Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Todays Debate - Slavery

What do we reckon?

Formal government apologies needed along with generous compensation paid or
It was abhorrent, BUT it was 200 years ago and we today can hardly be held responsible or made to feel guilty?

Comments

• get the vikings to apologise too.
  • it is all these white people chaining themselves up with the tee shirts I'M SORRY.

I just don't get it.
  • i was opening this expecting to see:

"bring it back"
  • you been listening to Talksport in bed again Chirps ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]it is all these white people chaining themselves up with the tee shirts I'M SORRY.

I just don't get it.

Is this you Arf?
  • Why should I apologise and who would I actually be apologising to?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]you been listening to Talksport in bed again Chirps ?

5Live actually, Saturday night in the bath. I was getting quite lathered up!
  • That photo is brillliant - you would throw away the key!
  • edited March 2007
    Compensation to who ?

The guy in the pic is probarbly a decendant from a slave owner/master who has inherited loads of dosh. These types of people can afford time to prounce around like a tit.
  • i never see why people bring up these debates, and what they expect to happen. They get Blair to turn round and say sorry ? Who is he saying sorry on behalf of, and to who exactly ?

This generation of people, from all race and religions, should perversely be grateful that things like this have happened in a former life. It is events such as this that teach the vast majority of us the difference between right and wrong, how people should be treated, and shapes us as the individuals that we are.

Of course everyone knows it was wrong, but you cannot change the clock now, just learn from it.
  • Sponsored links:

• we (government and/or citizens) cannot be held accountable for something that happened 200 years ago - its ridiculous. And surely paying compensation (to whoever) is just like paying a wage for slavery...

it's like us getting blamed in 200 years time for the fact that the planet is 20 degrees hotter and dolphins rule the planet. It's mental.
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Compensation to who ?

The guy in the pic is probably a descendant from a slave owner/master who has inherited loads of dosh. These types of people can afford time to prounce around like a tit.

I bet he ain't! Just some bloody do-gooder.
    Here is a quote from a descendant of a plantation owner:-
    However, Christopher Madres-Smedley, a descendant of plantation owner John Pinney, says he does not propose to apologise.

He said: "I feel very strongly that an apology is a great human act, and a very good act, but you apologise for what you have done.

"Slavery stopped 200 years ago, that's quite a lot before I was born, I am therefore in no position to apologise."
  • Slavery was of course a dreaful means of oppression and rightly outlawed in what was essentially at that stage of our world a time of harsh existence.

Sadly that oppression continues today whether that be what happened in Rawanda, Serbia, Iraqi Kurds, Morecombe Bay Cockle pickers or poor Albanian girls forced to work as prostitutes with death treats hanging over their families if they break their silence. It has happens at many levels. We cannot pay for all the worlds' ills past or present moreover face up to what has happened, apologise and never repeat again or seek to flush out the wrongdoers today and bring them to trial.

One could argue that the aid that has been pumped into the third world is a means of redress, additionally Africa has
    bigger issues to address today such has a blind ignorance to Aids or Mugabe's regime in Zimbabwe rather than a cause which was outlawed all those times ago. It was wrong too that the 'slave companies' got redress but that was how society worked then....it does though not make it right.

PS AFKA your favourite Charlton anthem sung to Amazing Grace tune, this was written by John Newton a one time Captain of a Slave trading ship who 'was once lost but now found'
  • It was more than 200 years ago and you can argue that we actually stopped it following the argument it was abhorrent, being won. Are those countries where the black population was complicit in the trade also going to pay compensation and apologise?
  • The rest of the world should be thanking us for starting the campaign to stop slavery, was still legal in America in the 20th Century yet do you see them apologise?

If 'they' want an apology then I want one from the Vikings and the Romans, what did the Romans ever do for us? ;-)
  • sink this boring thread please. its only gonna cause unrest in the ranks here. It was years ago ffs, get over it.
  • I think this article is spot on.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/features_opinion/feature%204.html
  • all this slavery talk, i blame the romans....what have they ever done for us ?
  • corporate slavery still happening anyway....

who cleans your offices eh -- how much are they paid eh ---- if they are not black they are eastern european or portugese ---- FACT
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]corporate slavery still happening anyway....

who cleans your offices eh -- how much are they paid eh ---- if they are not black they are eastern european or portugese ---- FACT

yeah, you dont see them romans doing the office cleaning do you...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2007
    Since only the upper classes actually had the vote back then, shouldn't they alone be held responsibe?

Having said that the government should apologise for past wrongs of the government, subsequent compensation claims may prevent this?
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakeysRocket[/cite]get the vikings to apologise too.

yeah, that tony curtis and kirk douglas were bang out of order...