Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Monday 12th April 2004. Liverpool 0 Charlton 1

edited April 2010 in General Charlton
Monday 12th April 2004 Liverpool 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Bartlett 63)

Liverpool: Dudek, Riise, Henchoz, Hyypia, Carragher, Kewell, Gerrard, Hamann, Diouf (Smicer 57), Owen, Heskey (Baros 57).
Subs not used: Murphy, Cheyrou, Luzi Bernardi.

Booked: Gerrard.

Charlton: Kiely, Kishishev, Hreidarsson, Young, Powell, Fortune, Holland, Jensen, Konchesky, Johansson (Euell 86), Bartlett.
Subs not used: Thomas, Royce, Cole, Perry.

Attendance: 40,003.

Referee: P Dowd (Staffordshire).

Shaun Bartlett revived Charlton's hopes of qualifying for Europe while denting Liverpool's Champions League ambitions.
Charlton stifled Liverpool's attacking impetus in the first-half and just past the hour Bartlett powered a header home from Claus Jensen's corner.

Restricted to a handful of half-chance headers from Emile Heskey in that poor opening half, Bartlett's goal prompted a more committed Liverpool response.

Dietmar Hamann had two shots cleared off the line, but Charlton held on.

Well organised and competitive, Charlton put pressure on every Liverpool player in possession, with Jensen and Matt Holland particularly industrious as the visitors succeeded in slowing the game down.

Even so it took a fine header from Jonathan Fortune to stop a John Arne Riise cross reaching Heskey on the far post.

Dean Kiely then had to smother a Michael Owen shot after the striker worked his way past two Charlton defenders.

KEY MOMENTS
63 mins: Bartlett's header gives Charlton the lead
64 mins: Charlton clear two Hamann shots off the line

Steven Gerrard also hooked over and Hermann Hreidarsson blocked a Heskey close-range header.

Charlton hit back from a corner, Jonatan Johansson forcing Jerzy Dudek into a flying save with a hooked volley on the turn.

Liverpool regained the attacking initiative and Hamann and Gerrard worked to get Riise moving down the left, and from his cross, Heskey rose to head over from eight yards.

Heskey went close again on 34 minutes afte he met another Riise cross but headed the ball down and just wide from 12 yards.

Liverpool need a fresh start just to give us some hope

Holland responded with a 25-yarder that flashed a foot wide of Dudek's right-hand post, while Gerrard also tested Kiely with a low shot.

Liverpool emerged after the interval in a similarly sluggish frame of mind and on 63 minutes Bartlett headed Charlton in front.

The South African international striker, who has scored just four league goals this season, rose to meet a Jensen corner and send a header crashing into the net.

Liverpool redoubled their attacking efforts and two Hamann shots were kicked off the line in quick succession.

But a couple more headers from Bartlett and Fortune severely tested Liverpool from further set-pieces.

Six minutes from time, Kiely produced an amazing save at his far post to beat out a substitute Vladimir Smicer header from Gerrard's cross from the left.

A minute later, it looked like Kishishev had tripped Gerrard in the box, but, as everyone expected a penalty, referee Phil Dowd booked a stunned Gerrard for diving.

The defeat left Liverpool level on points with fifth-placed Newcastle, who have a game in hand over Gerard Houllier's side.

Comments

• How times have changed :o( for us anyway liverpool are practically the same always think they should be fighting for title but stuggle to get in top four

Preferred when we done them 2-nil at ours or the 4-2? i think with lisbie hatrick
  • Having been to Liverpool in the box for our previous 2 meetings up there decided I would turned down the opportunity this time and tune in on the radio. How gutted was I when we turned them over.

JB think it was 3-2 mate
  • Happy days. I was up there in an execitive box with my bruv who had a couple of notes on Charlton 0-1 and Bartlett to score. Beating the big boys in their back yard has to be treasured.

One of my collection along with being at Highbury for the 2-4 and Old Trafford for the 0-1.

The save from Deano described below was amazing.

Six minutes from time, Kiely produced an amazing save at his far post to beat out a substitute Vladimir Smicer header from Gerrard's cross from the left.
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Having been to Liverpool in the box for our previous 2 meetings up there decided I would turned down the opportunity this time and tune in on the radio. How gutted was I when we turned them over.

