Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Some things just have to be shared

edited March 2010 in Not Sports Related
I know we all have different tastes in music. Good thing too, in my book.

But ... if you don't know Van Morrison ... and more exactly, if you don't know his Astral Weeks album from 1968 ... I encourage you to take a listen to his re-make 'Astral Weeks: Live at the Hollywood Bowl' recorded last year.

The 1968 original has long been a favourite of mine. I put it in the top four albums that define the Sixties as they were for me - along with Dylan's 'Blonde on Blonde', Pink Floyd's 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' (we had never before heard guitar like Syd Barrett's) and the Incredible String Band's '5000 Spirits'.

Van's live re-make, more than 40 years after the original, re-creates the atmosphere of an album that startled us back in the Sixties. His 'take it or leave it' vocal delivery, coupled with trademark 'stream of consciousness' ramblings ... but backed as always by a seriously talented bunch of musicians ... make this a fabulous piece of work where it's hard to find a bad track. The old 'joke' about the original album was that every track was genius ... plus 'The Way Young Lovers Do'. The live version even overcomes that criticism, I think.

Anyway ... you may love it, you may hate it, you may feel indifferent about it. But I'd recommend listening to it. I think it's special.

Comments

• he has turned into such an old arse id find it hard to pay for anything he has done.

Ill let you know if i can bring myself to!
  • [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

The 1968 original has long been a favourite of mine. I put it in the top four albums that define the Sixties as they were for me - along with Dylan's 'Blonde on Blonde', Pink Floyd's 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' (we had never before heard guitar like Syd Barrett's) and the Incredible String Band's '5000 Spirits'.

If you are going to do a "top five..." do it properly : - ) and where is "The Velvet Underground and Nico" and, surprised at you, "Music from Big Pink"?

Not my favourite Van LP. Some great tracks but never got the fuss over Astral Weeks. Ahead of its time and not like anything else that was being made then but prefer Veedon Fleece and some others.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

If you are going to do a "top five..." do it properly : - ) and where is "The Velvet Underground and Nico" and, surprised at you, "Music from Big Pink"?

Not my favourite Van LP. Some great tracks but never got the fuss over Astral Weeks. Ahead of its time and not like anything else that was being made then but prefer Veedon Fleece and some others.

"Veedon Fleece"

Even his musical tastes have a cardigan connection!

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

"Veedon Fleece"

Even his musical tastes have a cardigan connection!

:-)
    Veedon Fleece..

That's an anagram of Val Doonican...

Spooky...
  • Other notable knitwear tracks ...

Jumper Jack Flash - Rolling Stones
    Jersey Girl - Tom Waits
    Una Pullover Blanca - Jonathan King
  • Warning! old peoples thread lol
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]Warning! old peoples thread lol

You're one of us now, johnnybev.

Hee hee hee .....