Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Unwanted phone calls - Barclaycard

edited April 2010 in Not Sports Related
Someone claiming to be from Barlacycard - the same person - has rung me twice this afternoon. A bloody Sunday afternoon, when I'm trying to spend time with my family.

"Is that Mr "Off_it"
"Yes"
"Can you please confirm the year you were born"
"Why?"
"For security purposes, in order to confirm who you are"
"I know who I am, but I don't know who you are, so why would I tell you my year of birth?"
"I can't talk to you until you have comfirmed your identity"
"What do you want to talk to me about?"
"I can't say until I have confirmed your identity"
"Well, as far as I am aware there is nothing I need to talk to you about - so we're not going to get very far are we?"

The second time I went on to try to say that I wasn't trying to be rude but in this day and age I am reluctant to give out personal information without knowing what it might be about first - i.e. is it just a sales call or is something wrong with my account/card. I was just about to suggest that they write to me if it was something I need to do and the f****** b**ch just hung up on me.

Comments

• I always refuse point blank to give info to anyone who calls. Don't think you can be too careful.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Someone claiming to be from Barlacycard - the same person - has rung me twice this afternoon. A bloody Sunday afternoon, when I'm trying to spend time with my family.

"Is that Mr "Off_it"
    "Yes"
    "Can you please confirm the year you were born"
    "Why?"
    "For security purposes, in order to confirm who you are"
    "I know who I am, but I don't know who you are, so why would I tell you my year of birth?"
    "I can't talk to you until you have comfirmed your identity"
    "What do you want to talk to me about?"
    "I can't say until I have confirmed your identity"
    "Well, as far as I am aware there is nothing I need to talk to you about - so we're not going to get very far are we?"

The second time I went on to try to say that I wasn't trying to be rude but in this day and age I am reluctant to give out personal information without knowing what it might be about first - i.e. is it just a sales call or is something wrong with my account/card. I was just about to suggest that they write to me if it was something I need to do and the f****** b**ch just hung up on me.

lol. I love them kind of calls, i just wind them up untill they ask me to phone them back
  • Blantant scam Off_It. Had a few of these kind of phone calls over the years and they always hang up as soon as they realise you're not going to play ball. If you're concerned ring Barclaycard yourself and ask if there's any issues with your account you need to be made aware of - that way you know who you're talking tooo, but this sounds like a scammer trying to get hold of your personal details to me.
  • edited April 2010
    Love 'em. Just start talking bollocks - literally any old crap that comes into your head - but phrase it like you're answering their questions. They last about 20 seconds before hanging up. I've had one that was on the line for nearly a minute - by the end of it I was answering questions with things like: "The banana is definitely on the radiator. If I've told you once I've told you a lemon - don't underestimate the fish-food I'm displaying here!"
  • Had a cold caller from India I guess, trying to sell me a mobile phone. I went on to say that I would love a new phone and be able to show it off in front of my friends. He in turn insisted that this was the phone for me.
    He thought he had closed the deal, untill I went on about my washing machine being broken and having no clean clothes to go out in, therefore being unable to show of my prize toy.
    I then inquired into whether he repaired washing machines, or any members of his family.
    After about 20 mins, he hung up on me.
    Great fun these people when your sat at home thinking of something to do.
  • edited April 2010
    If you don't want cold calls, register with the Telephone Preference Service. It is free and stops 99% of them. Whisper me if you want any more details.

As for the Barclaycard call, I always refuse to confirm any of my details.
  • go onto this website http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/ and register your details, it takes you off most marketing phone lists, theres also a section on there somewhere to remove from junkmail lists, it seems to work as much of the crap we receive has slowed right down
  • It could be from their fraud dept. I had a similar call from Virgin MasterCard asking if I had used my card for certain transactions.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]If you don't want cold calls, register with the Telephone Preference Service. It is free and stops 99% of them. Whisper me if you want any more details.

As for the Barclaycard call, I always refuse to confirm any of my details.[/quote]

I'm on TPS but stioll get the calls I should complain to the tps service but its a hassle, so thats what they are working on.

I had one call that was selling me mobile phones, told him not interested, asks me if I'm Indian, y answer being no I'm a second generation indian, his answer ahhhh thats why your a cxxx and put the phone down ... charming!!
  • When people call me I have two standard replies.
    My first one, if I'm feeling a bit tetchy, is to respond on the lines of, when I need a new pair of shoes I make the decision myself, I don't need some tit calling me up to tell me I need a pair.
    My most frequent response when someone calls and asks "can I speak to Mr ....?" is to try to perform a sniff and then say, "it's so sad, he died yesterday".
    They get off the line sharpish.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]It could be from their fraud dept. I had a similar call from Virgin MasterCard asking if I had used my card for certain transactions.
    Yeah, but if it's their Fraud Department, they shouldn't mind giving you a reference number that you can quote back to the usual customer services people, so that you can phone a recognised number and quote your security details to them instead.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]It could be from their fraud dept. I had a similar call from Virgin MasterCard asking if I had used my card for certain transactions.

Had these people call my house when i was in America. My dad tried to explain that i was in America trying to use my card but they refused to talk to him and hung up. No common sense.
  • [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]Had a cold caller from India I guess, trying to sell me a mobile phone. I went on to say that I would love a new phone and be able to show it off in front of my friends. He in turn insisted that this was the phone for me.
    He thought he had closed the deal, untill I went on about my washing machine being broken and having no clean clothes to go out in, therefore being unable to show of my prize toy.
    I then inquired into whether he repaired washing machines, or any members of his family.
    After about 20 mins, he hung up on me.
    Great fun these people when your sat at home thinking of something to do.

My record is 27 minutes for a survey caller from India.
    I even had the same person call three times in one day but by the third time he'd sussed me
    As for the TPS, I've registered four times to no avail
  • when i worked nights a few years back i was woken by a caller one afternoon. she was trying to sell me some kind of insurance, she had called from a home address so i wrote her number down and called her at 3am from work. i asked her if she would be interested in buying my second hand lawn mower. she was not amused to be woken by my call so i reminded her about her bloody insurance call.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]If you don't want cold calls, register with the Telephone Preference Service. It is free and stops 99% of them. Whisper me if you want any more details.

I'm on TPS but stioll get the calls I should complain to the tps service but its a hassle, so thats what they are working on.

TPS is pretty good, but it only applies to companies based in/calling from the UK - if the company has outsourced everything to India it's a bit of a grey area...
  • [cite]Posted By: happyvalley[/cite]when i worked nights a few years back i was woken by a caller one afternoon. she was trying to sell me some kind of insurance, she had called from a home address so i wrote her number down and called her at 3am from work. i asked her if she would be interested in buying my second hand lawn mower. she was not amused to be woken by my call so i reminded her about her bloody insurance call.

Ha ha brilliant!
  • In my view TPS is good and take all complaints seriously-it doesnt eliminate all calls but it cuts them down to barely a trickle and a simple online complaint proceedure helps to generally mop up the rest.
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]As for the TPS, I've registered four times to no avail

In my experience TPS works well but it doesn't stop calls from abroad, or unscrupulous UK callers (people offering to sell you cheap mobiles or calls are the worst).