JB think it was 3-2 mate

I think you maybe right lol i have a very poor memory probably due to achohol consumption
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Having been to Liverpool in the box for our previous 2 meetings up there decided I would turned down the opportunity this time and tune in on the radio. How gutted was I when we turned them over.

JB think it was 3-2 mate

It wasn't the Reebok box was it? We might have taken your seats! :-)
  • Remember it well. Never thought I'd see an Addicks win at Anfield. Some hearts in mouths moments after we scored, most notably when Gerrard went down in the box and although we all knew it was a dive, we were sure Dowd would give the pen but incredibly he made the right decsioin and booked Gerrard.

The goal was sweeter as it came from a corner that had actually glanced off Riise's head. Typical Curbs reaction to the goal, sitting stony faced reading his notes while all other managers would have been leaping about (see file marked 'Martin O'Niell') at taking the lead at such an illustrious venue.
  • ahh the good old days.......*wipes tear from eye*
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Having been to Liverpool in the box for our previous 2 meetings up there decided I would turned down the opportunity this time and tune in on the radio. How gutted was I when we turned them over.

JB think it was 3-2 mate[/quote]

It wasn't the Reebok box was it? We might have taken your seats! :-)[/quote]

No mate Ford's
  • I went there the season before, in that game we were 1-0 up with Bartlett scoring but then Robinson was brought on and Steve Gerrard scored 2 in the last 10 minutes to win it for them, their last came from a Robinson error.
  • Ive got Bartletts boots from that day in my garage
  • Sponsored links:

• Never thought I'd live to see it. To see little old Charlton win a league game at Anfield.

I was almost in tears at the final whistle.

Shame Bartlett's goal was at the kop end though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Never thought I'd live to see it. To see little old Charlton win a league game at Anfield.

I was almost in tears at the final whistle.

Shame Bartlett's goal was at the kop end though.

Same i was so happy after this result.
  • also for only around 700-1000 of us there that day, we made alot of noise. Remember that massive chant of YELLOOWWS when jensen was running up to take the corner resutling in Bartlett's goal?

BTW i still stand by that i was the one who started off that chant. I was 14 at the time :D
  • I remember it being a nailed on penalty for Gerrard?

A cracking day-to echo another poster, up there with the Arsenal 2-4 and the Chelsea 0-1s.
  • edited April 2010
    No defo wasnt a penalty! The cheating overrated sod dived as he usually does!
  • A brilliant day. Definitely wasn't a penalty. The cheat did that robert pires thing of kicking his own leg away. It was right in front of us.
    Bartlett was either 7 or 9/1 first scorer. A tenner on that meant I was able to buy a flat in Albert Dock, a bag of chips and several packs of rechargeable batteries which the charming locals are always keen to share with visitors
  • We got a few decent results against Liverpool, we became a bit of a bogey side for the scousers.
  • edited April 2010
    It was a great day out!I do miss players like Bartlett, Jensen and Deano!
  • 8 years ago. Seems like yesterday.
  • Great day - something great about their being so few of us there, going bonkers when the goal went in.
    Also was there for the 2-1 turnaround the year before? The noise when Gerrard got the winner in the last min was something else, though overall it was quiet as a morgue everytime I've been there.
    Still think I prefered the 3-3. How we didn't win that day. Classic Charlton that day - the mills run and Mendonca finish lives long in the memory, as does the Steve Jones volley!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember Stan Boardman on the pitch against us at half time ?
  • Had a tear in my eye at the final whistle, never thought I'd see us win at Anfield.

Some of the smaller teams these days seem to win there and at Arsenal for fun - we had years of heartache.
  • Still one of my favourite ever away trips. I was 15 at the time, stayed up for the weekend and insisted on wearing my Yellow away shirt out for dinner that night and around town the following day. Great memories of that match and weekend.
  • Remember Stan Boardman on the pitch against us at half time ?
    I thought that was the mid week cup game?

• i was there, got there early and sat in stanley park b4 kick off after some kids had offered to mind our car. gerrard definitely dived
  • 10 bloody years ago!
  • A forward on the score sheet as well......whatever next.
  • I got the coach up there on my own as a 16 year old, it's one of those games I'm proud to have been at.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/7408209718

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Bloodyhell ...ten years!

What a great day out that was.

I'm depressed now!!