the hills
    sketch the trees and the daffodils

catch the breeze and the winter chills

in colors on the snowy linen land.
    And now I understand what you tried to say to me

how you suffered for your sanity
    how you tried to set them free.
    They would not listen
    they did not know how

perhaps they'll listen now.

Starry
    starry night
    flaming flo'rs that brightly blaze

swirling clouds in violet haze reflect in
    Vincent's eyes of China blue.
    Colors changing hue
    morning fields of amber grain

weathered faces lined in pain
    are soothed beneath the artist's
    loving hand.
    And now I understand what you tried to say to me

perhaps they'll listen now.

For they could not love you
    but still your love was true

and when no hope was left in sight on that starry
    starry night.
    You took your life
    as lovers often do;
    But I could have told you
    Vincent
    this world was never
    meant for one
    as beautiful as you.

Starry
    starry night
    portraits hung in empty halls

frameless heads on nameless walls
    with eyes
    that watch the world and can't forget.
    Like the stranger that you've met

the ragged men in ragged clothes

the silver thorn of bloddy rose
    lie crushed and broken
    on the virgin snow.
    And now I think I know what you tried to say to me

They would not listen
    they're not
    list'ning still
    perhaps they never will.
  • Beautiful. There is so much to see in it.
  • A dog's just been sick in my garden and it bears a strange resembelence to the picture above...now where's that old frame gone to?
  • boy, people are going to love next weeks picture.

I was thinking kandinsky or matisse
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Never seen that before. I like it.
    +1
  • I like the picture and I like the song.

.....I was wondering if Millwall have an art criticism thread going on their fan site?
  • Their wall graffitti is very reminiscent of Lowrey I hear.
  • You wernt at my school henners? Is it one of the pics that was nicked this week?
  • no, was at Greenacres.

Wasnt one of the stolen ones.
  • wow, after Dr Who last night it all makes sense.