Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Legoland, Windsor

edited April 2010 in Not Sports Related
Thinking of taking the kids (7 & 2) there for my sons birthday this year and was just wondering if anyone had been recently.

They're doing packages at the moment where they offer two days at the park and an overnight stay in a choice of local (decent) hotels which, for when we want to go, weighs in at around £200 for the 4 of us (including a full English!)

Seems fairly reasonable to me, when you consider that they want 75 sheets per adult for a two-day ticket, but was wondering just how much there is to do there and whether two days might be a bit too much - although we're looking at early June so would expect it to be heaving with millions of the "little treasures"!

Also, according to their website they do a virtual queuing thing which means you get told when to go on certain rides and don't have to queue for so long. Having shelled out dough to get in it kinda goes against the grain to pay another £10 per person to avoid having to stand in queues all day, but has anyone else done this and was it was worthwhile? (although I suspect I will do it anyway for an easy life!)

Cheers!

Comments

• mate went there with kids and loved it,i think my little brother went to the one abroad or something like that .hotel is supposed to be really nice
  • yes my brother went to the one in denmark
  • By strange coincidence, one of my friends linked me to this earlier today.
  • We've been loads of times, great day out. The virtual queue is a great idea and one way of guaranteeing you get on all rides. They're all pretty tame compared to Thorpe Park/Alton Towers though.

If you can get a group together of more than 10 (I believe) then you get a bigger discount.
  • BDLBDL
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]By strange coincidence, one of my friends linked me tothisearlier today.

Superb!!
  • I have 4 children my eldest is nearly 9, they have been to Legoland many times it is quite good there and they are child concious so it is a safe place to take children. The mini-land there is great, you can see every bit of lego. what they make is brilliant. The rides there are not exactly thrill seeking rides and the queues are not massive, for the rides that you would go on with a 7 year old the extra £10 would be a waste of money, also on most of the rides there are things to look at in the queues to keep you amused. The hotel is supposed to be brilliant as well. Have fun.
  • go once a year with the kids normally when the schools have a training day, it is expensive but we tend to get the tesco vouchers and let our monthly shopping pay for the trip.

as for queues i have never been there on a school holiday so have never had a problem. I am against the principle of paying extra for priority in the queues (although i have taken advantage of it at disneyland paris),but have seen the benefit of it as well.

7 and 2 are probably good ages, although the 2yo might find there are quite a few rides they cannot go on. my advice would be get to the dragon ride early with the older one and take the younger one on the junior version. if you get there quickly after opening you get get couple of rides quite early.

also there is a bit where the kids can splash about if the weather is good so plan ahead a take some swimming gear for them as it will give you a chance to rest while they play without needing to queue.

it is a great day out for younger kids and generally less hassled than other theme parks i have been to.
  • [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite] I am against the principle of paying extra for priority in the queues ....
    Glad someone else thinks like that. It drives me nuts that a company can make megabucks out of selling someone else's place in the queue, it should be outlawed.
  • I went recently for the first time and was quite impressed. The Legoland (Mini-land) part of it is relatively small. It's all built on the site of the old Windsor Safari Park, so you enter from a hill top and it all falls away below you. Great views of Windsor Castle and there was plenty to do and see, although I can imagine it's a bit hard going in peak Summer when the place is even busier than it was three weeks ago. Tesco points can get you decent discounts and savings off what can be quite trumpy full prices. We didn't bother with the queueing robot things and didn't wait longer than ten minutes. One tip from me would be to do the popular water rides immediately after the Midday pirate show thing which attracts everyone away from the rides. It would have been nearer to a 30 minute queue for that if we hadn't dived down there the minute it finished.
  • not been but took my two nephews 3 and 7 to diggerland on tuesday. Well for 13 quid in it was such a great day for them. No queues so they want on their favourite diggers time an time again. Even my step daughter loved it aged 11. So in answer to your question i dont know but bear in mind that one for future if you not been yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]not been but took my two nephews 3 and 7 to diggerland on tuesday. Well for 13 quid in it was such a great day for them. No queues so they want on their favourite diggers time an time again. Even my step daughter loved it aged 11. So in answer to your question i dont know but bear in mind that one for future if you not been yet.

Thanks Curb it, I have been thinking of taking my grandson to diggerland but was not sure if he was too young, he is 4 but a big lad for 4 so by the sounds of it there will be things for him to do.
  • Yes there will be plenty and if he isnt tall enough an adult can get on with him. Very good value for money or a day out.
  • Saw Chris Powell at Legoland once with his family so if it's good enough for him.

It was a Sunday in summer and rammed. Horrible queues.

Went back on a school inset day and no queues at all. A good fun day.

Not sure I'd want to stay over as it's only in Windsor and not sure there is enough for two days but would avoid lots of driving in one day I guess.
  • Just back from there. Yesterday was truly horrible, absolutely heaving, monster queues, ratty kids, even rattier parents and all played out in the blazing sunshine.

Today was so much better in every respect, not so many people and slightly cooler weather. Also, invested in one of them "Q-bot" things and managed to avoid most of the queues that there were. I would definitely recommend a two day trip to get the most out of it AND getting the Q-bot. The concept kinda grated on me a bit, but after yesterday I just wanted my kids to actually go on some bloody rides so if you're only going for one day it's a must.
  • Really depends on which day you go. I took my 5-year-old last year, and thanks to the queues we managed a total of THREE rides all day. The log flume alone took exactly 2 hours to get on. Given the outragous prices they already change (£36 an adult, £24 a child) for I refused on principle to pay another £18 to queue jump. That said, I've heard other parents say queues weren't a problem - presumably they were luckier than us. Avoid going on sunny school holidays, and should be a much better experience.