Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oil City Confidential (Dr Feelgood)

edited April 2010 in Not Sports Related
Anyone else catch this, on BBC4 over the weekend? It was only in the cinema last year.

Really wonderful bit of rockumentary film making, weaving the story of the band and the story of Canvey together in a fascinating way. Didn't know much about the band, but they certainly came up with some quality riffs and had a stage presence that definitely foreshadowed punk.

Comments

• No, but I will certainly look out for the repeats! Thanks McLovin.
  • Caught the middle of it.

Seemed well worth watching.

Was never a huge fan but really enjoyed seeing them live in about 76/77 at Lewisham Town Hall.
  • That must have been awesome. Whatever happened to popular chart bands playing smaller venues? One hit single and they're in the O2 now.

*grumble grumble*
  • Private Practice - my first album. First single wasn't quite so cool.
  • I caught it when flicking around for something to watch. Really interesting insight into the music biz back, then albeit a little before my time. Blimey Canvey's not changed much!

Wilko Johnson seems to me to be fairly exhausting to be around even now, heaven knows what it was like back then.
  • Wilko was really hard work, it was sad when he was talking about his deceased wife.
  • I grew up on Canvey at about that time, so I was really disappointed when my temperamental Sky box failed on Friday night. If anyone finds out when it will be repeated, please post on here.
  • Friend of mine is involved in the film, so saw it last year - didn't know a lot about them but it was compelling!

Much as Julian Temple is a bit arty and goes off at a tangent, Wilko is captivating!

Great film, about a band who I knew little about, that influenced SO many!
  • edited May 2010
    Saw it last night at Southend Film Festival along with an old ITV film called Southend Rock. Thought it was excellent, and made just a little better by the fact that Wilko was in the audience. Your'e quite right supaclive, he was captivating. Not sure how much of it was the real man and how much was acting up, but thoroughly entertaining anyway. I did think the star of the show was Lee Brilleaux's mum though.

I thought the way the film was made was an object lesson in how to put together a documentary on a topic were (at least for the early part) there is very little original footage. The use of film noir clips set the scene well, as well as being very amusing. The animation of once-still images was sublime. The noise was great - for that reason I'm now thoroughly glad I saw it in the theatre rather that at home where I'd have felt compelled to turn the sound down.

If I'm honest it did seem a little long, but that might just be because the lease on my Guinness had expired and I spent the last 20 minutes in some discomfort. Still, well worth a look if you are into either rock music or social history. If you're into both, I'd think it's a must see.

http://www.southendfilmfestival.com/
  • Sounds excellent ... was never a great fan but fact remains that they were in many ways one of the first instigators in changing the scene from an increasingly boring prog rock one to punk ... have been under-appreciated by many so always good to see when a band like this is remembered.

I saw them in late 70's and I am sure it was in the Hope & Anchor Islington whch was one of the best gigs in London at the time ... downstairs bar and low stage. I'm sure there are a few on here that used to go to that pub.

..... and Wilko was a great front man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Used to love Dr. Feelgood. Down By The jetty is still one of my favourite albums.